New member/first time grower

• Thread starter johnnykoepp1988
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman

What’s up everyone! Thanks for allowing me to be apart of this community. I love smoking weed and I’m trying to get started with growing my own since buying bud is getting to be too expensive for me.
There is a learning curve. Do not be afraid to ask questions. Beginners should not do hydro or organic but it's your party. Good luck.
  • Be careful not to over-water.
  • Follow instructions exactly for nutrients and keep a log. Print out a calendar sheet or hang a calendar and mark things down.
  • Get a ph meter for both the soil and liquid
  • Blast your room and intake hose with a "Raid" type pyrethrin insecticide before starting.
  • Fungus is a huge problem for many. I got sloppy about removing dead leaves and have some Septoria in my grow right now. It's very minor, but I'm a perfectionist and I don't want to see any infected leaves. And now I'm plucking some every few days. Lucky for me, flowering is over pretty soon. Always remove diseased leaves immediately. Fungus diseases cannot be defeated, only controlled once they appear. The best way is to keep hitting them with Neem Oil until they flower. There are other methods and I suggest stocking some hydrogen peroxide as a precaution for worst-case scenarios. Spider mites can't lay their eggs on marijuana plants sprayed with Neem.
  • Use Cal-Mag Plus. Follow the directions. I've seen many, many growers on various web sites show a picture of a plant clearly devastated by a nutrient deficiency. Once that occurs, it's hard or impossible to roll it back. And then fungus moves in. If you way under-feed them this will happen, also. Nutrient deficiency kills yields.
  • 3 1/2 gallon pots are OK. 5 gal. pots are recommended. 7 gal. pots are better. The smaller of these just gets too dry too quick for me. I use 5 gal. nursery pots. Grow bags are very popular. With grow bags I can't use wire properly for LST techniques. I need that hard plastic to attach wire.
  • Learn HST and LST techniques. Using both together will DRAMATICALLY increase your yield. You can pin down branches and bend them around to train them. Some growers can get 3 or 4 ounces of bud from one indoor plant using these techniques. I had one yield nearly 3 on a recent grow. Not bad for a closet plant.
  • HID lighting is easy and cheap. You can probably get a 400 lamp that will take both HPS and Halide bulbs with a 4-setting electronic ballast for around $140. LED's are wonderful and use a lot less juice but don't have the deep vertical penetration of HID lights. NO LED will ever match the canopy penetrating power of a 1000HPS. What's great about the multiple setting is it helps you get your room's temperature stabilized as you trouble-shoot your ventilation. Temperature takes a lot of tinkering , both intake and outtake ventilation must be done for a serious room.
  • People can get results with CFL jerry-rigged set-ups. I've done it. But you won't get the yield like you would from HPS. I think LED's are great for some applications. But I'll never switch. And guess what? 68% of indoor growers of everything in the U.S. say they won't switch, either. Because they know what brings weight! Only 25% of professional growers use LED and many of those are microgreen growers. Because those nice T8's are perfect for that.
  • Cabinet or micro-grows are nice, but what's the point of just growing a small amount of weed? I just grew 7 ounces of strong bud in a small closet. I'm spoiled now.

johnnykoepp1988

johnnykoepp1988

There is a learning curve. Do not be afraid to ask questions. Beginners should not do hydro or organic but it's your party. Good luck.
  • Be careful not to over-water.
  • Follow instructions exactly for nutrients and keep a log. Print out a calendar sheet or hang a calendar and mark things down.
  • Get a ph meter for both the soil and liquid
  • Blast your room and intake hose with a "Raid" type pyrethrin insecticide before starting.
  • Fungus is a huge problem for many. I got sloppy about removing dead leaves and have some Septoria in my grow right now. It's very minor, but I'm a perfectionist and I don't want to see any infected leaves. And now I'm plucking some every few days. Lucky for me, flowering is over pretty soon. Always remove diseased leaves immediately. Fungus diseases cannot be defeated, only controlled once they appear. The best way is to keep hitting them with Neem Oil until they flower. There are other methods and I suggest stocking some hydrogen peroxide as a precaution for worst-case scenarios. Spider mites can't lay their eggs on marijuana plants sprayed with Neem.
  • Use Cal-Mag Plus. Follow the directions. I've seen many, many growers on various web sites show a picture of a plant clearly devastated by a nutrient deficiency. Once that occurs, it's hard or impossible to roll it back. And then fungus moves in. If you way under-feed them this will happen, also. Nutrient deficiency kills yields.
  • 3 1/2 gallon pots are OK. 5 gal. pots are recommended. 7 gal. pots are better. The smaller of these just gets too dry too quick for me. I use 5 gal. nursery pots. Grow bags are very popular. With grow bags I can't use wire properly for LST techniques. I need that hard plastic to attach wire.
  • Learn HST and LST techniques. Using both together will DRAMATICALLY increase your yield. You can pin down branches and bend them around to train them. Some growers can get 3 or 4 ounces of bud from one indoor plant using these techniques. I had one yield nearly 3 on a recent grow. Not bad for a closet plant.
  • HID lighting is easy and cheap. You can probably get a 400 lamp that will take both HPS and Halide bulbs with a 4-setting electronic ballast for around $140. LED's are wonderful and use a lot less juice but don't have the deep vertical penetration of HID lights. NO LED will ever match the canopy penetrating power of a 1000HPS. What's great about the multiple setting is it helps you get your room's temperature stabilized as you trouble-shoot your ventilation. Temperature takes a lot of tinkering , both intake and outtake ventilation must be done for a serious room.
  • People can get results with CFL jerry-rigged set-ups. I've done it. But you won't get the yield like you would from HPS. I think LED's are great for some applications. But I'll never switch. And guess what? 68% of indoor growers of everything in the U.S. say they won't switch, either. Because they know what brings weight! Only 25% of professional growers use LED and many of those are microgreen growers. Because those nice T8's are perfect for that.
  • Cabinet or micro-grows are nice, but what's the point of just growing a small amount of weed? I just grew 7 ounces of strong bud in a small closet. I'm spoiled now.
These tips will help so much thanks bro!!

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Welcome to the party pal! Great community here with a gigantic amount of combined knowledge. Just remember you’re on a forum and most of the time the info is top notch but it doesn’t hurt to do your own research and verify the advice you’re given. Good luck man happy growing!

johnnykoepp1988

johnnykoepp1988

Keep it simple. Go organic. it's easier. and supposed to taste and smell better.
Im not too sure about whats what as far as organic goes but what I have now is some happy frog soil I plan on mixing with some natures living soil for autos and tossing some auto seeds in there

johnnykoepp1988

johnnykoepp1988

Welcome to the party pal! Great community here with a gigantic amount of combined knowledge. Just remember you’re on a forum and most of the time the info is top notch but it doesn’t hurt to do your own research and verify the advice you’re given. Good luck man happy growing!
thanks for the love bro ! Im taking in as much info as I can theres a ton of it here and chill people!

johnnykoepp1988

johnnykoepp1988

As long as someone’s guiding you , you should be good. I don’t know if it’s a good idea to mix soils.
Oh yeah for sure ! I have been watching lots of videos about how to do it my plan right now is to start my seeds off in peat moss cups with just the happy frog and then moving them into bigger containers with the mixed soil. As long as the proportions are to par it should be good, hopefully but just giving it a shot and seeing how it goes !

2Bad

2Bad

Oh yeah for sure ! I have been watching lots of videos about how to do it my plan right now is to start my seeds off in peat moss cups with just the happy frog and then moving them into bigger containers with the mixed soil. As long as the proportions are to par it should be good, hopefully but just giving it a shot and seeing how it goes !
Go jiffy pelletsinstead of the cups, the cups don’t degrade and they can cause root bound if they don’t . Make sure u take the paper off around the jiffy pellets right before u put the seeds in and It’ll be good 👍

Madbud

Madbud

Simplest way, germinate in 3/4 full solo cup, moisten soil, cover with a baggie or clear wrap. Clear cup inside a colored cup to check roots and watering. Prevents overwatering and you can add soil for support if she stretches. Welcome to thcf.
B371B1A9 714A 4984 A62F 98CFE80E8B24
edit: dont use perlite in the bottom😅

johnnykoepp1988

johnnykoepp1988

Simplest way, germinate in 3/4 full solo cup, moisten soil, cover with a baggie or clear wrap. Clear cup inside a colored cup to check roots and watering. Prevents overwatering and you can add soil for support if she stretches. Welcome to thcf.View attachment 1157911edit: dont use perlite in the bottom😅
thanks for the welcome and for the advice bro! I think i may try that for my next set of seeds I get going! right now I got a couple of auto seeds germinated and popped them into some peat cups bc i saw it online and wanted to try it out. Im keepin them outside when the sun is out and just going to water them carefully until they start sprouting and then move them into bigger 3 gallon pots. Im tryna grow them on my patio I just dont know exactly how much water to add so im alittle confused there. I dont wanna murk these lil guys

johnnykoepp1988

johnnykoepp1988

Go jiffy pelletsinstead of the cups, the cups don’t degrade and they can cause root bound if they don’t . Make sure u take the paper off around the jiffy pellets right before u put the seeds in and It’ll be good 👍
I copped the jiffy peat cups this time I didnt know about them pellets but im definitely gonna try them next time :) appreciate the advice please keep it coming lol I dont wanna wreck these mf seeds bro

Badcableman

Badcableman

Welcome to THCF, and wishing you good luck on your patio grow. Overwatering is a common mistake made by noobs (like myself). Take some time and read @Aqua Man 's threads on watering protocol and you'll be good in that respect.

Madbud

Madbud

thanks for the welcome and for the advice bro! I think i may try that for my next set of seeds I get going! right now I got a couple of auto seeds germinated and popped them into some peat cups bc i saw it online and wanted to try it out. Im keepin them outside when the sun is out and just going to water them carefully until they start sprouting and then move them into bigger 3 gallon pots. Im tryna grow them on my patio I just dont know exactly how much water to add so im alittle confused there. I dont wanna murk these lil guys
Those pots suck all the water, i’ve used them and jiffy pots. I would put it in a ziploc baggie to control the moisture til the seed sprouts.

Top Bottom