New LEDs?

• Thread starter greyfx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

greyfx

I was just doing some searching for a couple of things and came across these new leds at htg supply. Anyone know of any test done with them or anything? They say they cover more specs but I don't always believe what I read either.

F

FastForward

Personally I have a hard time believing any marketing blurb that in the same picture says something like "produces only the light that plants need to grow" and then goes on to talk about red, blue and full spectrum LEDs! And for $2.2k?? Hmmm...

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
Han anyone ever heard of LED lights causing more males from seed ? I ran my last seedlings under the LEDs for the first 3 to 4 weeks and have never had so many males

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
I'm not anywhere close to comfortable enough with LED's to risk the investment. But to be honest, i would think the first LED's to hit the market that actually WORK will be expensive. Just because they (hopefully) will use purpose built LED's, with the spectrums specifically tailored for plant growth. Keep in mind we all use HID's 'cuz they just happen to work. I for one don't want the industry to rush, i'd rather wait and pay more for something that truly one-ups HID lighting.

D

doggystyled73

i just noticed this also from HTG.. but 2.2k for some new unproven lights? ehhh.. i don't think so

saldiado

saldiado

I think the added red spectrum is what is causing more males for ya. i know some folks using leds, and they are very happy with them, htg also has ones that are foot by foot for only 130 or something, and they are supposedly equal or better to a 600 watt and only use 50 watts.

D

doggystyled73

I think the added red spectrum is what is causing more males for ya. i know some folks using leds, and they are very happy with them, htg also has ones that are foot by foot for only 130 or something, and they are supposedly equal or better to a 600 watt and only use 50 watts.

supposedly* key word, and why would added red produce more males??? I'm sorry but could you please explain yourself?

saldiado

saldiado

I saw that in the growers bible. In the section on how to increase female to male ratio from seed, and one of the points was that more blue spectrum increases number of females, and more red spectrum increases the number of males. My guess would be this is because the red spectrum stresses them into thinking its like the short days of fall, therefore causing more to hermaphrodite or turn male to save the children, kind of like if you try and flower them too early it increases chance of male, or hermaphrodite, but thats a guess haha if anyone else could chip in on this one that would be great. As far as the leds go. i dont know about you but the idea of using 1/10th the electricity, with virtually no heat, and similar results, sounds good. They also last like 10 times as long. Im thinking another few years and the cost of them should go down, and hopefully they will be the new thing, because eventually it will save everyone alot of money( electricity, changing bulbs, inline fans.) and hopefully attract alot less attention as well, sal

saldiado

saldiado

I saw that in the growers bible. In the section on how to increase female to male ratio from seed, and one of the points was that more blue spectrum increases number of females, and more red spectrum increases the number of males. My guess would be this is because the red spectrum stresses them into thinking its like the short days of fall, therefore causing more to hermaphrodite or turn male to save the children, kind of like if you try and flower them too early it increases chance of male, or hermaphrodite, but thats a guess haha if anyone else could chip in on this one that would be great. As far as the leds go. i dont know about you but the idea of using 1/10th the electricity, with virtually no heat, and similar results, sounds good. They also last like 10 times as long. Im thinking another few years and the cost of them should go down, and hopefully they will be the new thing, because eventually it will save everyone alot of money( electricity, changing bulbs, inline fans.)

Top Bottom