New room construction

• Thread starter tokinupon1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tokinupon1

tokinupon1

Well summer is almost here and grow ends in a couple weeks and I'm trying to do some planning. I plan on building a new room and putting my tents away. Just not enough space to enjoy and spend time with my ladies. I pretty much can build up to a 10x10 but am thinking something around 7x10. Im going to be running 2 air cooled 1ks maybe 3 from Time to time. So my questions.

I was shopping at the local home improvement store and what do you guys suggest for the walls? Trying to keep it cheap and easy to rip down if need be.
Looked at maybe foam board but don't like that idea just seems easy to hang hard to work with. There also was some 1/8 inch thick peg type board without the holes? Both are under 10 bucks a 4x8 sheet

Then as far as white walls should I paint or go with the panda?

I believe HD has 1/2" OSB for under $9. Not sure what their 1/4" is, but it would be cheaper than that

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

Ya the peg board was like 7 something there all pretty much all under 10. I'm looking to go with something a little easier to bust up and put in garbage bags if shtf. Osb isn't really a bust up material. But maybe what I end up using.

J

JAHGYDI

im going to building a new room too ive been thinking of what im going to use. let us know of your progress.

M

mrgreenthumb

i just got finished building a 5x12 room,decided to try this stuff.

gla d i did stuff worked great, easy to work with.the room turned out great.and you can find it at the diy stores

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

What was the size/ cost? And it looks like a roll of material but it's 5/16 thick is it a board?

coloradochem

coloradochem

Check out sunsimulators new room construction post in this section, I cant figure out how to put a link to it, but he built it out of 1x2's and panda plastic, use duct tape and rubber cement to seal up the seams and a tape in zipper to make a door works nicely.

hiboy

hiboy

Reflectix, home depot carries it, buddy said it was like 104 bucks for a roll close to 4 ft wide. He thought the length was only 25 feet.

hiboy

hiboy

Do you have to frame walls? if so metal stud is easier to work with and disassmbled, it can be cut with tin snips
I would paint any surface if it allows it to be painted=protects from water/mold/insect larvae
hiboy

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

Thanks hi boy I'll look into it.I haven't bought panda film in a whiles either wonder what I'll get raped for a roll of that. And I seen simulators tent it's very nice super clever but looking to get away from the tents.

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

And it's a basement build nothing really to start with was going to just frame it with 2x3s cheap and effective. I am worried tho the bottom what to use just in case there was ever a leak or anything maybe use pressure treated or will that harm plants?

hiboy

hiboy

Metal studs, wont rot, etc.
Frame it with them, insulate if needed in your location (factors of noise, temperature), etc
Green board is great for the bottom sheet that lines and meets the floor in case of spill.
paint paint paint-i like the oil base , great once it airs out

hiboy

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
what about rigid styrofoam as walls attaches to 1x2's. easy to set up and tare down, cheap and also servers as a reflective surface. jus dont lean on the walls or frame out evey 6inches instead of every 16inches

confu's .02

hiboy

hiboy

Yah it would work , you just cant attach to it with netting, equipment unless you find the studs, not as durable, sturdy but probably easier and cheaper than drywall and painting. Def. not as sealable.
hiboy

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

Confu was debating the foam board price is just about $10 a sheet it's super easy to cut/fit/destroy. I'm going to check into the alum studs for sure hi boy and at least maybe use them around the base. I figured in stead of green board just make the bottom 2 inches a separate piece that is easily replaceable in case water damage ever was to happen.

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
Yah it would work , you just cant attach to it with netting, equipment unless you find the studs, not as durable, sturdy but probably easier and cheaper than drywall and painting. Def. not as sealable.
hiboy

yeah sealable hiboy, tape the joints with reflective duct tape. def not durable. I wasnt sure how many runs dude was planning, jus the first thing that came to mind with the criteria he metioned.

confu...

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
Confu was debating the foam board price is just about $10 a sheet it's super easy to cut/fit/destroy. I'm going to check into the alum studs for sure hi boy and at least maybe use them around the base. I figured in stead of green board just make the bottom 2 inches a separate piece that is easily replaceable in case water damage ever was to happen.

deffinately destroy 2 easy, ive made the mistake of leaning up against it with my FAT SELF. luckly i have mines framed out with 2x 4's insulation behind it and osb drywall holding it all together.

what Hiboy reccomended is solid 2, arent those alum studs kinda pricey commpared to wood? if ur worried bout water leaks and so forth, I totally understand because its bound to happen. What is your floor? if its something like concrete and has the ability to runnoff and not puddle up i wouldnt worry to much about that, ive flooded a few times and the wood did not absorb any, the condtions in the room evaporated before it could happen. mabe, in order to to keep cost down if you go with wood (curious how much alum studs r?) u could wrapp the bottom studs with panda, house wrapp, painters plastic or whatever is cost effective to prevent wood soaking up spills. jus run it up both sides of the walls a couple feet, staple on and move on.

Confu...

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

Im going to do some shopping this weekend I'll see how much the alum are. As for the floor it's concrete no worries about a leak just in case of one would like to be able to replace that area without a total tear down just to cover my ass. Any other suggestions keep em rolling guys I'd just like to get some ideas it's been some time since I've built a room and my old ones were sketchy. Thanks again to all.

S

swisscheese

Pond liner on the floor to waterproof. Some kind of foam paneling would be good for the walls or drywall. For about $10 per sheet you can get a lot of different things up at the depot that would work for you. Just paint everything flat white its cheap and effective.

T

treehugger

Home depot has a white finished 3/16 hardboard for $12 a sheet that is reflective, sterilizable, and cuts with a knife score and snap. Makes a good floor too, if you are trying to protect hardwood floors. Seams finish simply with white duct tape, and the whole system is remarkably durable, yet can be snapped down to small pieces and tossed in the garbage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom