New Guy, 3rd Grown In 3 Decades - Feedback Please

• Thread starter Pickford
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pickford

Pickford

Hey fellas,
This will be my 3rd grow, one for each decade. 90s I used cfl in my closet as akid. Then a 400w hps in the early 2000s - and now its time to get serious with an led.

Feedback is welcome - what can I do better?

Got the 4x4 tent, using three, 5 gallon buckets. 2 white widow autos by Dutch Passion, 1 Violator Kush by Barneys. DWC with advanced nutes.

I will be using the scrog method and plan to be pretty aggressive with lst and topping, keeping the plants as short and bushy as possible.

I am on a budget and have tossed and turned over so many leds, Mars and Vipar are the front runners - leaning towards the Vipar 900w - rated at 450 actual watts, claiming it replaces a 1000w hps (which I doubt) - but I don't mind adding more lights down the road.

Ill order the light this Friday, the rest is g2g.

I do not have a ventilation system in place yet - I am prepared to install one if the temps are out of hand.

Yield - of course Id love two pounds dry but I am hoping 1-1.5 is very realistic.

Thoughts guys?

Anything I can add to make this a better grow? By the time flowering comes around I will likely add another led, maybe some ufo's or a couple of the old school Mars 300, though I worry about the heat.

My main concern is that 3 plants may get crowded. What would you all recommend for veg time?

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Ive had the 1200 watt for more than 2 years, still going. They finish plants about 2 weeks early due to the added ir and uv

Pickford

Pickford

Do you trust tge listed actual wattage?

Cob vs panel - better penetration? wider footprint?

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
CoB has more uniform light distribution, I dont know about penetration. 5 watt leds leave blue and red shadows on the lower growth, CoB light looks totally pink with no breakup of colors on the lower growth

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Welcome to the farm! You're getting pretty good feedback, I have nothing to add at this time. :D

Pickford

Pickford

What'yall think is an appropriate veg time? my tent is 6.5 feet high and im using 5 gal bucks. i was going to top 3 times and fold em in half twice..

3 plants too much?

sun

sun

i dont know dwc i do soil ,but if i was going to veg a violator kush id veg for three months.i dont know about autos.

Pickford

Pickford

Wow, no kidding. I would think a three month veg would fill up an entire 4x4, just 1 plant..

Planning to run the autos with the kush so i can stagger the harvests.

sun

sun

again i dont know autos , but im thinking your ww autos will finish up before you start flowering your violator kush . long veg for the weight your looking to yield. the violator shouldent stretch to much flowering.

sixstring

sixstring

i would take a hard look at some better led panels like this

or if you are handy you can get some kits like this and make your own frames

you will need mulitple panels if you go with those cheaper amazon panels.

Pickford

Pickford

i would take a hard look at some better led panels like this

or if you are handy you can get some kits like this and make your own frames

you will need mulitple panels if you go with those cheaper amazon panels.

Thanks man. Im not handy and 700 is just out of my range right now.

Ive been studying the website link Mcskunkin sent, seems pretty legit, los of data, certs, etc. Now Im leery because I do know chinese led get a bad rap. Paralysis by analysis now ha.

sixstring

sixstring

If it was me i woukd just get a 600w hps for now then and save up for better cob lights

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Next time I buy a light I will just get a hps, you get much larger yields and I am tired of running out of bud. The cob leds help grow super frosty dense nugs but the size just isnt there, maybe I will try both at once.

Pickford

Pickford

Well now I'm back to the drawing board lol..

McSkunk: were able to get 4-6 oz dry per plant with your cob?

Top Bottom