New to DWC and have a sick plant HELP

• Thread starter Kylesidious
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kylesidious

Kylesidious

Hey everyone, Kylesidious here.

I recently got back into growing and decide to go with a single bucket DWC. Yesterday I bought clone that was in soil when I picked it up. When I got home I already had my water made up for the bucket and I went ahead and knocked off the soil from the root system and then transplanted it into a 6in net pot with hydroton and into the bucket it went.

For my water I’m using distilled water at 0 PPM and I added the following..

Res size : 3 gallons + 2 cups of water
Cal mag : 4ml/g
Cyco platinum A/B : 5.5ml/g of each
B1 Boost : 3.8ml/g
Cyco Zyme : 3.8ml/g
Dr.Repair : 3.8ml/g

After this I checked the PPM and it was only at around 300, so I added equal parts of more Cyco Grow A/B (20ml of each) and was able to get the PPM to about 700 and my PH was at 5.7.

Since transplanting I’ve seen the plant droop it’s leaves and they were curling under, that seems to have gotten better but now I’m seeing some discoloration in the leaves almost like a deficiency or burn. I’m adding pics for you to be able to look at.
I’m using a Spider Farmer SF1000 at full wattage and I don’t have any wind hitting the plant directly, just above the canopy.

Here are my current stats

humidity 38%
temp in tent 25c
ppm 799
Temp in water 20c
PH tested at 6.3 and just brought it down with PH down to 5.8

New to dwc and have a sick plant help
New to dwc and have a sick plant help 2
New to dwc and have a sick plant help 3
New to dwc and have a sick plant help 4
New to dwc and have a sick plant help 5
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hey everyone, Kylesidious here.

I recently got back into growing and decide to go with a single bucket DWC. Yesterday I bought clone that was in soil when I picked it up. When I got home I already had my water made up for the bucket and I went ahead and knocked off the soil from the root system and then transplanted it into a 6in net pot with hydroton and into the bucket it went.

For my water I’m using distilled water at 0 PPM and I added the following..

Res size : 3 gallons + 2 cups of water
Cal mag : 4ml/g
Cyco platinum A/B : 5.5ml/g of each
B1 Boost : 3.8ml/g
Cyco Zyme : 3.8ml/g
Dr.Repair : 3.8ml/g

After this I checked the PPM and it was only at around 300, so I added equal parts of more Cyco Grow A/B (20ml of each) and was able to get the PPM to about 700 and my PH was at 5.7.

Since transplanting I’ve seen the plant droop it’s leaves and they were curling under, that seems to have gotten better but now I’m seeing some discoloration in the leaves almost like a deficiency or burn. I’m adding pics for you to be able to look at.
I’m using a Spider Farmer SF1000 at full wattage and I don’t have any wind hitting the plant directly, just above the canopy.

Here are my current stats

humidity 38%
temp in tent 25c
ppm 799
Temp in water 20c
PH tested at 6.3 and just brought it down with PH down to 5.8
How far are the lights?

When did you transplant?

Pics of the roots?

What were the plants started in?

How much is the pH changing in 24hrs? I'm going to assume a fair amount using RO. You need to add some alkalinity back. I can help with that once we get some other stuff sorted.

Ppm of about 400ish should be plenty at that size.

Humidity is low and with high light your putting a lot of demand on the root system.

If the roots have not hit the water yet you need to be top feed a cup or 2 or res water a day until they do.

Make sure the waterline is 1" below the netpot so the bubbles breaking the surface splash the bottom.

Kylesidious

Kylesidious

How far are the lights?

When did you transplant?

Pics of the roots?

What were the plants started in?

How much is the pH changing in 24hrs? I'm going to assume a fair amount using RO. You need to add some alkalinity back. I can help with that once we get some other stuff sorted.

Ppm of about 400ish should be plenty at that size.

Humidity is low and with high light your putting a lot of demand on the root system.

If the roots have not hit the water yet you need to be top feed a cup or 2 or res water a day until they do.

Make sure the waterline is 1" below the netpot so the bubbles breaking the surface splash the bottom.

the lights are about 12 inches from the canopy.

I transplanted yesterday.

Plant was started in soil as mentioned in original post. Then when I got it home I knocked the dirt off the root system and transplanted.

currently the roots aren’t reaching the water directly yet. The longest root is poking from the bottom of the net pot but the rest of the roots haven’t made it out of the pot yet. The water line is an inch from the bottom of the net pot and definitely keeping the lower part of the net pot wet.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok they are in shock roots developed in soil need to adapt plus the transplant damage. Turn the light down to an absolute min or raise it up as high as you can. Get the humidity up to about 70-80 if ya can and top feed once a day.

Not a good way to do a start in hydro but live and learn.

May pull through but may not.

Kylesidious

Kylesidious

Ok they are in shock roots developed in soil need to adapt plus the transplant damage. Turn the light down to an absolute min or raise it up as high as you can. Get the humidity up to about 70-80 if ya can and top feed once a day.

Not a good way to do a start in hydro but live and learn.

May pull through but may not.

how can I raise the humidity? Also - Why would I want to turn the light down?

