New to coco, made a few mistakes, can this be saved?

• Thread starter asockinabox
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
asockinabox

asockinabox

I’ve been running into some issues as a beginner in coco, I’ve had a few successful grows in soil but have never experienced anything like this. My plant is about 12 days old now and has been freaking out recently. So my first mistake was buying ‘triple pre-washed coco’ and buying into the idea that they would actually wash the coco to at least lower the ppm to something acceptable for a seedling to be started in, and I did not wash the coco, I sprouted it directly into the coco which i am using Growstone gs-4 mix with no added perlite. I did not pre-buff with cal mag because I was following a youtube series where he adds the cal mag in with each feeding and that’s all so that’s what I planned to do and opted not to pre-buff with cal mag. I am using a bestva 1000w LED grow light about 20 inches away from the plants with 24 hours of light a day being that I am growing auto flowers, the temps have been 80-85F with humidity being around 25-35% The seedling was started in a 5 gal pot with room to add more coco in case of streching was watered with bottled water for the first days until they grew its first set of true leaves. lthen I stated to notice the problems after that, the tips of the first set of true leaves started to yellow and actually go grey as you can see on one side of the first set of true leaves. I thought that was slightly odd as I knew the cotyledons should be supplying enough food. I went and flushed the coco with distilled water with a ph of about 6.2 and cal mag at 100ppm and to my amazement the first ppm reading of the runoff from the ‘triple washed coco’ was around 2000 ppm!!! I went and prepared enough water/cal mag to eventually flush all the way down so that my runoff was reading 100 ppm. At last I thought I was ok then the necrosis starred to spread to the other side of the plant! The growth has haulted to a snails pace and the growth is showing signs of extreme stress. My nutrients hasn’t changed as I don’t think the plant was big enough for a dose of nutrients and I was trying to ride it out to see if it could fix itself with the 100ppm flush but as you will see it did not. I have done countless readings on trying to figure out what my problem is across multiple forums and I can’t seem to find any answer to what I’m experiencing now. I wanted to avoid making a post as much as possible because I know there are countless numbers of people running into similar things but I can’t seem to find one that has what I’m dealing with, any help is appreciated! And I can provide any information needed to help as much as possible. Thanks!

New to coco made a few mistakes can this be saved
New to coco made a few mistakes can this be saved 2
fatconeskills

fatconeskills

I struggled with the same issue you have been facing. I bought block coco and didn't prewash at all. My symptoms started at week 3. I think it's best to regerminate and replant, you haven't invested much time yet. I'd hate to say it my brother, but scrap and start over. All the points you stated above contributed to this, so just wash your coco till the runoff is as clear as the water going in. No need to prebuffer, just. make sure to feed cal mag first week after breaking surface.

asockinabox

asockinabox

I struggled with the same issue you have been facing. I bought block coco and didn't prewash at all. My symptoms started at week 3. I think it's best to regerminate and replant, you haven't invested much time yet. I'd hate to say it my brother, but scrap and start over. All the points you stated above contributed to this, so just wash your coco till the runoff is as clear as the water going in. No need to prebuffer, just. make sure to feed cal mag first week after breaking surface.
Darn that’s really unfortunate I was really hoping I could scrap it but honestly looking at it your completely right my yields would most likely be severely impacted from the stress this has had on the plant. Thank you for the info though I like to see it as a learning experience/hobby so a few lost soldiers is just a part of the game I guess. Will definitely be washing my coco from now on to ensure this doesn’t happen again. Thanks!

fatconeskills

fatconeskills

Darn that’s really unfortunate I was really hoping I could scrap it but honestly looking at it your completely right my yields would most likely be severely impacted from the stress this has had on the plant. Thank you for the info though I like to see it as a learning experience/hobby so a few lost soldiers is just a part of the game I guess. Will definitely be washing my coco from now on to ensure this doesn’t happen again. Thanks!
Let her go for a couple of days while you germinate another, if she shows signs of recovery then maybe transplant into a small container, or a solo cup and just have fun with it. I'm so sorry, I hate when our plants get sick, but as you said its part of the game. Don't be to hard on yourself, you were able to identify some issues that some would've ignored.

