New To Colorado And Growing.

• Thread starter Potato Pipe
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Potato Pipe

Potato Pipe

First, hello to everyone here in Colorado. This state is gorgeous and I still look to the west every day to check out the incredible view of the mountains everyone around here gets to have. It is very different (in a good way) compared to where I moved from where you need a few million dollars before you can get a home with an ocean view.

My wife and I recently relocated to Colorado and are living in the Broomfield/Layfette area. We were living in Southern California for the last 10 years but she was headhunted for a job out here and given an offer we couldn't refuse (big jump in pay, lower cost of living, etc). I worked in the aquarium industry for the last 10 years before moving here and also bred saltwater fish and propagated corals as a hobby. It was never anything that was going to make me rich but I enjoyed the hell out of it while I did it.

I was a medical cannabis patient in California for the last two years but don't really have much experience with the plant before that. I decided that when I moved out here I wanted to get into growing cannabis for personal use but also as a hobby so I could explore different phenotypes and hopefully keep a mother that I could graft to so I could keep my favorite strains on hand.

I am currently building my little indoor grow area and I'm planning to do just a single plant to start. For a growing medium I'm planning to use coco coir amended with worm castings and a small amount of bat guano. I'm still building my light fixture but I am going to have a combo of compact fluorescent and LEDs so I can vary the Kelvins up or down depending on what stage the plant is in.

I'm still reading, researching, and building so I don't have much in the way of questions yet but I know I will so I wanted to stop in and say "Hi!" ahead of time. Sorry if this is long, I'm just excited to get into a new hobby and have the tendency to yammer on.

Potato Pipe

Potato Pipe

Thank you all for the greetings. :)

Big WELCOME to the state of dreams man! Spent 9 years in Sandiego before moving with the family here in the Fort. We love it!
if you need any electrical work I can help out with that, seeds too!

Peace
I love San Diego. Spent more time than I'd like to admit surf fishing and camping along the beaches down there. I lived in Long Beach for most of the time I was in California which I also enjoyed, but it didn't have the history (or tortilla vendors) that San Diego has.

I will definitely be stopping into your shop in the next few days. I think I have a handle on the wiring and fab work ahead of me but I don't know my a$$ from my elbow when it comes to selecting strains to grow. I have some Dr. Krippling Incredible Bulk headed my way but I mainly selected that because it was suppose to be a good plant for beginners.

C

cctt

I have some Dr. Krippling Incredible Bulk headed my way but I mainly selected that because it was suppose to be a good plant for beginners.

I have no experience with that strain but it looks like it's bred to be easy to get huge yields from. As you're doing this for personal reasons, I would recommend choosing genetics based on what you like to smoke yourself. Commercial operations mainly have to consider flowering times and yield (profitability) which is not the same consideration for you. Each strain may vary in the best way to care for it, but you can learn as you go and get used to whatever it is you like to grow.

Potato Pipe

Potato Pipe

I have no experience with that strain but it looks like it's bred to be easy to get huge yields from. As you're doing this for personal reasons, I would recommend choosing genetics based on what you like to smoke yourself. Commercial operations mainly have to consider flowering times and yield (profitability) which is not the same consideration for you. Each strain may vary in the best way to care for it, but you can learn as you go and get used to whatever it is you like to grow.
I'm still in exploration mode when it comes to finding what I like....or even better, to find a strain I don't (because they've all been pretty great in their own way :) ). The Incredible Bulk was just picked for getting my feet wet and learn as much as I can before moving off to my favorite strains.

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
What a welcome. Love the name potatoe pipe ? Good luck in your adventures sounds like you know what ya want. M

Potato Pipe

Potato Pipe

@Medusa
Unfortunately, potatoes have played a big roll in my use of cannabis. The last two years have been something like this:

Buy a nice piece of glass :).
Lose it over the side of my kayak while ocean fishing :oops:.
Make a potato pipe as a filler till I get another glass piece :rolleyes:.

Buy another piece of glass :).
Put it down while surf fishing and have the tide wash it out :eek:.
Make a potato pipe as a filler till I get another glass piece :rolleyes:.

Buy a Magic Flight Box :cool:.
Have my neighbor borrow it for the evening and ruin it by trying to smoke it like a regular pipe and somehow ripping the screen apart :mad:.
Make a potato pipe as a filler till I get a replacement :mad:.
Get a replacement that looks like it was a blem and doesn't work (all holes for stem, battery etc were drilled way too big) :(.
Make a potato pipe as a filler till I can buy something else :rolleyes:.

Move to Colorado and buy another glass piece :):cool::):cool::).
Leave it on the back porch with water still in it in negative temps and wake up to a shattered piece of glass :confused: .
Make a potato pipe as filler for my shattered bubbler till I can hit up the pipe shop again....which happens to be on my agenda for today :).

I think it might be time for me to move onto more indestructible methods for smoking.

DapperDon

DapperDon

@Medusa
Unfortunately, potatoes have played a big roll in my use of cannabis. The last two years have been something like this:

Buy a nice piece of glass :).

Make a potato pipe :rolleyes:.

Buy another piece of glass :).

Make a potato pipe:rolleyes:.

Buy a Magic Flight Box :cool:.

Make a potato pipe :mad:.

Move to Colorado and buy another glass piece :):cool::):cool::).

Make a potato pipe:).

FIFY!

I am still cracking up over this lol. There is a user here names Wavegem. He works with stainless steel fabrication. Perhaps you should ditch the glass and get a stainless bong lol. Hmm...Does anyone make a stainless steel bong? That could be pretty sweet. Anyway, I am jealous and at the same time very happy to see that there are some really righteous folk out in Colorado. I spend half the year in Florida and let me tell you, so far the community here is non existent. I have not encountered not one ounce of the kindness like I have seen in this thread. Perhaps I need to get my happy ass out there this year and share the air.

Potato Pipe

Potato Pipe

How long does a potato pipe last? Do you make a new one every day? You must be an accomplished pipe carver by now.
Fresher the better if you ask me but you can easily get a few days out of them if you get lazy (like I often do) and don't want to make another one each night. Once it is no longer moist to the touch you gotta pitch it though or else you'll be sucking ash every time you smoke...or end up with the cherry on your tongue like I have a few times (thank goodness for saliva).

Should I ever get the honor to smoke with any of you in the future and there is a potato around I'd be more than happy to make one.

Potato Pipe

Potato Pipe

LMAO. Get some rolling papers Or stick with a potatoe pipe Sorry that's some funny stuff.
I'm horrible with paper. By the time I'm done rolling it looks more like a giant bang cap than anything else.
Bang_snaps.JPG

@Potato Pipe that is a far better story for a name than I got. I like homebrewing.
haha
peaces
I would totally trade you any day. I get your gift and loyal following and you get some serious pipe making skills with America's favorite starch.

homebrew420

homebrew420

Haha been looking for someone with starch manipulation skills! Haha
peace

Top Bottom