New Legal Question

• Thread starter squiggly
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
squiggly

squiggly

I am wondering if anyone extracting industrially has considered using chromatography to separate out the components of the oil. My previous legal question involved whether or not it is legal to run a reaction on the oil to precipitate out the desired products. After some research it turns out this in fact is very illegal in all 50 states.

Chromatography, however, is very different and represents not only a very effective way of obtaining pure products--but also a cheap and reliable way. This is a bit more sciency, and the process would require a fair amount of tweaking to get right--but ultimately this is a non-reactive pathway for separating mixtures. The principles involved are the same which allow you to extract the material in the first place so i can't imagine it not being legal. But I'm wondering still as I can't fathom that I've been the first person to think of this

This process would allow for 99% purity and would also give access to pure canabidiol extracts (the chemical which is rumored to have anti-cancer properties in mj). It is also the industry standard for separating mixtures. This exactly how phizer or abbott labs would do it.

If this is legal I'd strongly recommend you guys try it. I'm, as always, available for questions if anyone is more interested.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Nothin new here.....marijauna/cannabis in any form is and has been illegal in all 50 United States...period...so obviously any extract or concentrate of the same is goin to be illegal....doesn't matter how effectient the process

Tex

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
In Colorado concentrates aren't treated any different than the flower, there are a few specific municipalities that make a destinction like Boulder but for the most part ISO oil, CO2 oil, bho oil, bubble hash, dry sieve hash and scissor hash are treated as just another cannabis derivative that is available.

I've made a ton of ISO oil over the last few years and still knock out quite a bit its not treated any different at a retail level as far as availability or legality...

It is usually marketed as an edible or as an additive to edibles when its sold thru the despensaries....I am sure a lawyer told them there is a difference..

Not sure how its treated in other states

Tex

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

For starters extracts of any kind fall under an MIP license, that would be separate from the OPC license needed to grow and sell flowers.

Having an MIP gives you the option of getting on the approved vendor list to sell to any dispensary in CO.

It is illegal to distribute any extract w/o an MIP.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I am wondering if anyone extracting industrially has considered using chromatography to separate out the components of the oil. My previous legal question involved whether or not it is legal to run a reaction on the oil to precipitate out the desired products. After some research it turns out this in fact is very illegal in all 50 states.

Chromatography, however, is very different and represents not only a very effective way of obtaining pure products--but also a cheap and reliable way. This is a bit more sciency, and the process would require a fair amount of tweaking to get right--but ultimately this is a non-reactive pathway for separating mixtures. The principles involved are the same which allow you to extract the material in the first place so i can't imagine it not being legal. But I'm wondering still as I can't fathom that I've been the first person to think of this

This process would allow for 99% purity and would also give access to pure canabidiol extracts (the chemical which is rumored to have anti-cancer properties in mj). It is also the industry standard for separating mixtures. This exactly how phizer or abbott labs would do it.

If this is legal I'd strongly recommend you guys try it. I'm, as always, available for questions if anyone is more interested.

Yes, our biochemistry student has aquired all of the equipment, but a proper light source, which he believes he has found, and software, which he may have to write.

The cannabinoids and other turpenes exit a packed column at different rates and are identified by their light signature and diverted to separate containers. See attached picture of diverting device in background of attached picture of vacuum distillation experiment.

I don't see why that would be any more illegal in Oregon, than extracting the oil from the raw plant material in the first place, as long as we don't sell the oil or give it to someone who is not an OMMP patient.

It is a federal crime in all the states, as has been noted.

Neither of our attorneys see it as an issue either, so our student continues to work forge ahead as fast as he can going to school full time and dealing with his new baby having a 7mm hole in his heart.

We know how to convert CBD to THC, but not the other way around, and we would like to find a way to extract CBDs in volume.

Shakedown
Top Bottom