New grower

• Thread starter Cuspian
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Cuspian

Hello. New grower here. I'm growing indoors, in soil with led lights. Having issues and think it's due to lack of nitrogen but really not sure. Also New to forums and posting so please bear with me as I get my bearings. To me the plants look healthy except for the inside lower branches which are yellowing then turning crispy and dropping off. Plants are in veg stage with 18/6 lights. They have seemed really happy til this week.
New grower

C

Cuspian

Hello. New grower here. I'm growing indoors, in soil with led lights. Having issues and think it's due to lack of nitrogen but really not sure. Also New to forums and posting so please bear with me as I get my bearings. To me the plants look healthy except for the inside lower branches which are yellowing then turning crispy and dropping off. Plants are in veg stage with 18/6 lights. They have seemed really happy til this week. View attachment 1334498
20230224 141408
20230224 141340
20230224 141326
20230224 141248
20230224 141233
20230224 141129
20230224 141122
20230223 225901
20230223 225825
IMG 20230223 160408 01
20230224 141356

IMG 20230220 155335 03
IMG 20230220 155335 04
Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

Hello & welcome.

Looks like some foliage is touching the ground, you might want to remove them.

Hard to say as some pics the soil looks damp and others not so much.

At a guess they are over watered. Leaves are droopy, some swollen, and some dying.

Is the pot heavy and damp or

freezeland2

freezeland2

I think it's just from those leaves not getting light. @Shaded_One @mysticepipedon @freezeland2
I’m thinking the OP needs some defoliation in the lower parts of the plant and perhaps some more air flow.
Knowing what if anything the plant is receiving nutrient wise, water practices etc would be helpful to offer much more advice.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Don't increase nutrients just because the lowest leaves are dying. This is no big deal. Things are looking good.

Time to do a little defoliation on the lower part of the plant, starting with those yellow leaves and any leaf touching the soil. Then a little more to improve air circulation, and expose bud sites to direct light.

C

Cuspian

Hello & welcome.

Looks like some foliage is touching the ground, you might want to remove them.

Hard to say as some pics the soil looks damp and others not so much.

At a guess they are over watered. Leaves are droopy, some swollen, and some dying.

Is the pot heavy and damp or

C

Cuspian

I've been using the finger test, knuckle deep most of the time to test moisture. I did water with pH'd water prior to today's pics. Just tested with a probe moisture meter and it is centered in the green for both plants. I'm including photos of nutes I'm using as well as my journal so far. I will trim yellow leaves tonight.
20230224 182043
20230224 182054
20230224 182014
20230224 181958
20230224 181613

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

@Cuspian

Good stuff.

[q]I've been using the finger test, knuckle deep most of the time to test moisture.[/q]

Not the best way. Next time you water, how much later, pick up the pot. Don’t water again until it’s less than half the weight. You can check with the meter but only so you see if it’s right. Go by weight.

How’s the plant with the buds doing?

C

Cuspian

@Cuspian

Good stuff.

[q]I've been using the finger test, knuckle deep most of the time to test moisture.[/q]

Not the best way. Next time you water, how much later, pick up the pot. Don’t water again until it’s less than half the weight. You can check with the meter but only so you see if it’s right. Go by weight.

How’s the plant with the buds doing?
The auto is doing well, not showing any signs of issues so far...getting nice and sticky 😁

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

@Zen_Seeker

If I pH down my water too much am I able to use pH up or is that bad practice? I know, bee careful in the first place but occasionally it happens to a nube 😆
No issue but, yes, try and dose incrementally so that you don't overdo it.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
@Zen_Seeker

If I pH down my water too much am I able to use pH up or is that bad practice? I know, bee careful in the first place but occasionally it happens to a nube 😆
Dilute your ph down. I'll use a about 1 oz water drop a drop of down in it then use drips of that to lower the ph....if yours is anything like mine just a drop will lower my ph .5 in a gallon of water

and if you're in soil you don't have to be right on the numbers as long as I'm between 6.8 and 6.2 when I feed I'm good

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

@Zen_Seeker

Short answer, yes.

Long answer...as noted a little at a time is best until you know how much for your setup. Use a syringe or shot glass. I stick with cc/ml or cooking measurements but others use ppm and meters.

If you get your water ready the day before check ph. Then add nutes or epsom or whatever for that period. One at a time. Shake well after each addition. When done let sit an hour or so and ph again. If okay, 5.6 - 6.8 give or take, use as needed. If to high or low use what you have to correct.

Most nutrients I use raise ph so I can try adding rather than ph up but if I’m in a hurry a little ph up works fine.

I only mix up to 7.5L at a time. But always have at least two 7.5L containers and a 38L bucket full of 24hr old water handy.

Hope that’s not more info than you wanted. 👍😝

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I've never had to go through the steps I've read above. I just mix it all up. Check PPM. Too low? More base. Check PH. Adjust accordingly. I usually leave the meter in the bucket for a few minutes to let the PH settle in and as long as I'm in range I water my girls. Maybe since I don't use a lot of amendments I'm ok but I've heard of some nutrients reacting with others if you don't mix them in a particular order.

I use plastic pipettes to draw the amount of fertilizer I need out of the bottle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom