New Guy

• Thread starter 71Choptop
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

71Choptop

Buckets fail when compared to cloth pots, roots like air, buckets take forever to dry out.
Buckets fail when compared to cloth pots, roots like air, buckets take forever to dry out.

Have had luck w/buckets when I was hand watering, boss decided to build water system when we expanded room, didn't work to well, after they got big we lost some control over watering and things got kind of ugly. CoCo and new water system is in our future.

sixstring

sixstring

Hi, new member, grow w/ son, he's the brains, I'm the grunt that want's to get a bit smarter. Been doing it for a while, dirt/buckets, want to go to raised tubs and CoCo in a run or two. Hope to learn and help.
welcome to the farm.theres lots of great journals here using coco and beds.try searching @midwestdensies or even @JACKMAYOFFER and read some of those posts/threads.
really? mine dry out every day lol

CannaTech

CannaTech

Welcome to the farm ChopTop, Lots of good people here for the learning type. :D:eyepiece::smoking:

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

5 gallon buckets and 5 gallon pots are two different things
Splitting hairs but i guess technically your right,I doubt the dirt knows the difference between 5 gallons of soil in a plastic pot vs. 5 gallons in a plastic bucket though.I have used both over the years but i dont drill holes when using buckets,i notch them just like a pot with a dremel tool,1/2 in the bottom and 1/2 up the side like a plant pot.Roots need air and when you drill holes in the bottom of a bucket and set it upright with weight in it you effectively seal all the holes on the bottom so what good is that?I think your just doing it wrong.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

I have used both 5 gallon pots and buckets, the pots dry out much quicker. I used a 5 gallon bucket with a few inches of perlite on the bottom, ffof soil, and a bunch of holes from the biggest drill bit I could find and it took over a week every time for it to dry out enough to water again. That is just my experience, maybe the sugar black rose that I grew in it was just a light drinker?
I think the pots are designed to dry out faster with their shape.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Drying has a lot to do with soil composition as well. Regardless the container, if you have a highly absorbent soil, it's going to take longer to dry than if you have a soil like coco that can dry out within a few hours with a solid root system.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
He left? We suck at greeting people. It's Logic's fault too because he used a happy face and was nice to him. LOL! WTF?

Top Bottom