New PH meter need help

• Thread starter Billymgb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Billymgb

Billymgb

Ok I just got a PH meter and the directions are talking about calibrating. How do you guys and gals do this, what do you use. Thanks in advance.
Bill G

Fitter2004

Fitter2004

Ok I just got a PH meter and the directions are talking about calibrating. How do you guys and gals do this, what do you use. Thanks in advance.
Bill G
You’ll also need a solution for storing the pen. Do not let sensor dry out. Calibrate frequently to make certain you are getting proper readings. There are many calibration products out there. Many based on preference. This product will suit. Also you may only need one or the other. Some pens calibrate two points in which case you would get both.

Anthem

Anthem

You’ll also need a solution for storing the pen. Do not let sensor dry out. Calibrate frequently to make certain you are getting proper readings. There are many calibration products out there. Many based on preference. This product will suit. Also you may only need one or the other. Some pens calibrate two points in which case you would get both.
I am not familiar with PH pens that require solution for storing. I am presently using the Bluelab line. What line requires solution for storing?

Fitter2004

Fitter2004

I am not familiar with PH pens that require solution for storing. I am presently using the Bluelab line. What line requires solution for storing?
I was under the impression that they all did. I think it’s just the calibration solution I’m thinking of. I’ve never spent the cash on a bluelab but the ones I have had have a sponge in the cap and you’re supposed to keep that moist or wet. So the sensor doesn’t dry out. Right now I have a HM and years ago had one that said to do same thing. Don’t remember brand

Badchoice

Badchoice

Silly tip if your not sure if your pen/meter is reading correctly, test a glass of 3% aka whole milk ph should be like 6.3 to 6.7 it’s an easy house hold item to help take any guessing out if your device need calibration.

Billymgb

Billymgb

Thanks for the reply's everyone, I did get instructions but they are very vague. It is a no name from china. It just says to calibrate with a buffer solution, I see you get what you pay for.lol

visajoe1

visajoe1

I've had cheap ph pens which last a day and ive had an oakton which lasted for over a year. the issue with pens is cleaning and calibrating. mold can grow on them when they sit in solution, which requires maintenance. kind of annoying.

drops is the way to go imo. always accurate, cheap, fast, no calibrating. once you figure out your recipe you can usually mix it blind, but its still good practice to check ph every time.

Fitter2004

Fitter2004

I've had cheap ph pens which last a day and ive had an oakton which lasted for over a year. the issue with pens is cleaning and calibrating. mold can grow on them when they sit in solution, which requires maintenance. kind of annoying.

drops is the way to go imo. always accurate, cheap, fast, no calibrating. once you figure out your recipe you can usually mix it blind, but its still good practice to check ph every time.
I started my current grow with drops. After a week of veg I bought a HM meter and calibrated it. I was keeping my nutrients at roughly 5.5-5.8 with drops. When I checked it with my new calibrated meter it was reading 6.9. I recalibrated the meter to 4 instead of 7 and still pH was 6.9. I then adjusted nutrients down to 5.8 with the new meter. I’m still curious as to why the drops were so far off? The color difference between say 5.5 and 7 is a very noticeable difference. Did I contaminate solution somehow? Plants are doing great and nutrients hold steady at 5.8 with ppm of 750.

CF89

CF89

$450usd for that bluelab device wow!!

I swear it’s the same as the oil industry. They know welders and growers make big bucks and pure profit so they gouge us as hard as humanly possible. And then some more. A guy can have like $5000 invested in a 4x4 tent.

crazy. Almost takes all the fun out of it.

Fitter2004

Fitter2004

Whats the expiration date? Does it say made in China?
😂 it’s general hydroponics indicator.. I know probably not the best and probably is from china now but I was thinking it would get me closer than that. Maybe it was old I’m not sure. Just wanted to mention that about drops. I thought the old school way was tried and true but still it’s good to check with a calibrated meter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom