New grower

• Thread starter Nwest
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nwest

Nwest

Building a grow room in Washington state what are some things to consider its going to be in an insulated and heated shop that I'm building any advice would be appreciated I just got out of the service so I have been out of the loop for awhile

Nwest

Nwest

My space is 10'x10 I have 2 1000 watt MH bulbs and the ballasts I'm not sure which reflectors I should use or what I should use for ventilation I can spend up $10,000 I'm not sure if I should grow in soil or hydro that's why I haven't got a system yet

surfguitar

surfguitar

If it's your first grow maybe try doing a standard vent room at first.

Get ~800cfm fan to vent air out of your room, some circulating fans, possibly a ~50pint dehumidy, carbon filter.
That should have you pretty set.

Nwest

Nwest

Pull air from outside them vent the old air into the shop? Thanks for the reply

surfguitar

surfguitar

That's what I would do, make sure to put a small pre filter on the intake

Nwest

Nwest

Awesome thank you for your advice will the filter held with condensation?

surfguitar

surfguitar

I dunno, the main thing it helps with is bug control. Maybe others can chime in on condensation, I'm assuming if your pulling air from a very cold area?

Nwest

Nwest

Is I will be pulling fresh air from outside and the winters are cold.

Tank333

Tank333

My space is 10'x10 I have 2 1000 watt MH bulbs and the ballasts I'm not sure which reflectors I should use or what I should use for ventilation I can spend up $10,000 I'm not sure if I should grow in soil or hydro that's why I haven't got a system yet
Hydro's not too hard. Just gotta remember to check all your parameters to make sure the girls keep getting fed. It's a little intimidating at first, but worth learning about IMO.

As for the lights you have, that'll cover half your room pretty well. A 1kw will do a 5x5 space pretty well. That gives 40 watts per square ft. I would get a pair of air-cooled hoods, vent outside air through the hoods and back out of the room. That'll keep a good majority of the heat from the lights out of the room. If you're getting condensation, you'll need to work things around so you can use a lung room to warm your air up a bit before sucking it through the hoods. I use the unfinished portion of my basement as a lung room. I pull fresh, cool air from inside there into the hoods, and then expell that up into the living room vents to help heat the house.

A filter on the intake vent keeps bugs and leaves and stuff from getting inside your hoods. I hooked my hoods up poorly the first time I ever set them up, and sucked in a wet leaf that blew the first bulb in the line...

Nwest

Nwest

Awesome thanks man I want to have the option of growing tall plants with big yields should I look at a buckit kit setup? And I'm only planning on growing 24 plants but I want to split them up so I will have less time between harvest any thoughts on that should I build two rooms within the space?

Tank333

Tank333

No, I wouldn't split the space up. I would simply have a couple systems in the room, each on a seperate cycle. I am working on getting a 4-way perpetual going. That way I can harvest every 16 days and always have a smaller amount of work to do, rather than days at a time where I'm trimming all day every day...

Growing large plants I would definitely say you should do RDWC, but that style of growing is a bit advanced for a beginner. Do you have ANY experience growing, or is this your first rodeo?

Latest posts

Top Bottom