Growing_Garbage

Growing_Garbage

Hmm I've burned em like that and had them pull thru fine. I usually plant seeds into second run coco now.
Let it sit while that coco drys up a bit and see if she doesn't get going again. She looks a bit soaked in those pics. When its that young plain phed water when the top of the coco is dried off.

asockinabox

asockinabox

Hmm I've burned em like that and had them pull thru fine. I usually plant seeds into second run coco now.
Let it sit while that coco drys up a bit and see if she doesn't get going again. She looks a bit soaked in those pics. When its that young plain phed water when the top of the coco is dried off.
Ok I’ll definitely let her be for the time being and keep and eye on her to see what happens over the next few days. The pictures were right after a flush of the 100ppm distilled water to try and correct the issues, I try to follow the first knuckle rule to measure the dryness of the coco, don’t know how reliable that is but that’s what I’ve heard around the forums. I will definitely only water small amounts on smaller plants my next run. Thanks!!!

THCMonster

THCMonster

I must have great luck or something, cause ive been running coco for 7 years and have never pre-buffered my coco. Idk it makes a difference using canna coco... But ive started seeds right into pure coco (no issues), and my clones always get put into coco (no issue). Hell when I got on to coco 7 years ago CANNA never said anything about pre-buffering the coco, just to add additional Cal-mag every other feeding.

But ever since i started amending my coco with Dolomite Lime i havent needed to use Cal Mag for 2+ years to me!

This pre-buffering coco seems like such a new concept and im amazed ive never had to do it!

Seems like the #1 problem people run into, now dont get me wrong i have gotten cal mag deficiency with coco, but NEVER with in the first month of planting my plant!

Guess im just blessed! 🙏

asockinabox

asockinabox

I must have great luck or something, cause ive been running coco for 7 years and have never pre-buffered my coco. Idk it makes a difference using canna coco... But ive started seeds right into pure coco (no issues), and my clones always get put into coco (no issue). Hell when I got on to coco 7 years ago CANNA never said anything about pre-buffering the coco, just to add additional Cal-mag every other feeding.

But ever since i started amending my coco with Dolomite Lime i havent needed to use Cal Mag for 2+ years to me!

This pre-buffering coco seems like such a new concept and im amazed ive never had to do it!

Seems like the #1 problem people run into, now dont get me wrong i have gotten cal mag deficiency with coco, but NEVER with in the first month of planting my plant!

Guess im just blessed! 🙏
That’s very interesting. I’ve heard quite good things about CANNA coco with the research I’ve done. Seems to be the way to go at least pre prepped that you don’t have to do much yourself. Might have to try that out in the future.

THCMonster

THCMonster

Like i said idk if thats the reason i dont have issues, but i did switch to another bag of coco years ago and it was trash, the run off after i watered my plants was damn near black!!! Dirtiest coco i ever used, ive stuck with Canna and never went back! Its more expensive then most Coco out there but ive never had any major issues with it!

Like i said... I started seeds straight into it and those went about 3-4 weeks before i noticed they really needed additional cal-mag, and ive popped 100's of seeds through out the years!

I use to be a breeder and thats all i used when I popped the seed from my seeded plants!

I would at least recommend giving it a try.

asockinabox

asockinabox

Like i said idk if thats the reason i dont have issues, but i did switch to another bag of coco years ago and it was trash, the run off after i watered my plants was damn near black!!! Dirtiest coco i ever used, ive stuck with Canna and never went back! Its more expensive then most Coco out there but ive never had any major issues with it!

Like i said... I started seeds straight into it and those went about 3-4 weeks before i noticed they really needed additional cal-mag, and ive popped 100's of seeds through out the years!

I use to be a breeder and thats all i used when I popped the seed from my seeded plants!

I would at least recommend giving it a try.
That’s very interesting about the runoff. I’m starting to think this company many not ‘wash’ their coco to the same standards as others do. My runoff was also nearly black and took a good couple of gallons of water to get a near clear runoff/a good ppm reading. Which also probably stressed the plant out quite a bit being it not have a completely developed root system yet. Honestly starting to think that it’s a combination of mistakes/unexpected happenings that led me to this very poor sick plant. I’ll let it dry up just a tad and keep a close eye and update if it recovers.

THCMonster

THCMonster

That’s very interesting about the runoff. I’m starting to think this company many not ‘wash’ their coco to the same standards as others do. My runoff was also nearly black and took a good couple of gallons of water to get a near clear runoff/a good ppm reading. Which also probably stressed the plant out quite a bit being it not have a completely developed root system yet. Honestly starting to think that it’s a combination of mistakes/unexpected happenings that led me to this very poor sick plant. I’ll let it dry up just a tad and keep a close eye and update if it recovers.

Usually plants in coco tend to bounce back pretty quick and easy, even seeds tend to bounce back as long as they dont dry out too much... Might just put you back a couple of weeks, but im sure it will bounce back for you!

