new grower

• Thread starter indicagrower420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
indicagrower420

indicagrower420

Ok so its my first grow ever im really excited as I did a lot of research but still got more to do just like any apprentice. Well my goal with this post is 2 things:

1) I want to grow 3 pounds in a 6 x 6 area , description of my TO BE setup grow below:

*****I will show pictures of the whole setup/grow for better visual as soon as all my stuff I ordered online gets shipped here*****

I want to yield 3 pounds in a 6 x 6 area doing a soil grow inside a metal shed I am building, its already made just got to put it together when it comes in from shipping. Ill dremel out some holes in the thin metal for the the 2 intake fans but one set to exhaust (8") an my inline(6") ac infinity fans in a push pull setup. Of course the intake filter and carbon air filter for clean and ordorless air. Now my setup is a bit of a hybrid because its outside in so-cal where its been surprisingly nice an even temps(65-70 degrees farenheit) but im covered by 3 lemon trees that provide nice shade for my whole shed and the trees may even raise c02 levels since my intake will be there. That aside I will be trying to make the shed pretty air tight an the base was made of basic 2 x 4's for the framing and 2 sheets of ACX plywood for the flooring. I plan on using vinyl waterproof vinyl on the floor and then I need something to make the walls reflective either with silver foil like product or white film to reflect all the light. Ill be trying to get a super soil set up and mixed, and then really the rest is just:

tips/ideas/advice that any of you guys can give me to yield 3 pounds and for first time growers..I know im ambitious for the first try but I want high quality DANK DANK ass buds and 3 pounds. I did some research an found critical kush is a canidate for my grow.

MY SECOND GOAL WITH THIS POST IS TO EXPLAIN :

2) Give a review an follow up on my KINGBRITE led I just bought today (05/18/20) and waiting to see how long it takes to get here and to explain some stuff I could not find anywhere on the internet.

Ok so I did all my research and got :
1 ) Kingbrite hlg550 v4 quantum grow light lm301h with separate control switch for cree 660 nm UV IR chips
2) Kingbrite 240W samsung lm301h mix cree 660nm uv ir quantum led board V4 led grow lights for indoor plants

I just ordered them so I will update the post when I get them to let you all know how fast and if they got here in one piece. I will of course update the thread if anything ever goes wrong with the light just to give an in depth view of what people are getting into buying these as I will find out.

Now some important info: So when I was searching and found the lights I want on alibaba I proceeded to add to my cart and then try an check out but I could not because the seller had to set the "TRADE TERMS" which basically means who pays (your or the seller)what in shipping and fees. So I could not pay through ali baba because the trader forgot to set the trade terms and we are on different sleep schedules (Im from the US) so I had to wait 3 days to basically ask if I can get a paypal invoice to avoid all the headache. Long story short that worked out amazing and it was both VIVI LIU and JERRY MENG. They did good, Jerry did mention a lil discount for the wait but I did not get it. Its ok though im just glad after 3 days I got the lights bought online.

I will also let you guys know of any other costs besides shipping like duties , vats an all that because I could not find the answer to this question anywhere for US people.

So yeah I just was seeking answers to my question of how to yield 3 lbs of high grade dank buds and to do a review/grow journal... Stay tuned.

Dan789

Dan789

Welcome to the farm btw, love the optimism, 3lbs first thing out of the starting blocks. Just curious on why your throttling your harvest to just three pounds?
Seriously without any experience, I’d suggest a more modest approach, like concentrate on making it to harvest.
I can’t offer a magic solution, as if there is one, it’s eluded most on this site. Just plain persistence, keeping track of what works for others and if it might work for your growing style, keeping your grow area clean. Good luck, hope your grow is successful.

Last edited:
indicagrower420

indicagrower420

Welcome to the farm btw, love the optimism, 3lbs first thing out of the starting blocks. Just curious on why your throttling your harvest to just three pounds?
Seriously without any experience, I’d suggest a more modest approach, like concentrate on making it to harvest.
I can’t offer a magic solution, as if there is one, it’s eluded most on this site. Just plain persistence, keeping track of what works for others and if it might work for your growing style, keeping your grow area clean. Good luck, hope your grow is successful.

I smoke a lot and I need to stop smoking blunts but its mostly for myself and if I wanted to match or trade buds with my friends im able too. Appreciate the support. And lmao I know im ambitious 3 pounds on first try, IF I PULL THIS OFF IM GONNA HAVE HELLA PEOPLE HATING hahaha....

Dan789

Dan789

To your original question, no one arrives at that harvest bonanza without a lot of experience to back them up, plus proven genetic’s...
Start a grow diary, so all of us can follow your success, then at the end we’ll all get to see how you did...

indicagrower420

indicagrower420

Thank you guys. Lets see how I do ill update the thread when i get the grow setup by june 4th when my last package should arrive

indicagrower420

indicagrower420

I also decided to cancel my order for the metal shed and will instead be making my own out of wood, insulate it, and make it to my needs. Itll be a nice DIY until I get all my grow supplies

indicagrower420

indicagrower420

UPDATE: So I kept seeing how hard it is to keep temperatures steady for the water in the dwc buckets. After extensive research here is what I found out and what I plan to do.

Learned: Peltier chips can be used to cool down either water or room temps, (thermo-electric).

My idea: Cool off ambient temps to make it easier to maintaining water temps, if I need to cool down water temps then simple ice bottle...

Planned application: Insulate and seal my shed very well and use this Very easy simple under 100 dollar diy air cooler and keep my ambient temps down. I wont be using a water chiller because in theory my air cooler will keep the ambient temps down and if the water temps did rise then ill be adding the ice water bottles. But insulation here would be the important factor and could be expensive so here is my solution. So ill make a small 6 x 4 space where ill be growing within the 6 x 8 shed and insulate it very well using 2 x 6's framing(2 x 6s are needed for r 30 insulation) for the insulated 6 x 4 space.. So with my exterior siding being a bright white (Heat reflection) great insulation and sealed environment. I should be able to control my environment.

That is the idea I had , maybe some of you got something useful out this.

pump
car radiator fan
heat exchanger (8 x 8)
water pump
tubing
ice cooler
fittings

If you guys want the link let me know and ill post it.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

UPDATE: So I kept seeing how hard it is to keep temperatures steady for the water in the dwc buckets. After extensive research here is what I found out and what I plan to do.

Learned: Peltier chips can be used to cool down either water or room temps, (thermo-electric).

My idea: Cool off ambient temps to make it easier to maintaining water temps, if I need to cool down water temps then simple ice bottle...

Planned application: Insulate and seal my shed very well and use this Very easy simple under 100 dollar diy air cooler and keep my ambient temps down. I wont be using a water chiller because in theory my air cooler will keep the ambient temps down and if the water temps did rise then ill be adding the ice water bottles. But insulation here would be the important factor and could be expensive so here is my solution. So ill make a small 6 x 4 space where ill be growing within the 6 x 8 shed and insulate it very well using 2 x 6's framing(2 x 6s are needed for r 30 insulation) for the insulated 6 x 4 space.. So with my exterior siding being a bright white (Heat reflection) great insulation and sealed environment. I should be able to control my environment.

pump
car radiator fan
heat exchanger (8 x 8)
water pump
tubing
ice cooler
fittings

Save your money. Been there done that. If your in Canada I will ship you my 300w Peltier it won't work.

Diy option is an old water cooler. Take a look on YouTube.

What are the temps?

How is it set up?

Is there a res inside or outside the tent?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

pump
car radiator fan
heat exchanger (8 x 8)
water pump
tubing
ice cooler
fittings

Also Peltier are extremely inefficient

indicagrower420

indicagrower420

OK i been busy so I could not reply soon, but thanks for all the advice I read through about 60% of the new comments there was sure a lot of them but ill finish them after this message. Here check this out its the material I got ( $530 bucks at home depot). Basically im making a 8 x 4 x 6 tall shed that will be filled with 3 dwc totes (18 gallon). Intake fan with filter and exhaust fan with carbon air filter. , DIY air cooler from this guy on on youtube
. That diy air cooler will be in a good cooler so the cold lasts, then insulate it in a box and fix everything compact , then run then fan to a duct and into my grow space, .. Led lights I have a 480 watt kingbrite and a 240 watt kingbrite both with infared(660nm reds), uv and 3000k light warmth , I also got 3 mixjoy led lights that are 150 watts each and have these specs check it out... That will be supplemental light if I need them. Oh for veg 12 strips of 6000k or 6500k I forget but I need to order them because there like 80 for them all and Ill have some 2 x 3/s to frame these up with to make it span the whole shed. Oh and I got radiant barrier for the reflective walls but I also have a bright white primer to reflect the light off the shed. A canopy I may buy too just for shade , it has not been hot here in south cali yet but I hope this deep solar minimum works in favor of my first grow lol.

