New House Basement Growroom

• Thread starter sinth
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sinth

Greetings!

I recently purchased a house (yay, no more stupid apartment living) and have a huge basement, unfinished and ready for my hobby!

Ok, huge might be hyperbole, as there is around 600 sq feet available.

Since the water heater, furnace, and the washer and dryer were part of the basement, but not part of my grow plans, i built a wall to separate about 2/3rds of the basement area: the smaller for the common basement amenities.

I haven't started any grow yet, save for the tiny clone in the middle (mango clone from dispensary destined for motherhood - thread coming soon!), so I've only arranged one area that will be for both vegging and flowering for this initial grow. I will probably set up a mother area under the stairs.

Now, to the equipment:

You'll see a single HID, its a 1000w with a plain jane aluminum reflector. Sucking air away is a 125cfm exhaust fan that does its job keeping the room cool.

Also hanging from the ceiling are various compact fluorescent ghetto fixtures, this will offer supplement light to the screen.

The screen is a PVC framed flat scrog style screen, about 4'10" square screen area.

Underneath will sit 6 (or so) DWC bubble buckets, perhaps with a recycling reservoir - changing the water without being able to move the buckets would prove challenging.

I plan on hanging black/white lightproof plastic around the grow area, to hopefully throw some lost light back at the screen.

I should probably get more airflow over that screen as well.

I look forward to reading your comments and hearing your suggestions. I can't wait to start a grow using this setup!

Growroom layout
Growroom
S

Skunkenstein

Sweet..Before you do anything..Build one more wall, and add 1 more room! Make the flowering room the Largest room..veg room could be half the size..You will naturally 'Fall' into Perpetual cuz it just makes sense! Nice start..

R

Rolln J

howdy - welcome to the farm and grats on buying your home!

good start - I see a few issues - well mainly odor control/ventiation. how big is your flower space? Ideally your gonna want to put a carbon filter on your exhaust for smell and to be efficient at keeping the odor at bay your filter fan combo needs to replace the air in the room once every 3 minutes.

so if the flower area is 10 x 10 x 8 - thats 800 cubic feet of air you need to replace every 3 minues or a fan rating of 266 minimum. little bit of over kill is better...

good luck and keep us posted.

pork

pork

you should throw 4k up in the space....get a 8" 675cfm Max-Can fan to cool it all, and run a bunch of plants!

20north

metabolism

turn off all the cfls cause they arnt even going to direct all the light down so your wasting electricity and seal the room... and then make another wall and split it in half once you have funds to make a veg room ... i think it is ideal to not use 1000w lamps tilll you start flowering i would use a 400w because the plants metabolism IS TOTALY DIFFERENT UNDER A 1000W VERUS a 400w MH.. you cant make someone swim the english channel before the person learns how to swim 25yards ......:damnhippie:

ps listen to rolln J :smiley_joint:

D

DazedNconfussed

good start - I see a few issues - well mainly odor control/ventiation. how big is your flower space? Ideally your gonna want to put a carbon filter on your exhaust for smell and to be efficient at keeping the odor at bay your filter fan combo needs to replace the air in the room once every 3 minutes.

so if the flower area is 10 x 10 x 8 - thats 800 cubic feet of air you need to replace every 3 minues or a fan rating of 266 minimum. little bit of over kill is better...

Great info Rollin J, I was wondering how to figure out what size fan I would need for my grow room....

Sinth, looks like you have a great room to start a grow with plenty of room get bigger if you want. I am also setting up a grow room in my basement with a single 1000w hps, my biggest problem is combating the cold while the light is off.

S

sinth

good to know! However, when i set up the poly plastic to make walls for the flower area, it will end up being about 5' x 5' x 6' - 150 feet cubed, i think i may be ok in this regard

as for odor, there is a stack going up in the corner of the room that might just go up to the attic - i wonder if i can vent through that, and i wonder what i'd need in order to do so

S

sinth

you should throw 4k up in the space....get a 8" 675cfm Max-Can fan to cool it all, and run a bunch of plants!

that sounds expensive :)

though i have been contemplating running a 240v 40a down to the grow room for a remote breaker panel....

Latest posts

Top Bottom