Anthem

Anthem

[/QUOTE
Turning the light down or raising it up gives the plant less light. This is because the plant is injured. With less light the plant can focus more on repair than growing. You can raise the humidity by leaving a pan of water in the tent or grow room, the more the more it will raise the humidity. This is also done to help the plant repair itself as quickly as possible. Also take a look at VPD you might want to consider running with VPD well into flower. But YMMV.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You have a plant thats in shock and not doing well and your driving it to work hard with light. Its like having a big knock in the engine and putting the gas to the floor.... it won't end well.

ALWAYS back the light off at the first sign of issue until the plants recover. It will reduce further damage until corrected.

Himidifier if you have. Raising the humidity will greatly reduce the demand on the root system giving it time to recover.

Kylesidious

Kylesidious

You have a plant thats in shock and not doing well and your driving it to work hard with light. Its like having a big knock in the engine and putting the gas to the floor.... it won't end well.

ALWAYS back the light off at the first sign of issue until the plants recover. It will reduce further damage until corrected.

Himidifier if you have. Raising the humidity will greatly reduce the demand on the root system giving it time to recover.
Okay I’ll go grab a humidifier now from Walmart (if you think it will help) and I have already lowered the lights to minimum after you said something.

Kylesidious

Kylesidious

@Aqua Man Okay so last night I did get the humidifier and when I woke up this morning the leaves looked a little worse so I checked the PH and somehow it got up to 6.7 and the PPM was at 790. Since I’ve been having issues with this water, and I also noticed there was some soil in the water from when I transplanted, I decided to go ahead and do a water change. This time I used 3 gallons and I started with 0 PPM water. I put the following I to the water;

Calmag 4ml/g
Cyco grow A/B 5.5ml/g of each
B1 Boost 3.8ml/g
Cyco Zyme 3.8ml/g
Dr.Repair 3.8ml/g

After adding the nutes the water is at 410 PPM, and 5.6-5.7 PH. The water temp is 17c-18c. Room temp is 21.8c. Humidity is currently 45% because I’ve got the grow tent open.
The pic is of the plant right now immediately after the water change. I took off the most sick looking leaf. I also too fed it 2 cups of water from the reservoir after the water change.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Gonna link you a few threads then feel free to ask about them. Lots to explain so easier to link and answer specific questions.

Alkalinity and you ph drift here. Your using RO so it needs a buffer. Possibly as simple as PH up.

Water changes here.

Root rot here. Also should be using a beneficial bacteria or sterile system.

VPD here. Good to understand how temp and humidity affects nutrient uptake.

Kylesidious

Kylesidious

Gonna link you a few threads then feel free to ask about them. Lots to explain so easier to link and answer specific questions.

Alkalinity and you ph drift here. Your using RO so it needs a buffer. Possibly as simple as PH up.

Water changes here.

Root rot here. Also should be using a beneficial bacteria or sterile system.

VPD here. Good to understand how temp and humidity affects nutrient uptake.

Regarding PH. I agree with having the buffer. So if I do this, do I just want to add a good amount of PH Up and then just readjust the PH back down with PH down?

regarding top ups - I suck at math. Can you help explain the formula?I don’t have a separate reservoir, I use a 5 gallon bucket for my plant and use 3 gallons of water when filling it. I have a second bucket that I use to mix the next 3 gallons of water and nutrients for my water change, but I don’t know how to properly top up the water if I just wanted to top it up.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Regarding PH. I agree with having the buffer. So if I do this, do I just want to add a good amount of PH Up and then just readjust the PH back down with PH down?

regarding top ups - I suck at math. Can you help explain the formula?I don’t have a separate reservoir, I use a 5 gallon bucket for my plant and use 3 gallons of water when filling it. I have a second bucket that I use to mix the next 3 gallons of water and nutrients for my water change, but I don’t know how to properly top up the water if I just wanted to top it up.
Which ph up do you have? Yes you add the ph up then nutrients and then ph it down after.

For top ups.

(Total volume of water) divided by (top up volume) multiplied by (ppm difference after last top up) plus (target ppm)

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok start low and take RO water add 1 ml of ph to a gal at a time. Bring it up to about 75ppm with ph up. Then add 125ppm of cal mag. Then add nutrients and PH down last.

After that take the PH after an hour and then compare it again 24 hrs later.

I haven't used it as a buffer before so we will have to adjust on the fly depending on the drift you get from that.

Kylesidious

Kylesidious

Okay so, everything was looking great and then I did my res water change for week 2 and now my plant looks sick again. The leaves seem to be canoeing and bending down. Water is currently at 530 PPM and 6.6 PH. When I went to check the water I also noticed there is a white foam in the bucket which is pictured below.
HELPPPP

Kylesidious

Kylesidious

This is what my nute solutions consisted of for this new water.
PH Up : 1ml/G
Calmag : 4ml/G
Cyco Grow A/B : 5.5ml/G
Cyco Zyme : 3.8ml/G
Cyco B1 Boost : 3.8ml/G
Dr.Repair : 3.8ml/G
PH Down : to 6.1 PH
Added an extra 5.5ml of grow A/B to bring PPM to 550.

Top Bottom