New Grower - Some Questions..

• Thread starter letsgobuffalo12
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

letsgobuffalo12

Hi everyone, I'm excited to finally get growing! I bought a 3x3 tent, have a ks3000 with fan(s) and controller. I started with some autos (which after the fact I read might not be such a great idea) from Ethos. I'm going with 3 in 7 gallon tall pots. What do you recommend for a soil start? I've read that I don't want a soil with too many nutrients to start (ie Fox farm). I was going to buy some Kellogg garden/potting from my local home Depot and mix it with some perlite and worm castings. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

New grower   some questions
budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

Hi everyone, I'm excited to finally get growing! I bought a 3x3 tent, have a ks3000 with fan(s) and controller. I started with some autos (which after the fact I read might not be such a great idea) from Ethos. I'm going with 3 in 7 gallon tall pots. What do you recommend for a soil start? I've read that I don't want a soil with too many nutrients to start (ie Fox farm). I was going to buy some Kellogg garden/potting from my local home Depot and mix it with some perlite and worm castings. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!
i would say get some 3 gallon pots 7 gallons just seem to big to me , i tried kelloggs soil once worst shit i ever tried , if u can find it get some pro mix premium organic stuff at walmart

Mothman

Mothman

i would say get some 3 gallon pots 7 gallons just seem to big to me , i tried kelloggs soil once worst shit i ever tried , if u can find it get some pro mix premium organic stuff at walmart
Unless you have a lot of headroom, 7 gal tall pots may be too tall.

Mothman

Mothman

I agree with everyone above about smaller pots, 3 gallon is a good size. Make sure you have drainage.

I plant all my germinated seeds in Fox Farm Happy Frog soil, it will not harm your plants. Don't add any supplement nutrients during seedling stage.
Yeah, I just recently started my current grow in Happy Frog with a touch of dolomite lime to help hold a 6.5 pH. Only supplement I added was, after seedling stage, Epsom salt in tap water when the pots were dry-ish. Then when I potted up, I went from 3-qt pots to 3-gal fabric bags containing Ocean Forest and lime. I’ll do it this way again.

I do recommend that the OP::
1) calibrate the pH meter before the grow, and
2) get an idea of your soil’s initial pH, either a slurry test or measurement of the runoff pH after the 1st watering.

Most of the issues I’ve had as a newer grower have seemed to have a significant soil pH component at their, uh, root. . Dolomite lime seems to keep me in the sweet spot. Now I just need to remember to calibrate before the grow…

Edit to the OP:
Depending on the size of your autos, you may be ok with those tall pots, but watch in case they get top heavy.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Welcome to the farm!

I bought a 3x3 tent, have a ks3000 with fan(s) and controller.
I like it. I use the same controller and that's an excellent light for that tent. I'd try to make more headroom, though. Growing into the light is no fun. For that reason, I have my exhaust fan outside my tent. I also zip-tie my lights to the top of the tent and move the plants up and down. That certainly is a large fan for that size of tent.

How tall is that tent?

I started with some autos (which after the fact I read might not be such a great idea) from Ethos.
Correct. Autos grow so fast it's hard to correct when something goes wrong. Being able to control when they flower is nice, too.

I'm going with 3 in 7 gallon tall pots.
I use 5-gallon fabric pots. Watering can be tricky with plastic pots. 3-gallon pots are okay, too.

What do you recommend for a soil start? I've read that I don't want a soil with too many nutrients to start (ie Fox farm).
I use Fox Farm soil, with amendments. Adding Perlite is highly recommended. Fox Farm Happy Frog doesn't have a lot of nutrients. Their Ocean Forest does. Some growers mix the two.

I like Fox Farm Light Warrior for seedlings. I've only used it once, but I've tried many and it's the best commercial starter soil I've found so far.

I was going to buy some Kellogg garden/potting from my local home Depot and mix it with some perlite and worm castings.
Perlite and earthworm castings are excellent amendments. I know nothing about Kellogg soil.

Any other ideas?
Yes. Decide what type of nutrients you'll be using before you start. Basically, there are two main groups synthetic and organic.

I don't see a heater or a humidifier. Do you have those?

How will you be controlling the light?

Thanks in advance!
You're welcome.

You're off to a great start. I want one of those gray tents. They look so cool!

L

letsgobuffalo12

Thank you so much! The reason for the larger fan was thinking of going to a bigger tent down the line. The tent I have is 6' tall. Yes, I do have a humidifier...I ordered one from AC Infinity that can be put on the outside of the tent but for now I'm using the kids, lol. That's a great idea about the fan, I think I'm going to look into doing that instead of my current setup. Thanks for your helpful advice!

Top Bottom