New To Ebb And Flo, Need Help

• Thread starter Shakenbabies
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Shakenbabies

Shakenbabies

Hey farmers, I've been a coco top feeder for three years now and I recently started a 3x3 flood and drain tray. My first run was great! I used hydroton and rockwool in 6x6 containers, packed in 30 God Buds. Flooded twice a day under 1000w hid. Turned out great.
My only complaint would be cleaning out all that hydroton. My thoughts were on this next run to use a medium a little less labor intensive when it comes to prep work.
Any suggestions?

Mmjcaveman

Mmjcaveman

Hyrdoton will always be a task to clean after each cycle which is why I originally switched from cubes in hydroton to transplanting the cubes into HP pro mix after roots are visible at the bottom of the cube, then toss the HP and your good to go as long as you can supply the cubes and more ho pro mix for next round, which is the only downside. I see it this way; spend hours cleaning that hydroton and pH flushing it or just spend a little on HP promix n perlite which are very very cost effective. Hope that helped

Mmjcaveman

Mmjcaveman

Btw you will get by using much less nutrients doing a drip system and or top feeding by hand, and not only that contaminants from one plant can move to many in very little time with ebb and flow

Shakenbabies

Shakenbabies

Thanks for the advice. I eventually said f it to the hydroton and I'm on my 3rd just 6x6 rw cubes using GH. I flood twice a day keeping the nutrient level about 2 1/2 inches up the cubes. I keep my ppm around 900 (on the .5 conversion) So far so good, here's some Silver Mountain from Bohdi, day 50.
I would like to move to a drip system but I just don't have the cash to revamp. I know it's pretty cheap since I already have the pumps but this is working well for me :)

IMG 2043
IMG 2026
Mmjcaveman

Mmjcaveman

I completely understand your standpoint. If you do swap out each setup would run you around $50 for a 4x8 maybe less. Happy growing man, very nice sensimia

Shakenbabies

Shakenbabies

That's very kind of you to say, thanks.
I figured it would be pretty cheap. I've watched a few videos on other people's setups. But if it's one thing I've learned it's that no ones set up is gonna be a perfect fit, there will always be growing pains when switching setups.
Thanks for the advice!

Latest posts

Top Bottom