New grower please help me out!

• Thread starter Mrp164
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mrp164

Mrp164

Luckily I spent a little more on my ph / ppm digital meters, this meter just happened to come free with my ferts

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Luckily I spent a little more on my ph / ppm digital meters, this meter just happened to come free with my ferts
it’s even reading high, wet and it’s probably wetter than it’s reading..
anyways just leave her be and tomorrow post here and tell/show us how she’s doing, she’s been through a bit and needs some peace.
nothing more you can do today..
maybe read her a story or play her some music💗

Mrp164

Mrp164

it’s even reading high, wet and it’s probably wetter than it’s reading..
anyways just leave her be and tomorrow post here and tell/show us how she’s doing, she’s been through a bit and needs some peace.
nothing more you can do today..
maybe read her a story or play her some music💗
Any idea what genre 11 roses prefers? Lol

Madbud

Madbud

I'll have to check on it in the morning, it just went to bed a little bit ago.
The meter is a good thing, probes go deep and give an accurate wet/dry reading at the roots. Let her dry out, 2-3 on the scale, overwatering takes time to recover, especially compounded by transplant shock and a change in lighting. She’ll come back eventually.

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

The leaves are very fragile. I would say there is no water in there?
If your leaves are breaking off snaping in he middle of the blade. Either its overfertilized or needs food...needs food im going to say isnt the case...
Ph should be between 6 and 7 in my opinion for soil. You can get locked out above and below that. Next time you water check run off ph and please use the lift the pot method for soil. The scale and everything is good for extra measures but if it feels light water and then pick the pot up again when you water to get a feel for how heavy it should be and water to some run off. To me by looking at it the plants are pointing to the roots or soil or floor. I would raise em off the ground if your floor is cold and keep an eye on new growth. And check the mediums ph. I grow for the most part in coco and perlite 70-30 but I hydrate and mix my coco myself. Also I’ve done bottled and organic nutes and I’ve had problems before with not checking my root ph and I was showing deficiencies with a high ph or 7.6. I fixed at by watering at 6.0 and watering with it until my root ph is back in range.
Soil ph can be as high as 7.3 wo many issues. I believe you want it a lil lower for flowering. Heres the thing hes built up more of a buffer in his soil than he needs.

In all honesty at this point a grower should be aiming to use a little more acidic nute to bring the ph down. Not ph down or up. I hink if he waters with a 6.1 or 2 hes good. The soil ph will react to the lower ph and buffer it. Hes got 6.1 to 7.3 covered in a sense hes going to land on 6.7 ph and as nutes are used and water evaporates the ph goes up to 7.3..... @Aquaman is this info correct?

If op watered with a 6.1 and his soil ph is 7.3. How long would it take before his 6.1 ph drifts back up to 7.3? Would it hit 6.7 then go to 7.3? The reason i ask is the diffy between 6.1 n 7.3 is 1.2. Would you divide the 1.2 by 2 getting .6 then add .6 to the 6.1 input ph giving 6.7...im getting this idea from adjusting ph. If we are at 7 need to be 6.5 ive heard just ph to 6 and you're good. The 7 will buffer the 6 to 6.5...is this true? Probably more so in soiless?
Have to say the last pic looks like underwatering... im not sure if it was overwatering before that and very well could be.

I agree with everyone helping you... 100% root problem I have seen this from PH, root pests and chronic underwatering (which I don't think is the case.

The reason I say it looks like underwatering is because the petiole are also drooping and that's not usually the case with over watering. Possible you went from one extreme to the other?

Definitely inspect the soil... very closely with a scope if ya have is all I have to add. These guys got ya covered.

RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

If your leaves are breaking off snaping in he middle of the blade. Either its overfertilized or needs food...needs food im going to say isnt the case...

Soil ph can be as high as 7.3 wo many issues. I believe you want it a lil lower for flowering. Heres the thing hes built up more of a buffer in his soil than he needs.

In all honesty at this point a grower should be aiming to use a little more acidic nute to bring the ph down. Not ph down or up. I hink if he waters with a 6.1 or 2 hes good. The soil ph will react to the lower ph and buffer it. Hes got 6.1 to 7.3 covered in a sense hes going to land on 6.7 ph and as nutes are used and water evaporates the ph goes up to 7.3..... @Aquaman is this info correct?

If op watered with a 6.1 and his soil ph is 7.3. How long would it take before his 6.1 ph drifts back up to 7.3? Would it hit 6.7 then go to 7.3? The reason i ask is the diffy between 6.1 n 7.3 is 1.2. Would you divide the 1.2 by 2 getting .6 then add .6 to the 6.1 input ph giving 6.7...im getting this idea from adjusting ph. If we are at 7 need to be 6.5 ive heard just ph to 6 and you're good. The 7 will buffer the 6 to 6.5...is this true? Probably more so in soiless?
That is 100% on point bro. You want to water with the opposite spectrum. So if it’s 7.5 I wouldn’t water it with 5.5 as your supposed to I would water at 6 just so you don’t over shoot.

RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

Just keep testing run off every watering until back into range of nutrient uptake and watch new growth.

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

That is 100% on point bro. You want to water with the opposite spectrum. So if it’s 7.5 I wouldn’t water it with 5.5 as your supposed to I would water at 6 just so you don’t over shoot.
Going two points is a 100 point difference on the scale. Im not sure about this...3 would be 1000..4 10,000 5 100,000

Every ph point up or down changes by 10 fold. If going 5 points its ten to the 5th power..10x10x10x10x10=10,000...up or down the ph scale. It logarithmic!

Last edited:
RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

Going two points is a 100 point difference on the scale. Im not sure about this...3 would be 1000..4 10,000 5 100,000

Every ph point up or down changes by 10 fold. If going 5 points its ten to the 5th power..10x10x10x10x10=10,000...up or fown the ph scale. It logarithmic!
Please explain if you can cause I’m not sure what your saying. Lol

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Please explain if you can cause I’m not sure what your saying. Lol
The difference of a ph of 6 and 7. 7 is ten times more alkaline than 6. 8 is 100x more alk than 6. 9 is 1000x more alkaline than 6 so os and so fourth up the scale as well as down.

So you were saying a ph 7.5 to 5.5. Thats a two point move on the scale. Thats 10x10

A 3 point move would be 10x10x10=1,000x more acidic or alkaline depending if you are moving down or up the scale respectively.

That make sense

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

So I read the article but it doesn’t explain to my why it works to do what I said? I grow in coco and perlite and use organics most of the time but still use bottled for some plants that I know before hand grow better using it. And every time I use my ph soil tester and it’s out of range and use opposite spectrum ph water and after a couple of waterings it goes back down. But then also how and what do you use to test alkalinity?

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

So I read the article but it doesn’t explain to my why it works to do what I said? I grow in coco and perlite and use organics most of the time but still use bottled for some plants that I know before hand grow better using it. And every time I use my ph soil tester and it’s out of range and use opposite spectrum ph water and after a couple of waterings it goes back down. But then also how and what do you use to test alkalinity?

If your ph is swinging like that you might not have the buffer needed..give me an idea of the ph readings you are getting. Is it 7 to start with a week later its 6.5....for example

What is the highest and lowest ph readings have you seen?

Im not a coco guy. But theres a number of them on here. I always thought coco was a ph of 7?

The op is in soil not coco.

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

If your ph is swinging like that you might not have the buffer needed..give me an idea of the ph readings you are getting. Is it 7 to start with a week later its 6.5....for example

What is the highest and lowest ph readings have you seen?

Im not a coco guy. But theres a number of them on here
So the time I’m talking about was when I had one plant rise to 7.5 and the others were all at 6.2 all used same water and ph. And I found out later that I forgot to ph the distilled water I had given her(she was further along so I watered it more frequently) and I noticed it when I checked water ph before I fed the others. After first with water going in ph Ed to 6 waited a couple hours then tested her and it dropped to 7.1 after that one. Then after a couple more went back down to 6.2. After it was back in range I saw no more deficiencies and it never went back up.

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Im pretty sure alkalinity is caco3 content of soil and water. You can buy a little water alkalinity tester

To find out either buy a tester or send a soil or wster sample to the respective testing place. Watershed districts might be able yo do it. University?

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

So the time I’m talking about was when I had one plant rise to 7.5 and the others were all at 6.2 all used same water and ph. And I found out later that I forgot to ph the distilled water I had given her(she was further along so I watered it more frequently) and I noticed it when I checked water ph before I fed the others. After first with water going in ph Ed to 6 waited a couple hours then tested her and it dropped to 7.1 after that one. Then after a couple more went back down to 6.2. After it was back in range I saw no more deficiencies and it never went back up.
Distilled water has an extreme tendency to pull elements from your soil...your ph was 7.5 to start with you gave a ph adjusted amount of distilled water at 6 ph. then it went down to 7.1 then to 6.2? Sounds like you pulled some of your buffer out of the substrate...

RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

Distilled water has an extreme tendency to pull elements from your soil...your ph was 7.5 to start with you gave a ph adjusted amount of distilled water at 6 ph. then it went down to 7.1 then to 6.2? Sounds like you pulled some of your buffer out of the substrate...
Idk the science stuff just going from experience. Lol and when I use coco I don’t water to run off. Just enough to avoid run off. Never measured just got used to giving em the same amount while increasing when plant tells me it needs more. The coco I buy comes from Hydrobuilder.com. It says it’s washed repeatedly and pre buffered for precise nutrient uptake. Grow it commercial coco coir is what it’s called.

RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

Idk the science stuff just going from experience. Lol and when I use coco I don’t water to run off. Just enough to avoid run off. Never measured just got used to giving em the same amount while increasing when plant tells me it needs more. The coco I buy comes from Hydrobuilder.com. It says it’s washed repeatedly and pre buffered for precise nutrient uptake. Grow it commercial coco coir is what it’s called.
But I only don’t water till run off when I’m using organics on said plant. I do water to run off with my bottled though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom