*NEW INFESTATION* PLZ HELP ME DIAGNOSE

• Thread starter Deebs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Unhinged

Unhinged

That's not spider mites, it's thrips. Thrips are teeny tiny little things shaped like an elongated grain of rice. They lay right up against the veins on the undersides of the leaves, to 'hide'. They move very quickly, and are hard to actually spot. Spider mites are slow-moving, and much easier to spot. If you see damage like you have and no mites- you don't have mites.

I use abamectin, also called Avid. I imagine medical growers might cringe at that? I use it at twice the recommended strength for thrips. They can be eliminated in one application with this product. I've practically bathed in it over the years with no ill effects. It's toxic to dogs. It can be ordered online. It also works better for spider mites than anything I've ever tried. It works so well, resistance is not an issue. One bottle last for years if you don't keep bringing in new pests ;)

Toxic to bugs and dogs but not humans?? Sign me up... 🙄

P

PurSaveer

Unhinged, I admit I'm old school and not fully informed on all the new ways of growing. Avid is made from a fermented fungus, as I understand it. It's given internally to humans for some conditions. I've personally used it and had excellent results. The things I tried that were less toxic were less than effective. Also, I think an important point is to catch and treat problems in the vegetative stage, as experience allows. That way, residue is not an issue later when you grow from cuttings.

cottageman

cottageman

Some good knockdown sprays I’ve used that worked really well was plant therapy and purecrop1. Plant therapy kills eggs up to adults on contact, purecrop1 kills adults and anything feeding on the plant for up to 10 days it claims, but it also doesn’t kill eggs. That plus some beneficial bugs and I’m confident I’ll have a complete kill. I did a defoliation after spraying twice and it was a part of dead mites where the infected areas were

Deebs

Deebs

Lol!😄 wow thank you all so much for the informational and comical back and forth. That was great! Unfortunately I was not able to read any of that until just now... Thank you all again So much!
On my way home from work, I stopped at Lowes, & got 3 bottles of Organic Neem. I also stopped at CVS, & picked up a little bottle of pure essential peppermint oil. After a brief decompression/safety meeting once I finally got home, I went downstairs and started by drenching the entire platform with the peppermint oil. (Which coincidentally is so strong that I can smell it upstairs in my house. Which is good because I have a big smell problem!) Anyhoo- next I went to town with the Neem spray. Starting from the bottom & underside up, I sprayed until runoff. Again starting from the bottom but top side of leaf, I sprayed until runoff. I used one full bottle for all 8 plants. Thoroughly drenched including the stock & top of the soil. I also sprayed that stuff all over the walls and floor... Dunno if it's going to work yet. Like y'all said Neem, might just piss the mites off. As soon as the top of the soil dries, I am going to lay down a nice thick layer of Diatomaceous Earth. I'm going to stay diligent about misting and spraying them every few days. Hopping I will see good results. Can not wait to read yalls advice on my treatment plan tbh!
So little bit about my "status", if you will- this is my very first go around, (HA 😀I should have said "grow" around). I orderd 6 feminized Royal Moby, seeds & 3 Critical, seeds from RoyalQueenSeeds.com. All but 1 of the Royal Moby seeds sprouted. All 3 Critical, seeds sprouted. I jumped the gun on the whole process to begin with. Long story short, I did not get my light until they were a couple months old 😕. Needles to say they were some tall leggy bitches by the time I got them under the correct light, & timing.( I was relying on the sunshine on the back porch). After their 1st topping, they started bushing out and got much bigger than I had planned on. (I guess the first run is all trial & error) Also they started wreaking sooo bad, and became too big for my closet. So I repotted them in 5 gal Home Depot, buckets with pea gravel in the bottom. Moved them down into the nice cold dark basement. All was going swimmingly until I noticed those lil fuckers on the leaves yesterday😡...
So, yeah.. I think that brings me up to speed on things. I am always looking for knowledge, & advice! Im a total fircking newb! I do plan on keeping 2 mother plants one of each variety. So in the future, I'm going lots of help with that whole process... Below are some pics. Thanks guys!😎👍🌱
20200805 190807 Burst01
20200805 191011
20200805 191050
20200805 191112
20200805 191124
20200805 191310
20200805 191250
20200805 191321

20200805 183243
20200805 183419
20200805 183404
Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Go big, or go home, eh? 😁😆

I'm subscribing to this one, gotta see how it comes out. 🍿🍿🍿

I hope your plan works. 😎

Last edited:
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Honestly, for two spots, Avid is tough to beat lol. Rosemary oil is shown to really knock them back as well. So does sulphur, but never use sulphur within a few weeks of an oil application as someone mentioned before.

Latest posts

Top Bottom