I know it sucks! Ive definitely messed up a time too many through out the years... But you live and you learn! Eventually you will dial in what works for you... I wouldnt give up on coco though because the results are top notch!

Good luck man! Wish you the best! 👍

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I’ve been running into some issues as a beginner in coco, I’ve had a few successful grows in soil but have never experienced anything like this. My plant is about 12 days old now and has been freaking out recently. So my first mistake was buying ‘triple pre-washed coco’ and buying into the idea that they would actually wash the coco to at least lower the ppm to something acceptable for a seedling to be started in, and I did not wash the coco, I sprouted it directly into the coco which i am using Growstone gs-4 mix with no added perlite. I did not pre-buff with cal mag because I was following a youtube series where he adds the cal mag in with each feeding and that’s all so that’s what I planned to do and opted not to pre-buff with cal mag. I am using a bestva 1000w LED grow light about 20 inches away from the plants with 24 hours of light a day being that I am growing auto flowers, the temps have been 80-85F with humidity being around 25-35% The seedling was started in a 5 gal pot with room to add more coco in case of streching was watered with bottled water for the first days until they grew its first set of true leaves. lthen I stated to notice the problems after that, the tips of the first set of true leaves started to yellow and actually go grey as you can see on one side of the first set of true leaves. I thought that was slightly odd as I knew the cotyledons should be supplying enough food. I went and flushed the coco with distilled water with a ph of about 6.2 and cal mag at 100ppm and to my amazement the first ppm reading of the runoff from the ‘triple washed coco’ was around 2000 ppm!!! I went and prepared enough water/cal mag to eventually flush all the way down so that my runoff was reading 100 ppm. At last I thought I was ok then the necrosis starred to spread to the other side of the plant! The growth has haulted to a snails pace and the growth is showing signs of extreme stress. My nutrients hasn’t changed as I don’t think the plant was big enough for a dose of nutrients and I was trying to ride it out to see if it could fix itself with the 100ppm flush but as you will see it did not. I have done countless readings on trying to figure out what my problem is across multiple forums and I can’t seem to find any answer to what I’m experiencing now. I wanted to avoid making a post as much as possible because I know there are countless numbers of people running into similar things but I can’t seem to find one that has what I’m dealing with, any help is appreciated! And I can provide any information needed to help as much as possible. Thanks!
Sorry dude. 40 yr soil grower, 6 month coco and frickin wow on the coco.

Okay. I don't care where you get you're coco you need to buffer it by soaking it in a high calcium and magnesium solution. 1000-2000 ppms is good for 24 hrs then rinse.

BUT, you need to get the seedlings to 1 week with no nutes. Bottled and or RO water. No nutes needed. Nutes just burn the new roots.

Transplant into the buffered coco. 1, 2, 5+ gallon doesn't matter. You'll be watering the size of the pot from now on. 3+ times a day and the plant can't ever sit in waste water or ever dry out.

Watering the pot? Yeah, 20+% runoff. 20% runoff on a 5 gal pot is way more than a 1 gal pot.

Growing in coco is way different. You really can't overwater.

So once started you need to maintain waterings (fertigations, always with nutrients) 2-5 times a day, every day with 20+% runoff.

The first several weeks will be with a weak solution of nutes, adding higher concentrations as the plant grows. Too much will burn the roots, stunting growth. Always error on the side of caution. More is never better.

I can't tell you how glad I am to have found this method of growing. Blows soil away. Any questions please ask.

OgGrowingDro

OgGrowingDro

I just wanted to mention 25%-35% RH is incredibly low for a seedling and can also have more of an effect than you might think for a seedling you should be near 80% maybe mist a dome to put over it and leave it cracked so its not 100% RH Hope she turns around :)

Formallyhap

Formallyhap

with autos you are f'd if you stunt them as a baby and you won't ever yield for shit.
start over, sry

rinse the crap out of whatever media you are going to use

KanaGirl

KanaGirl

Guess im just blessed! 🙏

How much dolomite lime do you amend your starting coco? Also, once you amend, do you have to top dress at any point throughout the lifecycle?? And one last question - does the dolomite help buffer your ph? Do you still ph all your water going in?? Thanks for your time 😉

S

SHAKELLY

I know this is an old thread and found it just researching stuff, so just thought I'll add my 2 pence. I'm by no means an expert but have found that humidity plays a big part in how much nutrient is taken up by a plant. I noticed you said your humidity is about 25 to 35%. Meaning your plant is transpiring like mad and taking up more nutrients than it needs. With your coco run off also been so high this would of doubled the effect and i think a nutrient lockout has also caused some calmag problems also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom