New guy intro...

• Thread starter KushDad
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

KushDad

Hey everyone, just joined up to access your brains and knowledge and share my own once I'm well versed in Marijuanics!

I started my first grow this summer when i jammed a seed I found in some chronic I purchased and jammed it into a lemon tree's pot that we put in out backyard for the summer. Never checked it but my room mate found a 10 inch plant that looked very nice several weeks later and im north of the 49th so it was already flowering and male.

I was hooked anyways and got some seeds from a friend in mid oct, germinated them in a bit of water a few days and started my first grow. Soil with a 7500 lumen CFL, 4 seeds at first, wanted to add another a month later so did. It was farther from the light and stretched like crazy. Added a 2500 lumen bulb on a shoplight and 2 2500 lumen 4 foot tubes (roughly on lumens and size) about 2 months into the grow.

I used flora nova grow fert 7-4-10 (3 tblsp per gal... maybe too much) distilled water unless I run out in which case balanced tap. At the same time as getting the new lights I started 4 clones of black demina in the same space. grow space is a closet about 4.5'X3'X8 with mylar over most of the wall surface.

January 16 I set up a 400W HPS with a white shade and a Hortilux enhanced spectrum HPS, kept the tubes and the shoplight in there and moved the 7500 lumen CFL into a TV stand draped with mylar and put the 4 clones in it. After 1 week I started flowering, as all the plants started showing the white hairs defining them as female.
(on a side note, 5 out of 5 plants are female, I assume feminized seeds but I have been told they arent, I also am not sure of the exact strain but they look to be about a 70-30 indica sativa. Maybe Im lucky?)

3 weeks into flowering and I couldnt be happier. Ive moved the clones from the TV stand to a crawlspace, gave the 7500 CFL back to a friend and put 2 shoplights on them. The 400w and the 2 flourescent tubes are great, had a fan pointing into the closet, door remains open 10-12 inches but some higher leaves began to wilt so I suspended the fan inside and it sits right on the bulb to cool it as well as circulate air. Flowering I use flora nova bloom 4-8-7, 3-4 tsp per gal distilled water.

3 plants were untouched, all are great, the youngest stretched so far I cropped its top, then again, then again, then I began bending in the branches because It was out of control tall. 1 healthy plant was topped once and looks amazing. The smell is getting to me a bit, all my friends say its amazing but they dont have to sleep and live in it... I can cope.

Im getting 4 more clones and another shoplight to go in the TV stand. (Purple kush, OG kush or White berry)

Any tips questions suggestions are very welcome, I have a friend who has had several mildly successful grows (dont know how mine seem to be perfect) so my network of info isnt very formidable. I would love to improve my clones or next set.

Trying to upload pics but they're huge so Ill have to resize and get them on tomorrow.

Closet2
New guy intro 2
Plants 058jpg
M

mellokitty

sounds like somebody did their homework? excellent first grow!

you'll want to start dealing with that smell soon. the smell of live cannabis is your ticket to "door flying off hinges land" (if you think it's cloying now, just wait til 6 weeks).
you seem pretty well-versed in DIY-ness; under "microgrows" in this forum in the thread "The Dank Desk" JointOps gives instructions how to make a mini charcoal filter (which i think would be perfect for your setup). a small inline or squirral cage fan and maybe a couple feet of ducting and you're set! if you don't do in/out air exchange yet (you'll *want to eventually), you can hang this in your room with the fan pulling the air through the filter (but not blowing on your plants) and it'll make a big difference.
not a huge fan of the not-quite-vertical wiring on the light socket; you don't want your wire bearing the stress of a kink, like that, but that's easily enough fixed. if you want to hang your light horizontally you might want to think about getting/making yourself a bracket for that.
about the all-girl seeds: there are just naturally less males. one male plant can pollinate something like 10 acres. all of my breeder friends can attest to this, which is why they can afford to offer the "majority female" guarantee, they're rarely called upon to actually honour it. but yes, you're lucky too. i have the kind of luck where if i plant a mix bag of 10 the 2 i really wanted are dudes.
if you don't live in a hard-water area you can probably just go with pH-ed tap water (unless you still it yourself? i just think it's an unnecessary cost unless there's issues with your tap). they're going to start drinking more and more.
one more thing: since you're already in flower and you don't want to introduce any unknown pathogens (like bugs or molds, which are harder to treat if you want to keep your tasty nugs tasty), i would 'quarantine' your new clones for a while before putting them in your room. preferably give them a preventative dipping of some sort, maybe plant them in some little cups or pots (you can always go bigger later), use your spare light to keep them somewhere separate and keep an eye on them for signs.

fun stuff, this cannabism, isn't it? all the best to you.

K

KushDad

Thanks for the info, Im definitely going to try the carbon filter. Ya the early shots the cord dangling was ghetto rigged, better setups now. I updated my photo gallery so take a look at the pretty flowers, progression and my TV stand. I had some macro shots done today that look unreal, they'll be up soon.

lazarus718

lazarus718

Love the closet grow brossif!!! That's how us small-timers do!

S

stifler

your set up is probs twice the size of mine but it looks great.

Papa

Papa

Supporter
welcome to the farm KushDad!

thanks for the intro!

Papa

S

space4206

damn man that looks very nice i hope mine come out looking like that and i am very new to this and i dont know how to start my own thread i wont to do one with me first micro grow if any body could help me please in only 2 weeks in to in but thay are looking good if you cvould help please and again nice grow man

Papa

Papa

Supporter
damn man that looks very nice i hope mine come out looking like that and i am very new to this and i dont know how to start my own thread i wont to do one with me first micro grow if any body could help me please in only 2 weeks in to in but thay are looking good if you cvould help please and again nice grow man

'looks like you've already figured it out. welcome.

Papa

K

KushDad

Thanks for the welcomes everyone.
To update: Im on my 8th week of flowering, about 10 days ago I cut off the tops of each plant, dried them in a box i made with holes and wires for 6 days and theyve been curing. They dont smell amazing, kinda ditchy or earthy. Smoke is nice, not harsh at all, lighter stone, most likely cause they were too early but I dig it.

K

KushDad

PS I grabbed a small loupe but i cant tell the colour in the trichomes for shat, might have to get a higher mag one on the net

Top Bottom