New (old skool) Breeder in SoCal - Hey, Everybody!!!

• Thread starter Bear
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bear

Hey folks!

My name is Shawn, otherwise known as Bear, and I just recently moved back to Southern California with my seed stock that I've been collecting and breeding for the past few years in diverse locations such as Spain, Great Britain, Pakistan, Vietnam, Thailand, and Hawaii.

I started growing 22 years years ago at age 16 - right about when I attended my first Grateful Dead show, they seem to go together - and, have been a professional guitar player on the psychedelic scene since then when a hand injury a few years ago forced me into what I hope is only a temporary retirement.

Let me go back a few years, I attended UC Santa Cruz in the 80's and became familiar with the work of a distinguished breeder by the name of Robert Connell Clarke who'd published his senior thesis as the book 'Marijuana Botany' and the fertile growing community in the Big Sur mountains whose produce went hand-in-hand with the descriptions of new cultivars in this seminal work. All this slowly came back to me as they were pumping me full of morphine at the hospital and with the help of my old friend, Cannabis, I was able to kick that habit and begin a program of holistic healing.

So, I re-focused my creative energies back on my first love, growing and breeding Cannabis, and armed with a basic knowledge of Mendelian genetics, some pure landraces I've collected, and the blessings (in seed form) bestowed upon me by a homegrown network of Cali growers from Eureka down to Chula Vista, I've been quietly creating my own strains - my objective here is slightly different than many of the excellent breeders whose strains I've been fortunate enough to sample.

Some breeders aim to put in seed form some of the incredible OG genetics that SoCal is notorious for and Swerve & Ograskal are the two I admire the most in this valuable endeavor. They are preserving for posterity this amazingly fruitful period in Cannabis horticulture as well as making these strains much more easily distributable (ever try mailing a clone?).

What I'm trying to do with my strains, however, is to take the best of what the SoCal Medical scene has to offer and bring in some of these old world genetics into the mix to add some hybrid vigor and broaden the 'genetic bottleneck' that happens whenever a particular variety's gene pool takes over the marketplace. An example of this would be the Skunk #1 offshoots in the 80's, the 'White' varieties in the 90's, and various OG cultivars in the 2000's.

I've grown in all kinds of setups - residential, commercial...from tree-grows in huge plastic trash cans filled with earthworm castings and bat guano to vertical PVC column SOG's with tiny netpots and yet I continue to learn from every other grow journal I read. The internet has been an amazing boon to our industry!

Anyway, as you can tell I'm long-winded and can go on forever. I just wanted to introduce myself to everybody, offer my help to anyone who might need it, learn from whomever is willing to teach me, and say that I'll be looking forward to seeing some of you at the World Cannabis Championship in Los Angeles on April 24th!

Peace, and happy yields!

Bear

T

Twomp

Welcome Bear, I too have read and still read that Robert Mathew Clarke book Marijuana botany, great stuff in there.

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Welcome Bear

i've enjoyed Mr. clarke's book also in my youth, and still have a copy somewhere. you sound like a well traveled and rather knowledgeable guy, always a good addition. look forward to seeing you in action, the world always needs new seeds.

mal

Hrpuffnstuff

Hrpuffnstuff

Greetings we bring from Jah!
Welcome back to Cali
You sound like top notch cat , im looking foward to your creations =)

H

haze89

Welcome to the farm man. Sounds like you can bring a lot to the table. Can't wait for you to get started around these parts. This is THE place to be if you're serious about your growing game.

S

Swerve

Welcome Bear, I too have read and still read that Robert Mathew Clarke book Marijuana botany, great stuff in there.

its actually robert c clarke.. but its ok lol he is a really nice guy and can smoke with the best of them... it was fun smoking with him and sam the skunk man..

nice to see you around bear so you moved back eh... didnt we meet at the lil smoke out in the dam this past november with logic , karma, and a few others?

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
its actually robert c clarke.. but its ok lol he is a really nice guy and can smoke with the best of them... it was fun smoking with him and sam the skunk man..

nice to see you around bear so you moved back eh... didnt we meet at the lil smoke out in the dam this past november with logic , karma, and a few others?

not the same guy swerve

M

MIZZ ELVIS

Welcome to the farm Brother!!!!!!

Welcome brother Bear!!!!!!! Your intro was great, and I'm glad to see your working with heirloom genetics from the past; that is a great contribution to our community!!! I wish you the best of luck with your endeavors, and I'm sure you feel right at home on the farm!!!

On another note(punintentional)I hope your back to playing your guitar like you 1nce did very soon brother! I know how crushing the feeling is, to not be able to play the guitar because of an injury. Its hard for a non guitarist/musician to relate, as the soul satisfaction that playing music gives, is so indescribably powerful, and one of a kind. My accident left me with a compound fracture of the Ulna, a displaced fracture of Radius, and three smashed metacarpals that required three titanium plates,12 screws and 3 pins to repair. That effectively ended my shredder days as I no longer had the dexterity or range of motion in my fingers like once before. I lost the majority of my range of motion in my middle, ring, and pinky fingers, so my speed & accuracy is pretty pathetic now. My days of shredding on giant steps are long gone.... It took about 18 months of not playing due to the injury, and frustration from the effects of the injury, till I picked up my Jap Strat; and decided I was going to start over. I've made much progress in that time, and can once again play well enough to feel a little of that indescribable satisfaction from the past. I still wish I could continue where I was though; it's hard to go from playing Paganini to Eliot Smith lol!!!!

Take care brother, and welcome to the farm!!! Best of luck to ya!!!!!:damnhippie:

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

Welcome! Santa Cruz was, and still is a great town to educate yourself in medicinal botany. Looking forward to see what genetics you bring to the table

T

Twomp

Connell yes your right, lol I have just smoked. Sound like a cool guy.

P

Pot Boy

Welcome Bear!

I know all to well that an injury can set you back playing guitar I crushed my index finger between two car bumpers when I was 26 and had to where a splint for a bought three months set me back I feel over a years worth of practice. But it did come back not as good as before but I do have the soul connection back its my religion! Music is and always will be the voice of man from any culture any race. Peace!

G

goleboy

i wish i could have smoked with all thoose cool people...lucky guys. I am blessed to have freinds and family to share the ganja with though woot woot!

B

Bear

Thanks so much for the warm welcome, fellow farmers, I finally feel I've found a community that speaks MY language!

I'm popping a varied sampling of my beans today to celebrate the Vernal Equinox - half will be grown indoors in an aero SOG setup and the other half, get this, will be grown organically outdoors in a friend's loft which has a south-facing terrace with all-day sunlight. An outdoor grow right in the middle of the city, I love it!

He tested out the spot last year and grew a 5-6 foot Hawaiian Sativa which ripened in December, within visual distance of the 405 (!)

God, I love California.

Photos will be forthcoming..

Happy Spring, everybody...let's get growing!

Bear

Latest posts

Top Bottom