New Pg&e High Usage Surcharge For Cali

• Thread starter 420Artie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420Artie

420Artie

Beginning in March 2017, a new state-mandated High Usage Surcharge will be introduced. Its purpose is to encourage energy conservation among customers whose electricity use is far higher than typical households.

The High Usage Surcharge is an increased price per kilowatt hour (kWh) on any electricity usage that exceeds four times the customer's Tier 1 (Baseline) Allowance.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Beginning in March 2017, a new state-mandated High Usage Surcharge will be introduced. Its purpose is to encourage energy conservation among customers whose electricity use is far higher than typical households.

The High Usage Surcharge is an increased price per kilowatt hour (kWh) on any electricity usage that exceeds four times the customer's Tier 1 (Baseline) Allowance.
My notice said it's starting January 1, 2017, but also that they're moving some of the tiering from 3 into 2 or something like that.

It also said the CPUC was requiring this, and that is, in a word, bullshit.
looks like PG&E wants in on the $ from cali going legal.
Not just PG&E, all the for-profit utilities. The big three in California are PG&E, SoCal Edison and San Diego Gas & Electric. Who all, by the by, got caught and dinged back in the 90s for colluding to fix power prices in the state.

S

SaltSpring

Remember under the cPUC they have to offer lower rates for certain medical conditions, usually ones that require some sort of power device ( breathing machine ) and all sorts of other medical ways of getting your bill lowered. I know running lights during the cheapest part of the day helps with the bills, I.E. where I live the period you don't want to be using lots o electricity is from 5:00 PM to about 9:00pm. I know this doesn't work for some people running certain light cycles, but definitely can save a buck adjusting your lighting during flowering.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Sounds like it's finally time to get solar panels! When I move to flower, I'm thinking I'll run the lights from 7PM to 7AM. Hopefully that will save me some coin.
I have to run mine at night cause I live in the desert. But truly it feels better safety wise being home when the lights are on just in case something happens like a fire or something. But then that is freaky as well cause I'm sleeping during lights on. But I make sure my smoke alarms and fire extinguishers are on the ready!!!!

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

In OR we already have that built-in to the commercial accounts, the more you use the more you pay per KW (tiered). Although our PGE charges way less than Cali's due to the abundance of hydrodams.

420Artie

420Artie

Sounds like it's finally time to get solar panels! When I move to flower, I'm thinking I'll run the lights from 7PM to 7AM. Hopefully that will save me some coin.
change your pg&e plan and run your lights after 9:30 pm to save $

Bearfamfarm

Bearfamfarm

Might need to get solar and make the payments to them instead of Sce until it is paid off.

SinCity

SinCity

Can anyone guesstimate about how much it would cost to buy and install solar panels to run about 10,000 watts?

Navillusii

Navillusii

Might need to get solar and make the payments to them instead of Sce until it is paid off.

I'd look into wind power, it produces juice damn near all the time and you can run somewhere around 151 feet from you battery bank. :)

Bearfamfarm

Bearfamfarm

Ya 3$ a watt is a good price. There is a way to calculate how many panels you would need based on your monthly usage. You probably don't run 10kw all day so you won't have to get a huge system. Even a system that gets you back into tier 1 would be worth it. And I believe there are still tax breaks of 30% back

Top Bottom