New To Weed, New To Growing

• Thread starter franky.h
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
Honestly I recommend you to NOT make a DIY carbon FILTER.
Not saying it won't work. You would be better off just buying one online. You can get discreet shipping. It will come in a brown box. Match a fan to the CFM rating to the filter.
I think it would be hard to match the cfm on the fan to the DIY filter. You would essentially be guessing and hoping it works.
Being a first time grower, you will have paranoid times, you will hear shit, peak out your windows.
Having a carbon filter you know is properly sized will give you a better piece of mind.
All the paranoia thoughts will go away. Just don't tell anyone and you won't get caught. Make sure your smells do not linger anywhere.
In my garage I have a fully built room. You can't smell a thing at all. I do not worry one bit.
I wish you the best of luck.
What this guy said^^^^^
Welcome to the farm.
Peace

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Depending on what your growing, they can smell right out of the gate, I remember my first ever grow was a white widow, my buddy shows up at my house and opens the door and says whoa!! You got some weed man?

Be careful with the light mods, they get really really hot. If you don't know what your doing you could start a fire really easy, and then it's not just small time.

Be careful!

franky.h

franky.h

Can anyone give me any info on ordering grow supplies out of CO?

franky.h

franky.h

Alright I have another questions for you gentlemen. Like I said before I am looking at a fan with a built in speed controller on Medium it will push about 250 cfm and then I will have the drag of any ducting and my carbon filter. Right now I am looking 3-4 plants. Will this be enough to keep the room cool and my plants breathing healthy air? My utility room is usually a few degrees warmer than my house so around 75 give or take 5 degrees.

So run down of current plans are:
3-4 plants
40"x72"x78" This may change by up to 6 inches smaller in each direction.
250 cfm fan
400w MH with the possible addition of up to 250w hps or a few CFLs

I have looked into using a cool tube on the MH and getting cooled by 2 or 3 60-90cfm computer fans. I am pretty much out of cash for this project so I am looking at cheap options only right now.

franky.h

franky.h

What's up guys. I thought I would throw up a little update. I tried to get 4 seeds to go, 2 from seedsman and 2 from sos. The 2 from sos both took but one from seedsman just rotted in the bag. So that left me with 3 to grow and they went into 5 gallon buckets with an organic mix. I topped each once and then did LST with some wires until about 3 weeks of flower. At about week 5 when they looked nice and bushy and even, I flipped to 12/12. I also took a clone from each, unfortunately I did not document what clone came from what plant. at week 6 I added the 150 MH and I also used the LEDs and CFLs for supplemental. At week 7-8 I realized my one plant from seedsman was a male... balls everywhere. I moved it out and stuck an LED on it continuing 12. I decided I to harvest the pollen. 4 days later it was dropping pollen, close call. At around week 10 or 11 I moved the girls out of the grow room and used an artist paint brush and brushed a few lower flowers with pollen. So I have some hybrid iced grapefruit X tropical berry seeds on the way hopefully. Oh yeah back to the clones I stuck some rooting hormone on them and stuck them in some cups with drainage and some damp peat moss. I put them in a bucket with a single cfl with the lid closed and vented once a day. All 3 took. Then I had the problem of one being a male and have no idea whitch one so I potted up the clones and stuck them back in the flower room. Once the male was found he was destroyed and the other 2 went back to the bucket with 24/o cfl. One girl continues to flower is there anything else I can do to force it to re-veg? I want to keep it around as a mother. The 2 original plants are looking pretty good to my eye. starting to get sticky and they really do smell citrusy. Polination appears to have worked. Looking at my plants though there are a few random seed pods so I think there may have been just a touch of pollen before I got the male out or it drifted back in the grow room. I only had it about 10ft away but down wind. I have used just a bit of organic fert a couple times but I think I am just going to use a worm casting tea from here on out. I am guessing I have 3-5 more weeks to go. When should I go to just water or does it not matter with that? Also some of my lower leaves are turning yellow. I am not sure if I watered to often a couple times or if it is an N deffeciency. Any thoughts? I am trying to be pretty conservative at this point.

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
What's up guys. I thought I would throw up a little update. I tried to get 4 seeds to go, 2 from seedsman and 2 from sos. The 2 from sos both took but one from seedsman just rotted in the bag. So that left me with 3 to grow and they went into 5 gallon buckets with an organic mix. I topped each once and then did LST with some wires until about 3 weeks of flower. At about week 5 when they looked nice and bushy and even, I flipped to 12/12. I also took a clone from each, unfortunately I did not document what clone came from what plant. at week 6 I added the 150 MH and I also used the LEDs and CFLs for supplemental. At week 7-8 I realized my one plant from seedsman was a male... balls everywhere. I moved it out and stuck an LED on it continuing 12. I decided I to harvest the pollen. 4 days later it was dropping pollen, close call. At around week 10 or 11 I moved the girls out of the grow room and used an artist paint brush and brushed a few lower flowers with pollen. So I have some hybrid iced grapefruit X tropical berry seeds on the way hopefully. Oh yeah back to the clones I stuck some rooting hormone on them and stuck them in some cups with drainage and some damp peat moss. I put them in a bucket with a single cfl with the lid closed and vented once a day. All 3 took. Then I had the problem of one being a male and have no idea whitch one so I potted up the clones and stuck them back in the flower room. Once the male was found he was destroyed and the other 2 went back to the bucket with 24/o cfl. One girl continues to flower is there anything else I can do to force it to re-veg? I want to keep it around as a mother. The 2 original plants are looking pretty good to my eye. starting to get sticky and they really do smell citrusy. Polination appears to have worked. Looking at my plants though there are a few random seed pods so I think there may have been just a touch of pollen before I got the male out or it drifted back in the grow room. I only had it about 10ft away but down wind. I have used just a bit of organic fert a couple times but I think I am just going to use a worm casting tea from here on out. I am guessing I have 3-5 more weeks to go. When should I go to just water or does it not matter with that? Also some of my lower leaves are turning yellow. I am not sure if I watered to often a couple times or if it is an N deffeciency. Any thoughts? I am trying to be pretty conservative at this point.
Pictures.

franky.h

franky.h

Sorry guys no pictures. I am just not fimiliar enough with exif data to feel comfortable posting. I think I am getting close now. Things are getting heavy and the flowers are starting to fall over. They are very sticky. I have been lightly coiling wire around them to keep them upright. Some of the pistils are turning orange. None of the trichomes are changing yet. I don't know that I will be able to distinguish between clear and cloudy though. I will harvest when I start seeing a hint of color in the trichomes. Will that work?

QoQ

QoQ

Hello welcome to the farm.

If this is your first grow I advise a 250w HPS as previously I've had troubles with a 600w & 400. The heat produced from them would kill out the plants within a couple days.

You want a constant stable everything that will create you a decent fair plant.

Be patient and take time learning stuff, there's never too much to read or learn.

Don't worry too much about nutrients and feeds, rain water is high in nutes.

You can buy whole starter kits for under 250$

Thanks!

franky.h

franky.h

Hello welcome to the farm.

If this is your first grow I advise a 250w HPS as previously I've had troubles with a 600w & 400. The heat produced from them would kill out the plants within a couple days.

You want a constant stable everything that will create you a decent fair plant.

Be patient and take time learning stuff, there's never too much to read or learn.

Don't worry too much about nutrients and feeds, rain water is high in nutes.

You can buy whole starter kits for under 250$

Thanks!

No worries. The 400w is doing a good reliable job. I built a cool tube out of a 5.75" vace I found at a hobby store. My room is definitely on the warm side around 89 or so but the plants seem happy. I think the main problem is that 150w in there. It has no cool tube and the ballast and bulb are all one unit.

A few more pistils have turned orange but nothing new to report on the trichomes.

franky.h

franky.h

Thanks Shaun!

Another quick update. I have continued watering with worm casting tea. I think I will stop now and do straight water. I am nearing week 9 of 12/12. I thought I would be done by now. Pistils were ambering but the plants have thrown up a host of new white pistils. Trichomes are still in the clear to cloudy stage. Does this happen often?

Top Bottom