New with questions

• Thread starter JJJones215
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JJJones215

JJJones215

Hey guys new here and I have a question. Probably dumb but Iā€™d rather ask then find out the hard way so Iā€™m running a solistek a1 light and the bulb I have for it gives off a yellow color and Iā€™m wondering if I can use this bulb at 600w to veg my plants . Iā€™ve heard that for veg itā€™s better to have a light with more of a white / blue color to it and I donā€™t want to hurt the plants or send them into flour early Iā€™m under a 24 hour light cycle at the moment using mills full line Thanks in advance

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

They will grow fine but keep the young plants like 4 feet away at first. 600 watt hps is very intense and ventilation is very important. 600 watts is hot.

They will just grow stretchier and taller under hps whih has a strong red spectrum. With metal halide or another lamp woth more blue in the spectrum they grow leafier and stockier. Shorter.

JJJones215

JJJones215

They will grow fine but keep the young plants like 4 feet away at first. 600 watt hps is very intense and ventilation is very important. 600 watts is hot.

They will just grow stretchier and taller under hps whih has a strong red spectrum. With metal halide or another lamp woth more blue in the spectrum they grow leafier and stockier. Shorter.
Thank you very much appreciated

thank you! much appreciated!

m8ty

m8ty

How old are the plants) ...how many plants?

600 watt light is for flowering, are you planning on throwing 600 Watts of light at the floor with a few tiny plants?

JJJones215

JJJones215

Sorry Iā€™ve been busy at work and forgot to check back with you guys . So there are five of them and they are in week two of growth phase and Iā€™m running a 24 hour light cycle. The light is about 4 feet above them and my temps very between 70-88 degrees with humidity at around 40-50%. Right now Iā€™ve got them on a light feed Iā€™m using the full mills nutrient line and adding cal mag to that.

JJJones215

JJJones215

They seem to be liking the 600 watt a lot but Iā€™m seeing slight yellowing and curling of the leafs and Iā€™m wondering if Iā€™m under feeding or over feeding and what I need to do to correct it. Or if itā€™s something else completely

JJJones215

JJJones215

As you can see the plant on the left is happier than the one on the right and theyā€™ve been given the same food and light and live under the same conditions. Iā€™m just wonder what I can do to help them out

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
To be honest they look a little overwatered. And that humidity is a little low for veg. With low humidity they will transpire more so you have to be really careful with feeding young plants. What have you fed them? Are you adjusting the solution with ppm and ph meters? What are the numbers?

See if you can increase the humidity any, sometimes you just need to reduce the temperature by turning the lights down a bit if possible. Let them get good and dry before watering next and skip the food on the next feeding, just give them straight water.

JJJones215

JJJones215

Iā€™m phā€™ing the feed to 5.8-6.0 and Iā€™m using mills full line . have a humidifier but itā€™s not working very well atm. I need to buy a new one I donā€™t have a Ppm meter at the moment but I do have one on the way via amazon so Iā€™ve been doing a light feed to try and not over feed them. I feed once a day Iā€™ve heard hanging a wet towel in the room would help raise humidity I might give that a try. And I feed nutes 6 days a week and water on the 7th Iā€™ve used a bat guano ā€œteaā€ before with good results for the 7th day flush but I just moved to Oklahoma from Oregon /Washington so trying to find everything I was using back home here locally has be difficult as the nursery around here only carry select stuff.

JJJones215

JJJones215

To be honest they look a little overwatered. And that humidity is a little low for veg. With low humidity they will transpire more so you have to be really careful with feeding young plants. What have you fed them? Are you adjusting the solution with ppm and ph meters? What are the numbers?

See if you can increase the humidity any, sometimes you just need to reduce the temperature by turning the lights down a bit if possible. Let them get good and dry before watering next and skip the food on the next feeding, just give them straight water.
I appreciate the knowledge and feedback!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Are they in coco? It looks more like promix.

If promix or peat based Id first stop with the daily watering. Water once every 4-5 days, or only when the pot feels very light. And while they are young feed only on every third watering. They dont need much when they're small and you've very likely overloaded the soil with food.

Since they are already watered daily you may as well rinse that that soil a bit with a good heavy watering of plain water with plenty of runoff before letting them dry out for a week or so, until they need more.

And I would feed closer to 6.5 when you do feed. 300ppm or so. Your soil may be a bit acidic with all the feedings.

Last edited:
JJJones215

JJJones215

Iā€™m using ocean Forrest potting soil from fox farms, so I should flush them out next time Iā€™d usually water/feed ( 18 hours from now) and then let them dry out for a few days or should I flush them now and let them dry for a few days?

Ina

Ina

Leave them dry much ,much more,water them less often from now on,lets say every 4,even5 days depending on how dry they are at that time in your conditions.Dont try to increase air humidity with more watering in the soil!If you flush them now or after 18 hours(too soon) you will drown them again.Water/dry cycle.They need air for the roots,some drying,a lot actually.First wait them to dry out almost completely.Than do what you have been suggested or whatever you decide but that is the main problem.They stay constantly wet.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I agree too often watering and those little plants need no additional nutes with ocean forest.

Also the light is likely too close.

I disagree with humidity. Around 50% has worked for me for years.

And above 80 is too hot.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I disagree with humidity. Around 50% has worked for me for years.

50% will work just fine in most cases if you are gentile with food, like you are. But in my experience plants noticably like it better closer to 70% in veg, I've seen this with my own grows, and it's very common in horticulture growing most other plants as well.
Low humidity if you are new o growing and heavy handed with feedings can be a total disaster. Esecialy if it's on the warm side.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

50% will work just fine in most cases if you are gentile with food, like you are. But in my experience plants noticably like it better closer to 70% in veg, I've seen this with my own grows, and it's very common in horticulture growing most other plants as well.
Low humidity if you are new o growing and heavy handed with feedings can be a total disaster. Esecialy if it's on the warm side.

I have only seen problems below 40% in my method. I have been balancing rooms to average 50% for years. I never have problems at 70% but fear mold and mildew here in michigan. Pm comes fast here.

They sell moldy weed like its normal out here. I run a lot of dehumidification.

Reactions: Ina

Latest posts

Top Bottom