2 X 4 s
20200524 191527 1
20200524 195919
Cropped kingbrite
Sheets of plywood
indicagrower420

indicagrower420

UPDATE: I dont have pictures because I forgot to take them but I will take pictures on my progress on the shed. I got the foundation , base for the shed now I need to build the walls and I finished one of them today but ill finish this in 4 days tops.. Oh and my lights, it took less than 2 weeks for my light to get here, im to lazy to check but if I had to guess id say a 10 days total from china to my door in Cali. Oh also I am doing a diy air cooler I found from a youtube video ill let you guys know how well that works because the guy said it cooled down his 12 foot room that makes me happy knowing I have a 8 x 3.5 x 6 shed(length , width , height)

Small kingbrite for forum
Small kingbrite pic for forum
20200528 011404 1
indicagrower420

indicagrower420

Sorry about the delayed update but yeah 2 more days and ill be done I got all the sheets of plywood cut for the inside and just need to prime them and put screw it all in. Then the other lil platform is the additional room thats 4 long and 4 wide. This room will be for utility and storage or if I need to work on the plant. The main structure is 39 inches wide . 6 foot tall and 8 foot long. Width wise its enough for a big plant maybe a lil small but it should work. and length/height wise I should be good with an indica , scrog and topping. I also may change my hydroponics into living soil I started looking into it and one im all excited and researching all about it and I learned a lot. Its not only very efficient when you get it going but the plant get what it wants as opposed to force feeding. Granted the grow time is slower but the money you save by using the same soil is another pro compared to traditional soil or hydro. So any tips on that would great be appreciated remember I want to grow pound plants. so 3 of them. do you think itll fit in that space I have??? Be critical and blunt its ok I want to learn and im not sensitive so let me hear your advice thank you guys and ill keep you updated.

SHed with roof
indicagrower420

indicagrower420

Got the roof in , the side walls with mylar material, completely sealed inside an from the outside. Now I just need to cut the sheets of plywood for the siding for the small 4 x 4 attachment room an attach them to the framing an ill be done. Hopefully by this weekend. I'm gonna order the seeds soon some critical kush or Northern lights. Any recommendations on strong indicators with high yields in going for 3lbs in this space (7.5ft long x 3 ft wide x 6 feet tall) got 1000 watts in led light 3000k ,all 1k watts of those lights have IR an only 600 watts have the LG uv light which I read may or may not increase resin production so ill see because I'll grow all 1 strain an have the UV lights next to each other an the other 2 lights covering another plant to see if there is a difference.

MeatHead

MeatHead

I'm tagging along. Love a good project like this. Now I want to build a shed.
I don't want to be a negative Nelly, but you may want to invest in a chiller. I've read every post, so I see your DIY air cooler and ice bottle backup idea. You'll end up going with ice bottles. And then you'll realize that the bottles melt within 15 minutes. I'm not going to be negative though. I want you to prove me wrong, bro.

Anthem

Anthem

I did not see any insulation placed in the walls. I hope you have installed batt insulation before the plywood. In addition to the batt insulation I would also pick up some of the rigid insulation from depot and install behind the plywood. Your air cooler idea is cool, but to be honest I would just purchase a chiller in you are going to go hydro. Anything above 70 degrees for the water and you are going to have root problems

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I did not see any insulation placed in the walls. I hope you have installed batt insulation before the plywood. In addition to the batt insulation I would also pick up some of the rigid insulation from depot and install behind the plywood. Your air cooler idea is cool, but to be honest I would just purchase a chiller in you are going to go hydro. Anything above 70 degrees for the water and you are going to have root problems
I run 72-73f I'm not sure where that myth started but I think it's an old school thought before ppl understand BBs, pythium and how they actually work. Pythium (root rot) is not temperature selective and there are many different species some of which thrive in very cold water.

Often you hear the DO argument but that's also an exaggerated fact imo and experience. It's the gas exchange that's important.

It is true that in warmer water the metabolism of pythium, bacteria but also the plant is increased. So growth is faster but also any infection would progress faster.

Not trying to be argumentative just clear up some information that I feel is wrong and has been for a long time. Understandably it's often thought of as fact because it's been repeated for such a long time. I do believe that on a commercial scale cooler temps are beneficial as more tends to go unnoticed and cooler temps will give you slightly more time to react but that has been translated into anything over 70 gives root rot and that is just not true

MeatHead

MeatHead

I run 72-73f I'm not sure where that myth started but I think it's an old school thought before ppl understand BBs, pythium and how they actually work. Pythium (root rot) is not temperature selective and there are many different species some of which thrive in very cold water.

Often you hear the DO argument but that's also an exaggerated fact imo and experience. It's the gas exchange that's important.

It is true that in warmer water the metabolism of pythium, bacteria but also the plant is increased. So growth is faster but also any infection would progress faster.

Not trying to be argumentative just clear up some information that I feel is wrong and has been for a long time. Understandably it's often thought of as fact because it's been repeated for such a long time. I do believe that on a commercial scale cooler temps are beneficial as more tends to go unnoticed and cooler temps will give you slightly more time to react but that has been translated into anything over 70 gives root rot and that is just not true

"It's the gas exchange that's important..." Do you mean gas exchange taking place in the water? I'm a newb on my first grow myself, and I've never heard of gas exchange taking place in the water/nute solution. Can you explain that or point me in a direction to learn about it? I'm just trying to learn. Thanks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom