New to Hydro & Site

• Thread starter Tightnugs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tightnugs

Tightnugs

I am new to this site and to Hydro and wanted to know if anyone had any feeding tips for the ebb and grow set up on the flood and drain im in week 2 of flower and heard that I didn't need to flood at night that didn't sound right to me any tips please please please

Elanor

Elanor

i'm new too so cant help sorry. look forward to hearing response from peeps in the know :)

ttystikk

ttystikk

Flood at the end of the day cycle, and right at the beginning of the next day. If you can't stand the idea of plants getting dry overnight, water once in the middle of the dark cycle, it probably won't hurt anything- but it won't help either; plants only need water and nutes when they have light to grow with.

You didn't say what your growing media consists of; this makes a huge difference in how often you want to water. The info is here; it's just time to sit back, light a jay, and read, read, read...

MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

I always had one flood in the dark cycle... I would flood 4 times when the lights were on and 1 time when they were off... Always worked for me... I found that if I didn't flood at night the plants were a little dry for the first feeding of the lights on cycle and that they looked better during the day if I flooded once at night... It depends on your plant size too... The bigger they are the more they will drink...

Tightnugs

Tightnugs

Great thanks so much, ya im using hydroton,this is good stuff thanks for the help,also do you think instead of dumping the hydro nuts could i use them on soil plants in the same cycle as the hydro as long as I top of the old res water with enough fresh nutes to bring back to the right ppm I should be good right>?

waayne

waayne

Tightnugs when I used Hydroton in 6"x6" x8" containers I always ran a flood cycle in the middle of their nite cycle so the root system didn't dry out too much

MonsterRobot is right on point about them potentially getting too dry before their first daytime flood cycle.
you can check their moisture content when the lights first come on to determine if they are getting too dry during their nite cycle

The frequency and duration of your flood cycles will be governed by your plants genetics and size along with day and nitetime temperature, humidity,
light intensity,Co2 levels,etc.........

I have had to run as many as 6 flood cycles per day and 2 flood cycles per nite with large plants..........

Personally I would use that old hydro nutrient on some outdoor plants like flowers,or trees and mix a fresh batch for the indoor plants in soil.

Your depleted hydro nutrient solution will more than likely be out of balance from the plants taking up varying amounts of nutrients at different times in their life cycle.

MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

I have (and do from time to time) used the nutes from my recirculating res to feed soilless plants before... They actually love it! I just make sure to check the PPM and make sure it isn't too high (with GH the Recirculating formula is about 2x stronger than the Drain to Waste) and adjust your PH so that it is around 6.3-6.5 instead of the lower PH you would use in Hydro...

PEPE LaPUE

PEPE LaPUE

I have (and do from time to time) used the nutes from my recirculating res to feed soilless plants before... They actually love it! I just make sure to check the PPM and make sure it isn't too high (with GH the Recirculating formula is about 2x stronger than the Drain to Waste) and adjust your PH so that it is around 6.3-6.5 instead of the lower PH you would use in Hydro...
whats the ph suposse to b at for hydroton in a dwc set up? whats the range ? thanxs in advance...

MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

PH can go anywhere from 5.5-6.5 in hydro... I adjust it depending on how my girls are eating and drinking that week... For example, if my ph starts at 5.8 (and I am aiming to keep it around that range) and over the course of the day it drifts up to 6.3 then I will drop it a bit lower than 5.8 next time so that it drifts to around the 5.8 range... You can really keep it anywhere in that range tho so don't go adjusting too much... Different nutrients are more available at different ph ranges and you can adjust the PH to help with certain nute defs...

Top Bottom