new guy trying to start auto seeds

• Thread starter prop
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

prop

i`m starting a grow this year from seeds i had from a plant a friend gave me last year last year. i germinated the seeds and have some seedlings going. i just bought some auto flower seeds and germinated the seeds and now have them in cups under grow lights.i`m in the burbs of ny and it`s getting warm now. but i don`t know if i have enough time for the autos to mature before the fall comes.any suggestions?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

i`m starting a grow this year from seeds i had from a plant a friend gave me last year last year. i germinated the seeds and have some seedlings going. i just bought some auto flower seeds and germinated the seeds and now have them in cups under grow lights.i`m in the burbs of ny and it`s getting warm now. but i don`t know if i have enough time for the autos to mature before the fall comes.any suggestions?
What is the breeder's estimate for the number of days from germination to harvest?

I'm in mid-Michigan. I started 12 autoflower plants indoors on April 1st and moved them out to my greenhouse the first week of May. Those will be finishing the end of June/early July.

I'll be starting 12 more autoflower plants indoors this week. I will move them out to the greenhouse in June and those will finish by the end of September. Now some autos do take longer than others ... but most could still be started this week and finish before a Michigan fall begins to play havoc with the plants. Just pay attention to the number of days the breeder says it will take to finish and then plan on a couple of weeks longer to cover your bases.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Mmmmm....Autos... ;)

You've got plenty of time, the whole purpose of Autos is that they finish early. More importantly they're finicky and don't tend to like transplanting. Do what you have to do but be very careful/gentle with the roots.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Mmmmm....Autos... ;)

You've got plenty of time, the whole purpose of Autos is that they finish early. More importantly they're finicky and don't tend to like transplanting. Do what you have to do but be very careful/gentle with the roots.
Yes, they can be finicky. I use Root Riot plugs buried in their final pot (no transplanting). The soil is pre-wet (not soaked) prior to starting the seeds. If you use this method, be aware that it could be up to a few weeks before your pots have dried out enough to water again. Avoid the urge to water too soon. Let the pot dry out and become light before watering again. A moisture meter is recommended to help determine when to water again.

I've had good luck this way so far.

P

prop

how about the light cycle? pure white light now and full spectrum after they sprout? how many hours on and off? thanks for the advice.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Yes, they can be finicky. I use Root Riot plugs buried in their final pot (no transplanting). The soil is pre-wet (not soaked) prior to starting the seeds. If you use this method, be aware that it could be up to a few weeks before your pots have dried out enough to water again. Avoid the urge to water too soon. Let the pot dry out and become light before watering again. A moisture meter is recommended to help determine when to water again.

I've had good luck this way so far.
I've devised a complex method of dealing with Autos.......hold on, I wrote it down.....

Do not grow Autos. ;)

I might try one or two outdoors at some point, but mixing a couple in with my indoor grow was really a waste of time/space......for me, it just doesn’t fit with what I'm doing. But given the northern zone we're in, I'll give them a shot outdoors, plant them directly into the ground......that's what they're probably best for.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

how about the light cycle? pure white light now and full spectrum after they sprout? how many hours on and off? thanks for the advice.
I had them in my 5 x 5 tent with my garden starts. Everything was under a 630w Nanolight LED bar light. I started out at 20% intensity and never got above 50%. If I weren't starting so many plants (over 30 with the tomatoes and peppers in there) I would have been fine using a couple of cold white LED shop lights I have in my seedling/clone area. Both would work although I probably would have had a bit stouter plants under the 6000k color temp the shop light has.

I ran mine 18-6. Others run 20-4. Some people even run 24 hrs light but I think the plants need at least a bit of a break in there. I also have lights in my greenhouse and I've kept them on the same light schedule outside as they were inside ... but I did that to keep the light hours consistent. I probably don't have to use supplemental lighting. I'm hoping more light = slightly larger yield.

I've grown hundreds of photo period plants. These are my first autos ever. I wanted something easy this summer and so far they have been exactly that.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I've devised a complex method of dealing with Autos.......hold on, I wrote it down.....

Do not grow Autos. ;)

I might try one or two outdoors at some point, but mixing a couple in with my indoor grow was really a waste of time/space......for me, it just doesn’t fit with what I'm doing. But given the northern zone we're in, I'll give them a shot outdoors, plant them directly into the ground......that's what they're probably best for.
I won't grow them indoors. These are greenhouse only plants for the northern farmer.

C

canadiangrower23

When growing auto's you should germinate seeds then place seeds in 1 pot for the entire grow cycle transplanting, will stress her and could cause her to start flowering to soon or turn hermy on you , Also don't top her that will also stress it's very hard to clone auto's also it can be done but it's hard and it's really stressful on plant , Because auto's have a fast growing cycle you can't grow it like a non-auto strain it's to hard for her to come back if you stress her and end up with small yield ,Your auto's should be done within 3 months I f it gets to warm give the lots of air circulation with fans try to keep them under 85 if you can ,I have the same problem as I grow in my tent in my garage using a 1000watt MH / HPS , ,I have gone and bought ice on really hot day's mixed with a little water in 5 gal bucket and place in front of fans which helps a bit , good luck , happy growing ,

Last edited:
AtomicRoostr

AtomicRoostr

I won't grow them indoors. These are greenhouse only plants for the northern farmer.
Why not indoors? This is really what they are intended for no? Or for someone who doesn't want to deal with light schedules If you get them outside June they should easily be done by the end of august early September.

Top Bottom