New Member Intro

• Thread starter BearWater
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Hello all. I’m writing this post today to introduce myself to the community. I was recently recommend this forum by a local in my area who has experience to say the least in many aspects of the farming culture. I myself am not entirely new to the scene ( couple outdoor runs), but am totally green to the ways of “indoor”.
over the last month I’ve been designing a room and acquiring equipment along with reaching out to folks with knowledge in the applicable subjects of this process. On this journey thus far I have crossed paths with the upper mentioned individual who has ”unofficially“ Offered to guide me through my journey. Needless to say that was really the motivating factor for me to want to continue on with the project as I understand there are many variables and things can and will change very quickly for the the not so better (Can’t afford a fail). with that said I do understand things can happen that are out of my control but that is like natural disasters and shit, not something that you see everyday and can fix it or make an attempt.
I am a very studious individual and very much appreciate the scientific aspect of growing. I love that it is chemistry and biology and anything else i missed haha. thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to learning from you all and I appreciate the information that has been placed on this forum by the current and past members. If there’s anything I missed or you have any questions for me feel free to hit me up : ) thanks again!

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Welcome!

I grow organically and use five-gallon fabric pots.
I’m leaning towards the fabric pots. What little I do know from experience is the air pots are a little more forgiving to over watering? ( the one I used was a huge outdoor set up). But I’ve only ever helped in indoor setups very minimal time and they all had the plastic style nursery containers.
Do you find yourself watering more often with the fabric pots and do you feel it gives you a little more “watering freedom” than plastic containers?

Edit: thank you for the welcome!

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
What little I do know from experience is the air pots are a little more forgiving to over watering?
More than plastic? Yes. More than fabric? IDK I haven't used air pots, so I can't say for sure. It's probably better to avoid overwatering. I'd guess air pots and fabric pots have a few things in common, though. There are other factors that affect watering, like soil porosity, humidity and the life stage of the plant.

Do you find yourself watering more often with the fabric pots and do you feel it gives you a little more “watering freedom” than plastic containers?
My frustration with plastic pots is how they retain water. I top-dress dry nutrients and sometimes have been unable to add them because the soil was too wet and was staying too wet while the plant starved.

Pot choice isn't only about watering. Gas exchange between the roots and the atmosphere is important. Also advantageous is air trimming the roots, meaning they won't grow close to the sides of the pot. I put my fabric pots on trivets (aka risers) that also allow air flow to the bottom of the pot.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
More than plastic? Yes. More than fabric? IDK I haven't used air pots, so I can't say for sure. It's probably better to avoid overwatering. I'd guess air pots and fabric pots have a few things in common, though. There are other factors that affect watering, like soil porosity, humidity and the life stage of the plant.

My frustration with plastic pots is how they retain water. I top-dress dry nutrients and sometimes have been unable to add them because the soil was too wet and was staying too wet while the plant starved.

Pot choice isn't only about watering. Gas exchange between the roots and the atmosphere is important. Also advantageous is air trimming the roots, meaning they won't grow close to the sides of the pot. I put my fabric pots on trivets (aka risers) that also allow air flow to the bottom of the pot.
Thank you for the information and riser pro tip.

Top Bottom