New To Growing In Raised Beds. How Much Water?

• Thread starter SNAX
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SNAX

SNAX

So Im experienced with growing in pots and when and how much to water but I am new to growing in raised beds and am wondering if anyone has any tips or good rules of thumb on when and potentially how much (I know this will vary) to water. I am now growing at a farm that uses raised beds both in a greenhouse and outdoors. Thanks!

Golden Zia

Golden Zia

Several basic considerations:
Transplant size.
Bed size.
Environmental conditions.
Specific plant performance.

Use the logic you already have from growing in pots and expand it.

The smart ass in me wanted to say: just lift one end of the bed and water if it's not heavy :)

tj Wise

tj Wise

You have to be able to "read" each strain for how thirsty... you need to remember how long it might be until you can water again... And how much water depends on plant size, temperature, humidity, sunlight hours, cloud cover, pumice/perlite/bark/etc in the soil, mulch.... Plus, they will need a lot more water in August than they did in June....

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

I was having a hard time with this as well because my beds were not using much water at all compared to pots. I bought a water meter for like 10 bucks and that helps give me a rough idea on the moisture level. Then I look at the plant size and the upcoming weather as well. It seems like quick waterings where I just get the surface barely wet helps keep the top feeder roots happy and doesn't create over watered parts in the bottom and create root rot

below frigid

below frigid

You would think after all these years I would have a handle on watering. In the big pots 200's and 300's it's hard to over water in the summer heat and low humidity. Right now I am still in 2 gallons and I just dowsed them a few days ago and my temps took a dive that night ( mid 30's ) for 3 nights now and days below 70. Plants are not happy with me. I need to get me a moisture meter. Probably got some root rot. Going to get hot this weekend (mid 90's) poor plants are really going to freak. LOL. At least they will dry out.

Top Bottom