New growth light green on outside

• Thread starter TrichromeFan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

I have 5 Blackberry OG plants in a RDWC system. H&G aqua flakes. Veg stage @1100ppm & @65 degrees. All the other plants seem good, but this one shows funky new growth. PH ranges from 5.6 - 6.4. I figured it to be a Mg deficiency, So I added 5ml per gal of Botanicare cal mag plus to the rez. I wanted to see if anyone has any input on what they think it might be.
New growth light green on outside 2

New growth light green on outside

New growth light green on outside 3

Thanks everybody,

-TF

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
could be an iron def - too much mag could be locking out iron

if it looks worse (after the extra cal mag) youll know for sure thats what it is

is that plant bigger or smaller then the rest or about the same?

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

It is the tallest plant. It has always been the tallest, but not the fullest. I was running no cal mag up to a couple of days ago. Since then, it is hard to say so far, plus or minus. I hear that H&G has a lot of iron to begin with as well. It just seems odd that it is just the one plant. At best on the others there is some slightly less green between leaf veins.

420Gator

420Gator

I had a similar problem last run, there was one plant that was so tall it was above the lights the entire grow and the bud came out really airy no matter what I did it just always looked funny. It was only 1 of 24 so I didn't care so much and figured it must have been geneticlly "challenged" ever since it was cut. Good luck

C

casmel

could be an iron def - too much mag could be locking out iron

if it looks worse (after the extra cal mag) youll know for sure thats what it is

is that plant bigger or smaller then the rest or about the same?

I think i have the same problem . Very strange , i gave them mg also and it has gone worse . the are several causes to this kind of yellowing . you should update the pics and see what happens nect , if the half way of the leaves will yellow out then its same as i have or maybe it will be different .

Chlorosis is typically caused when leaves do not have enough nutrients to synthesise all the chlorophyll they need. It can be brought about by a combination of factors including:

* a specific mineral deficiency in the soil, such as iron[2] or magnesium [3]
* deficient nitrogen and/or proteins[3]
* a soil pH at which minerals become unavailable for absorption by the roots [4]
* poor drainage (waterlogged roots) [5]
* damaged and/or compacted roots [6]
* pesticides and particularly herbicides may cause chlorosis, both to target weeds and occasionally to the crop being treated.[7]
* exposure to sulphur dioxide[8]

Of course, the exact conditions would be different for different plants. For example, Azaleas prefer unusually acidic soil and rice isn't troubled by waterlogged soil.

I think i have the problem 5 and 6 too , will see in the end of grow then ill check the roots also .

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Here you go. Hot off the press.

Root pic you say?
How's this?
IMG 1897

Foliage shot of the plant top minutes ago.
IMG 1895

Different plant. Shorter and bushier, but very healthy.
Was taking a pic to show the crazy stem growth (just under 5 weeks from clone), and noticed some mushy portion of the 1" starter cube. Mushy=no good in my book. I will have to top feed by hand some more hydro fungicide treated water, and hand flush from the top next rez changeout.

IMG 1900

What do you think there Lost? Risky running the top feed at this point with the hydroton?

-TF

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Also, these plants had a water pump outage for a day in the veg stage. The plants were wilted, with the problem plant wilting the most. I sprayed them with RO, and watered them after that, with all of them bouncing back. Don't know if that is a factor, but it is something unique about that one plant. Also, these were dispensary clones. I have no true knowledge that they are all from the same plant.

L

Lost

I'd add calmag and see how she is.

Did you up the amount of light within a week of this happening?

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Thanks Lost,
I added Botanicare cal mag plus at 5ml per gal to the rez last friday. No noticeable difference. I did go from 400w to 600w setting. That was after this problem happened though.

L

Lost

I would try bumping the feeding down to the 800ppm range and see what happens.. :)

Billygoat

Billygoat

Very curious as to this problem. I had issues like this and thought it was Iron problems. I think it was brought on by a bad meter probe and ph was wrong.

I hope you work the problem out.
Take care,
BG

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
yeah BG I agree - looks like classic iron def to me - maybe due to a lockout

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Thanks guys,
I will drop the ppms, and check with another meter as well.

O

OZUT

Are you using R/O water? If you're not, the 1,100 ppm may be low if you're using tap water. I had this probably a couple of grows ago when my r/o system needed to be changed and I was lazy, so for that grow I was using tap water that had a ppm of about 400. I kept the ppm the same as when I was using the r/o system by adding less nutes. The same thing started happened in about 3 days that's going on in your pictures. I flushed and it got more pale, so I bumped it up and just mixed my nutes the same as if it was R/O water and it cleared up in 2 days. The ppm with the regular feed and tap water was about 1,700 and I had zero problems with the high ppm. If you give it a shot, bump it up slowly in case yours reacts different or if your problem is not the same as what happened with mine.

Good luck

L

Lost

ozut - this is an MPB setup and the PPM's a the highest get to maybe 130-1400 MAX.

Different sstems, different nute quantities (MPB go thru alot for water and thus if ou run the nutes too high, tey get concentrated in the plant and bam, lockout

Billy, I agree, kinda looks like a ph issue but MPB's seem to always look the same when there is a problem, lol..

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
1100 ppm is 1100 ppm - my well water is like 370 and if my target is 1100 I wouldnt mix to 1470

I use ro - but there was a time that I didnt

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

OK,
New nutes are right about 800ppm. Still have some cal mag plus in there just in case. Checked the PH meter. It was reading low by .3

My theory is that is goes back to the roots drying out that one time in veg. I remember that Dizzle had some bad rot problems after watering roots that had dried out. The one plant with the bad symptoms is the same one that dried out the most. I think that maybe the hydro fungicide has been saving my ass, and that's the only difference. Next time I'll try to avoid that screw up.

This is from today. Maybe a little better, but too soon to tell.

IMG 1913
Top Bottom