New leaf nodes growing sideways ,WHY?

• Thread starter Sickvicc
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Sickvicc

So for the last couple months ive been growing a few different strains in a 8x10 area with some DE phantom lights at 750w but since the beginning these clones have been growing funny some more then others,The new leaves coming out of the nodes are growing out sideways & slowing growth down .So finally after a few months i took some clones , switch the the dirt to Sunshine4 a peatmoss/perlite mix then sure enough they started doing the same thing again . Just wondering if anyone might have gone thru the same thing or know what's going on?Thanks

New leaf nodes growing sideways why
New leaf nodes growing sideways why 2
New leaf nodes growing sideways why 3
New leaf nodes growing sideways why 4
New leaf nodes growing sideways why 5
New leaf nodes growing sideways why 6
New leaf nodes growing sideways why 7
New leaf nodes growing sideways why 8
Skidmarx

Skidmarx

Hi Vicc,
Can you confirm your
lighting shedual
RH
Ph and frequency of water ( RO Tap?) (Checked ph of run off?)
Double check for light leak ( timers ok?)
Just Checking all the basics.

Also consider reposting this in "cannabis innfirmmary"
Good luck

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
What is your photoperiod? I didn't see any pistils in it's growth. They almost look like they are stuck between flowering and vegging. Could they be re-vegging? I can't say that I've seen sustained growth like that. As I mentioned, it looks a little like it is confused. It also looks a little light on the light intensity as the plants look a little leggy, unless that is part of the issue. The leaves look sort of light in color as well, unless it is the lighting that is causing the colors in the picture.

S

Sickvicc

Alright so right now im vegging i got the light on 24hrs ,Turned the watts down to 600w
Tap water
PH the water at 5.9
Changed the nutrients i was running thinking maybe bad nutrients but no after all that they still seem to be doing this.
Can it possibly be they dont like peat moss/perlite?might they need some co2?
At night it gets a little cold but this has been happening since summer so i dont think its the temperature changing at night

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
There was recently a thread about a genetic issue regarding clones that are taken from older mothers. It is a genetic expression that only occurs in clones that are from a fairly old mother. I can't remember the exact name, I think it called Epigenetic issues and might be more specific to tropical Sativa strains. It is an interesting phenom... do a search for it... I think it was last week. This sounds almost exactly like what you are seeing. Plants started from seed don't have this issue, it only happens in older clones.

Shedhead

Shedhead

So for the last couple months ive been growing a few different strains in a 8x10 area with some DE phantom lights at 750w but since the beginning these clones have been growing funny some more then others,The new leaves coming out of the nodes are growing out sideways & slowing growth down .So finally after a few months i took some clones , switch the the dirt to Sunshine4 a peatmoss/perlite mix then sure enough they started doing the same thing again . Just wondering if anyone might have gone thru the same thing or know what's going on?Thanks
I think it's a light issue, ie not enough of it for the size of the room/plant count. And could be a cold temp in the root zone seeing as there all on a concrete floor and you said yourself temps wasn't ideal.
Just my opinion though, keep it green Shedhead out!

Last edited:
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I think it's a light issue, ie not enough of it for the size of the room/plant count. And could be a cold temp in the root zone seeing as there all on a concrete floor and you said yourself temps wasn't ideal.
Just my opinion though, keep it green Shedhead out!
I agree that they look a lot like they could use more light, but figured that if he was having issues with too much light before he turned it down, then light wasn't the problem. I'm not familiar with those lights so I can't really comment. Cold floors make a huge difference as well, especially if you are in the northern climes where the ground tends to stay colder. I just re-read your initial post, and I have to concur that you need a lot more light. I use 2000w Mh/HPS in tandem in a room the same size and have great results and very bushy plants. I apologize for my earlier thoughts of the genetic disorder... I had it on my mind and with cloning being more common, the issues will start to pop up more.

Judaz

Judaz

Those are straight duds. Your buds are gonna be Larfy and smell like hay. gonna be garbage I personally would trash it. Study the thread so you can avoid them next time. Most likely your mother is a dud. Since all of them look the same. Best advice on this thread is last 5 pages . You have the hop latent viroid. Been through it, it’s terrible disease

Last edited:
S

Sickvicc

Hi Vicc,
Can you confirm your
lighting shedual
RH
Ph and frequency of water ( RO Tap?) (Checked ph of run off?)
Double check for light leak ( timers ok?)
Just Checking all the basics.

Also consider reposting this in "cannabis innfirmmary"
Good luck
Nice bro so i checked the ph on the run off water using water with ph level of 6.3 & what do you know it came out to between 5.4 & 5.3 on the plants that were doin it ,well on the 2 that i checked
but yeah i think that might be a major issue .
I didnt know why itd be so low so i looked into the peatmoss/perlite mix i was using cause i already been had my doubts about it and apparently it has some stuff that drops the ph and i was already running my ph kinda low at 5.9 -5.8 .
So my question now is what do i do to raise the ph in the peatmoss/perlite mix & should i just let the waters original ph be at 7.1 after mixing nutrients ??

Judaz

Judaz

Nice bro so i checked the ph on the run off water using water with ph level of 6.3 & what do you know it came out to between 5.4 & 5.3 on the plants that were doin it ,well on the 2 that i checked
but yeah i think that might be a major issue .
I didnt know why itd be so low so i looked into the peatmoss/perlite mix i was using cause i already been had my doubts about it and apparently it has some stuff that drops the ph and i was already running my ph kinda low at 5.9 -5.8 .
So my question now is what do i do to raise the ph in the peatmoss/perlite mix & should i just let the waters original ph be at 7.1 after mixing nutrients ??

Wow ph 5.4-5.3 same thing that happened to me on the dud plants. If things were fine before in this room and all of a sudden they changed and plants look retarded. It’s not the room but the plants. You guys keep laughing take it for what it is, especially when I’m telling you I’ve had the same issues and ph dropping on these specific plants. Your npk ratios on the formula won’t work anymore. You have to adjust for those plants to get best out of them.

What’s the strain? And where did you get the clones from. That right there should say a lot. You changed the medium and problem persists. Doubt it’s lack of lighting. That won’t make your branching pattern go sideways. You may get stretch but not sideway growth

Skidmarx

Skidmarx

SV I wrote a reply but forgot the main thing...its only happening to few of the plants. So please ignore it
I only guessed pH as new growth = immobile elements and they defo dont like pH in low 5's
You have few of them you j could just try diffent ph's on different plants & see which respond best. Id just foliar spray the feed until they dry out.
Best of luck with em

Keepitgrowing247

Keepitgrowing247

Curious if you ever figured out what this was or if it's still happening ?

Homesteader

Homesteader

This is pretty old but I don't see any problems with the plant

Keepitgrowing247

Keepitgrowing247

My buddies garden has been doing this and his clones came from me. And mine are not.. Which is why I asked if he ever figured it out.. pretty much every single suggestion here doesn't add up because they garden in 2 completely different ways. (Not saying that the suggestions were bad just saying alot can be ruled out) None of the variables match except the symptoms. So we can rule out temp, lights, humidity, nutrients etc.. OP is nutes and buddies is living soil.. We're leaning heavily towards a viral infection from either fungus gnats or whiteflies possibly even leafhoppers if they went undetected as they move on quick and it only takes one bite to transfer a pathogen or virus.. because in his case thats the only major difference from mine and his.. He had a major gnat outbreak and I didn't. Either way just thought I'd chime back in and say there is 100% something wrong with those plants. Something is causing the axillary shoots to grow deformed and curled like that and when we get the results back from DHN I'll post them up! ✌
Also a side note - the flower is still coming out amazing and extremely frosty so we don't think it's "dudding" or Hops Latent Viroid but there is definitely slowed growth until they "grow out of it" and reduced yield based off previous runs.

Keepitgrowing247

Keepitgrowing247

Alright guys got the results back.. I know this is an old thread but again it's the only one I've found that shows his exact same symptoms so I'm going to continue to post in here in case someone else finds it useful and hopefully we eventually figure this out.

The mystery continues...
We tested the most "symptomatic" plants and even sent in samples of the entire branch that has the nodes curling attached so they can test that as well and so far nothing.. obviously there is a million different viruses and this only tested for 3 so we're going to keep digging.. The viroid panel from DHN included Hops Latent Viroid (HpLVd) , Lettuce Chlorosis Virus (LCV) , and Beet Curly Top Virus (BCTV) which ALL have had confirmed cases on either hemp or cannabis in our state so it was definitely worth a shot.

Screenshot 20210817 132137 Drive
B

BeneficialBear

Alright guys got the results back.. I know this is an old thread but again it's the only one I've found that shows his exact same symptoms so I'm going to continue to post in here in case someone else finds it useful and hopefully we eventually figure this out.

The mystery continues...
We tested the most "symptomatic" plants and even sent in samples of the entire branch that has the nodes curling attached so they can test that as well and so far nothing.. obviously there is a million different viruses and this only tested for 3 so we're going to keep digging.. The viroid panel from DHN included Hops Latent Viroid (HpLVd) , Lettuce Chlorosis Virus (LCV) , and Beet Curly Top Virus (BCTV) which ALL have had confirmed cases on either hemp or cannabis in our state so it was definitely worth a shot. I really appreciate your study's and test results to back it up

The mystery continues...
We tested the most "symptomatic" plants and even sent in samples of the entire branch that has the nodes curling attached so they can test that as well and so far nothing.. obviously there is a million different viruses and this only tested for 3 so we're going to keep digging.. The viroid panel from DHN included Hops Latent Viroid (HpLVd) , Lettuce Chlorosis Virus (LCV) , and Beet Curly Top Virus (BCTV) which ALL have had confirmed cases on either hemp or cannabis in our state so it was definitely worth a shot.
GREAT work! Awesome to find this. I am dealing with this same issue the past 6 months in living soil across multiple strains. I will post pictures soon. Have you learned anymore about what this may be??? thanks for your help and work!

B

BeneficialBear

The mystery continues...
975E85F5 5546 4B46 8E7B D52212BE3371

GREAT work! Awesome to find this. I am dealing with this same issue the past 6 months in living soil across multiple strains. I will post pictures soon. Have you learned anymore about what this may be??? thanks for your help and work!

The mystery continues...
975E85F5 5546 4B46 8E7B D52212BE3371
8B5F3D48 3C69 417F 81D5 9A1DB3EA8636
4A8C2453 87B4 4099 9BA0 24C3A30866F9
D4FB51E3 3581 429F 9356 037AF083D833
Like in the last picture, sometime the tops seem to turn down like they are trying to shade themselves almost but I have tried every distance and adjusted dimmer. This is also happening on 2 other strains I have.

E

Elmcult

Has anyone figure this issue out yet? I know this thread is old but there isn’t much info anywhere else of people having this issue.

E

Exotiks916

Having the same issue and its obviously a huge problem. Does anyone have any ideas

Top Bottom