New Grower

• Thread starter TurdFerguson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson

Trying to grow for my daughter who suffers from depression and anxiety. She also has a lot of pain from an old back injury. Seems to me to be more cost effective to grow instead of buy from friends, plus she can pick the strain/variety she wants to get the desired effect for her issues. Just started the research I need to do to set up my own small grow tent. One question I do have is if I grow in soil and I use, let’s say Fox Farms soil, do I need to mix anything else with it? If I do, then what and how much? I appreciate any help on this subject.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
The soil mix I use is:

40% FFOF
40% Canna Coco
20% Perlite

And a bit of dolomite lime for ph buffering, and added calcium and magnesium. It’s a pretty simple recipe that has worked well for me personally.

TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson

The soil mix I use is:

40% FFOF
40% Canna Coco
20% Perlite

And a bit of dolomite lime for ph buffering, and added calcium and magnesium. It’s a pretty simple recipe that has worked well for me personally.
Thank you, JWM2, that is just what I was looking for. My only experience with growing was When I grew my own tomatoes. All I did was mix in some manure and throw some Miracle-Gro on it! This is going to be a much more daunting task I’m sure. Still don’t know what’s up with all of the different pots, but I’ve got the grow tents and lighting all figured out. Thanks again!

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

Imo don't mix it with anything at first. You need to get a feel for a lot and people use ffof and promix etc. straight up for years. It'll only be an asset, its also totally unnecessary to add anything to grow quality medicine.

TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson

Imo don't mix it with anything at first. You need to get a feel for a lot and people use ffof and promix etc. straight up for years. It'll only be an asset, its also totally unnecessary to add anything to grow quality medicine.
Thank you! I want to learn a lot, but for my very first grow, I wanted to keep it as simple as possible. Thanks again.

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

Thank you! I want to learn a lot, but for my very first grow, I wanted to keep it as simple as possible. Thanks again.
Forgot to add. Use only plain water until the plants start yellowing from the bottom up, not in between the leaf veins. The ocean forest will have plenty in it. I use(d) promix retail a lot which has nutrients in it that aren't time release, like ocean forest does, and itll feed a plant from seed for about 6 weeks of growth on its own with just water. Ph is also way less important in peat, soil, and coco premade mixes, full coco being an exception to this. A ppm meter will be useful for learning. I also recommend fabric pots instead of plastic. Any brand, Walmart has cheap fabric grocery bags that work well. It's much easier to not overwater plants in fabric pots, as well as have them reach larger, more natural size expressions of their genetics. Immature plants in solid pots will not express their full genetic size. Other than that, you can ppm check your collected runoff to see how much food is left in the medium and what it will tolerate. Good way to confirm your analysis. The cheap light blue ones on amazon work fine at first and ive actually never broken one over a decade of growing, though i don't use them anymore. Can i ask you about your food plans and lights? Adding uvb adds noticeable potency increases when using only hps. HPS alone doesn't provide enough uvb(in my opinion) to allow the plant to fully express its potency. Even just hanging a few cfl coils will improve this. Feel free to ask me anything.

TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson

Forgot to add. Use only plain water until the plants start yellowing from the bottom up, not in between the leaf veins. The ocean forest will have plenty in it. I use(d) promix retail a lot which has nutrients in it that aren't time release, like ocean forest does, and itll feed a plant from seed for about 6 weeks of growth on its own with just water. Ph is also way less important in peat, soil, and coco premade mixes, full coco being an exception to this. A ppm meter will be useful for learning. I also recommend fabric pots instead of plastic. Any brand, Walmart has cheap fabric grocery bags that work well. It's much easier to not overwater plants in fabric pots, as well as have them reach larger, more natural size expressions of their genetics. Immature plants in solid pots will not express their full genetic size. Other than that, you can ppm check your collected runoff to see how much food is left in the medium and what it will tolerate. Good way to confirm your analysis. The cheap light blue ones on amazon work fine at first and ive actually never broken one over a decade of growing, though i don't use them anymore. Can i ask you about your food plans and lights? Adding uvb adds noticeable potency increases when using only hps. HPS alone doesn't provide enough uvb(in my opinion) to allow the plant to fully express its potency. Even just hanging a few cfl coils will improve this. Feel free to ask me anything.
Thank you! I am just starting my research into cultivation (literally three days ago), and I still have many things, like nutrients to consider. I think I will rely heavily on experts like yourself! I have decided on LED’s (600watt) for lighting. Thought I might try this SCRoG thing I keep hearing about. Will be using a 4x4x80 tent to grow two plants.

Top Bottom