New to coco - clones stunted/Deficient :(

• Thread starter Dr.DWC
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dr.DWC

hey folks

as the title says, This is my first grow in coco, my clones in 100% coco have some deficiencys/problems, cant seem to work them out.... :mad0233:

I am using bag coco, not the brick style coco. The brand i am using is called 'cyco' it has the RHP Dutch certification and has been pre-flushed/washed. Although i did flush it again myself. PH of the coco is bwtween 5.5-6.5 stabilised.

I am usuing coco nutes, Canna coco A+B nutes, plants are under a 600wHPS and temps are averaging around 24degrees celcius. They have good air flow/circulation. I am hand watering them roughly every 6-7 days as they require it.

Ph being fed is spot on 5.8, I originally fed them with 1.2EC (550 ppm) and they did not do alot, i fed them 1 week later with 1.4EC strength (690ppm) and this morning they had slightly burnt tips on the top leaf's. So i flushed them and the run off was 630ppm. I am feeding them with Canna Coco A/B nutes with a touch of superthrive for added vitamins. - All thease clones are 2 weeks in pots since they rooted. (i just seen a thread of someones plant 3 weeks from seed, twice as big as my clones. Somthing is deffinatly wrong here.....) :sign0065:

These first 2 pictures are of my blue fruit clones. I have 8 of this strain in total and all are showing the same stunted growth. The fan leaf's are very small, and the growth is very stunted, they arent light green or going yellow at the bottom leaf's. Just very stunted growth & the main stem is purple in color :sweating

med_gallery_5337_795_4207544.jpg

med_gallery_5337_795_2142710.jpg

This next 2 pictures is of my Devil clones, i have 3 in total. All doing the same thing as one another, very droopy, yellowing at the bottom and pale green up top. The main stems and the fan leaf stems are purpleing. My guess would have been nitrogen deficiency, but Canna coco nutes is high in Nitrogen.....
med_gallery_5337_795_65731.jpg

med_gallery_5337_795_221260.jpg

Thease plants are growing very slow and seem to have a few problems compared to plants ive grown in soil. This is my first time switching from soil to coco and seems coco is alot more problematic.... :sign0065:

Any ideas what i may be doing wrong ? As i originally thought maybe a Mg deficiency, but Canna Coco (or any coco specific nute) is supposed to have added Cal/Mag from what ive read as Coco coir sucks in some cal/mg therfor they add more to the nutes ??

please let me know asap, as my next step is to pull them out of the coco and back into soil..... sounds silly, but coco seems to be a problem thus far.

Hope you folks can help me out :D

Peace :hi

click80

click80

hey folks

as the title says, This is my first grow in coco, my clones in 100% coco have some deficiencys/problems, cant seem to work them out.... :mad0233:

I am using bag coco, not the brick style coco. The brand i am using is called 'cyco' it has the RHP Dutch certification and has been pre-flushed/washed. Although i did flush it again myself. PH of the coco is bwtween 5.5-6.5 stabilised.

I am usuing coco nutes, Canna coco A+B nutes, plants are under a 600wHPS and temps are averaging around 24degrees celcius. They have good air flow/circulation. I am hand watering them roughly every 6-7 days as they require it.

Ph being fed is spot on 5.8, I originally fed them with 1.2EC (550 ppm) and they did not do alot, i fed them 1 week later with 1.4EC strength (690ppm) and this morning they had slightly burnt tips on the top leaf's. So i flushed them and the run off was 630ppm. I am feeding them with Canna Coco A/B nutes with a touch of superthrive for added vitamins. - All thease clones are 2 weeks in pots since they rooted. (i just seen a thread of someones plant 3 weeks from seed, twice as big as my clones. Somthing is deffinatly wrong here.....) :sign0065:

These first 2 pictures are of my blue fruit clones. I have 8 of this strain in total and all are showing the same stunted growth. The fan leaf's are very small, and the growth is very stunted, they arent light green or going yellow at the bottom leaf's. Just very stunted growth & the main stem is purple in color :sweating

med_gallery_5337_795_4207544.jpg

med_gallery_5337_795_2142710.jpg

This next 2 pictures is of my Devil clones, i have 3 in total. All doing the same thing as one another, very droopy, yellowing at the bottom and pale green up top. The main stems and the fan leaf stems are purpleing. My guess would have been nitrogen deficiency, but Canna coco nutes is high in Nitrogen.....
med_gallery_5337_795_65731.jpg

med_gallery_5337_795_221260.jpg

Thease plants are growing very slow and seem to have a few problems compared to plants ive grown in soil. This is my first time switching from soil to coco and seems coco is alot more problematic.... :sign0065:

Any ideas what i may be doing wrong ? As i originally thought maybe a Mg deficiency, but Canna Coco (or any coco specific nute) is supposed to have added Cal/Mag from what ive read as Coco coir sucks in some cal/mg therfor they add more to the nutes ??

please let me know asap, as my next step is to pull them out of the coco and back into soil..... sounds silly, but coco seems to be a problem thus far.

Hope you folks can help me out :D

Peace :hi

I know this will suck for the first reply cause I don't personally know much about coco...but don't compare your clones growth rate to that of a plant from seed...the plant from seed will have more vigor....in my experience anyway..

You mention yellowing and purpling...I dont know if my mac is being a little bitch again but your pics arent showing on my computer...

but burnt tips are not necessarily from nute burn it can also be calcium deficiency if i remember correctly, and with the yellowing and purpling I would think a lockout is preventing uptake of P and Cal/Mag or something of the sort. There is a chart somewhere (the cannabis infirmary section maybe) that will help pinpoint your particular deficiency.

You need to figure out if it is a deficiency from weak nutes, which i doubt, 680ppm is fine for that age as long as you are giving it ample Cal/Mag/Sulfur, or it is a lockout which is preventing uptake of a nute.

You probably already know this, but i did want to mention about the pics, if it is not my computer then it is hard for people to help you on here if they cant do a visual diagnosis.

Sorry I cant be of more help...but there are some pretty smart people on here...one will pop in I am sure.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

First, try reloading your pics.

It doesn't sound like you mixed any perlite. I would use 40-50% perlite. Also make sure that your containers can drain really well. They should get dry faster than 6-7 days for good health. No oxygen in the root zone = stunted plants & lockout.

Also give us you exact nute mix that you have been feeding them.

-TF

click80

click80

First, try reloading your pics.

It doesn't sound like you mixed any perlite. I would use 40-50% perlite. Also make sure that your containers can drain really well. They should get dry faster than 6-7 days for good health. No oxygen in the root zone = stunted plants & lockout.

Also give us you exact nute mix that you have been feeding them.

-TF

Yeah what he said...^ lol...shit i missed that one...was concentrating on the leaf with no pic issue...wow he must have one of those cactus/cannabis crosses...JK

BTW Trich, your coco redemption thread was really good...love your room

J

justblazen

Active Farmer
Are you using RO? Add calmag for sure if using RO. and their right about the perlite.I would lower the ppms when first rooted as well to around 250 ppms, and gradually increase so the roots will grow quicker. Try foliar feeding with magic green once a week or something like it.

D

Dr.DWC

pics uploaded, sorry

hey folks

sorry bout the pics, the site i uploded them from is having issues, so i uploaded them to the site and here they are

First of all, i am using canna coco nutes A+B - they are only 2 weeks old and i thought the idea was to water them only once weekly and let them dry out, i have since been told to water/feed them every 2-3 days and that letting the medium dry out is not important ? they are starving for nutes i rekon.

I am not using RO water, just tap water, let it sit for 24hrs, ph adjusted to 5.8. First feed was at 1.2EC and second feed was at 1.4EC, after i gave them to 1.4EC the next day they had burnt tips of new growth. So i flushed and refed them with 1.0EC feed today. No additives.

first of all the 2 Blue fruit clones, all showing similar symptoms. purple stems, stunted small growth, small fan leaf's.
DSC003871.JPG
DSC00385.JPG

Next is 2 pics of Mr Nice Devil clones, same thing. 2 weeks old. But thease have yellow growth at bottom, pale growth up top. They were fed the same as the Blue Fruit clones.

DSC003891.JPG
DSC003881.JPG

First of all - How often should i be watering/feeding them ? As some growers on other forums are telling me once weekly to feed/water them. Other people are telling me that coco CANNOT be over-watered and to keep the medium damp/moist and water/feed every 2-3 days.

IMO they are lacking nutes, and i am feeding coco specific nutes.

I flushed them yesterday and fed them today with 450ppm 1.0EC strength canna coco nutes.

Any advice please appreciated

EDIT - MIXING EQUAL AMMOUNTS OF CANNA COCO A/B NUTES.

cheers

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

It's not the nutes. Day old tap with A&B at 700 ppm is fine. It's simply not enough oxygen in the root zone. You should have mixed in a good amount of perlite into the media. Also be careful not to up size containers too fast. That will also make it harder for the media to cycle between wet and dry. Just let them dry out mostly between waterings, and they will slowly work their way out of their funk. I find that topping them helps speed up that process.

-TF

-

D

Dr.DWC

hey trichromefan - yeh thanks mate, another bloke on another forum told me the same thing. Not enough oxygen to the rootzone.

Thease plants will be going into 33L pots soon, what ratio of coco/perlite should i be mixing ?

i was thinking roughly 30% perlite to 70% coco ? or maybe more perlite ?

let me know,

cheers :D

nuttso

nuttso

your lackin nutes my friend. You can not compare the ec of one nute seller to another. Simple example. My plants in veg like hesi at 1.4. Nearly burning. If i feed my plants in veg with canna at 1.4 they are starving...they need 1.5-1.7. Whats your tapwaters ec? If you are over 0.4 ec you have to cut with ro till you are at 0.4 than go up to 1.5 ec. 0.4 tap+1.1 nutes.start your way up from there.

nuttso

nuttso

got a c99 f1 right now that showed me some weird burning on the tips, but i'm 100% percent sure it ain't overnuting or anything else just not enough micro. Seems to be known that cindy is hungry as fuck. She is in flower at 1.9ec and showing def. ph in the medium is 5.9.i water with 5.8.

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
Coco is meant to by fed more frequently. You are wIting too long in between feedings. I would say 2-3 days for sure man.

D

Dr.DWC

my tap water is 20ppm straight outta the tap. sweet fuck all minerals in the tap water down here...

i have let me plants/pots dry out and they have come back 110%, they are getting a feed tomorrow at around 1.3EC and we'll see how they go from there. As TrichromeFan said it was a classic example of overwatering locking out nutes/nitrogen. They are standing back up now after drying out and new green growth is quite abundant... i will feed them tomorrow and see how they take 1.3EC

peace

W

warpig

just for future ref folks 'u don't need anythin mixed wi coco'
u can add pebbles etc dont hurt but u can grow 100% coco
glad u got prob solved-i use coco n water/feed daily from
miniute i pot cuttings on-full strength green haze nutes
happy coco growin u won't b dssapointed

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Good news man. It can be hard for any of us to give help without being there, and knowing every detail about what happened to the plants so far. I am glad that you got them looking better. I have had the same hurdles before, so it made sense that it was lack of oxygen in the root zone. I wouldn't transplant too fast there. You are gonna have to get the plants to fill out the container before it is better to transplant. I would water smaller amounts till they drink faster. They should drink at least every other day when they are ready for the next container. Go for 40-50% perlite. I also really suggest smart pots. They also help with oxygen in the root zone. I would also strongly recommend stepping up in pot size in increments. That helps with not being too soggy from a big container full of new coco that has no roots in it to drink up. For instance I go from a red cup to a 5x5" pot to a 3 gal bag. Hope that helps a bit.

-TF

nuttso

nuttso

canna nutes are designed to be used with 200ppm @ 0.5 conv mostly of that ca/mg. U can simply use ro water and add cal/mag with some iron till you hit 200ppm or 0.4 ec. You need some calmag with 20ppm bro

D

Dr.DWC

ive got a cal/mag supplement by GROTEK witch has added iron aswell. i will feed them that at 1ml per litre aswell to add the missing cal/mg/.

about to mix up the res and give them a feed, see how they are going in the next couple days.

G

greenmaninto

start with basics
how is your water? if you have RO water filter, you'll need to add calmag. I think your pH is off and your getting nutrient block

Z

Z-ro

the only thing you are lacking is nutrition, specifically magnesium. make your next couple feedings at 2.2ec and watch em bounce right back, coco is best run uncut and without perlite in all my experiences.

Latest posts

Top Bottom