New with questions

• Thread starter JJJones215
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Also a little tip I found helpful. I also veg under a warm colored light 3000k. If you keep your day night temps the same or close to, it helps keep the amount of stretching down. Not necessary if you are not seeing excessive stretching but helpful if you are

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I have only seen problems below 40% in my method. I have been balancing rooms to average 50% for years. I never have problems at 70% but fear mold and mildew here in michigan. Pm comes fast here.

They sell moldy weed like its normal out here. I run a lot of dehumidification.

I would generally agree, most growers wont see problems until they get below 40% RH, assuming everything else is dialed in.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Also a little tip I found helpful. I also veg under a warm colored light 3000k. If you keep your day night temps the same or close to, it helps keep the amount of stretching down. Not necessary if you are not seeing excessive stretching but helpful if you are

This is a great trick. I used it in stretch years ago when I only used HPS for veg. I found the best results actually came from slight inversion, running temps a couple degrees warmer in the dark cycle.

Team914

Team914

looking at the curl on the leaf i would say it is to hot in your tent or to much water jumping up you humidity i would let them dry out some
Happy growing!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

This is a great trick. I used it in stretch years ago when I only used HPS for veg. I found the best results actually came from slight inversion, running temps a couple degrees warmer in the dark cycle.
Yeah a negative diff can really help keep the stretch to a minimum

JJJones215

JJJones215

So I went back to my 4 foot t5 light which helped my temps stay at about 75-80 degrees and humidity is Bouncing between 60-70% and is stable there now andI haven’t watered anymore and they have not yellowed or curled anymore and they’ve perked up a bit so I’m thinking I’m on the right track! I grabbed some sodium bicarbonate just Incase of pm too!. Thanks for all the input I really appreciate it! I know it’s probably not smart to switch between the lights like that but the 600 watt was to warm to keep stable temps with my current equipment. So until I get a mini split for the 120x120x96 tent I bought I’m gonna run this setup.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
So I went back to my 4 foot t5 light which helped my temps stay at about 75-80 degrees and humidity is Bouncing between 60-70% and is stable there now andI haven’t watered anymore and they have not yellowed or curled anymore and they’ve perked up a bit so I’m thinking I’m on the right track! I grabbed some sodium bicarbonate just Incase of pm too!. Thanks for all the input I really appreciate it! I know it’s probably not smart to switch between the lights like that but the 600 watt was to warm to keep stable temps with my current equipment. So until I get a mini split for the 120x120x96 tent I bought I’m gonna run this setup.

Good call. How many bulbs is the T5 setup? Light is important but environmental conditions are just as much if not more important. Your VPD should be spot on now.
For PM I've found sulphur spray to be the best at preventing it in veg. Well, I consider sulphur vapour the best but wettable powder spray second best.

JJJones215

JJJones215

Good call. How many bulbs is the T5 setup? Light is important but environmental conditions are just as much if not more important. Your VPD should be spot on now.
For PM I've found sulphur spray to be the best at preventing it in veg. Well, I consider sulphur vapour the best but wettable powder spray second best.
[QUOTE="Dirtbag, post: 2269563, I have a 4 foot 4 bulb t5 light all the bulbs are new also. I used a “fogger” or fog machine when working with my cousins in their gross but I’ll be spraying them with a powder spray until funds are available to buy some better equipment

Team914

Team914

Be very carefully with the fog not a bad idea but it can jump you humidity up higher than it needs to be make sure your able to check your humidity leave in your tent to much humidity is harmful to the plants as it can cause mold or fungus on the leaves

Happy growing!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Be very carefully with the fog not a bad idea but it can jump you humidity up higher than it needs to be make sure your able to check your humidity leave in your tent to much humidity is harmful to the plants as it can cause mold or fungus on the leaves

Happy growing!

Depends what he means by fog. If hes talking about a sulphur burner that doesnt affect humidity any longer than the burner is running, and the benefit of sulphur negates the risks from the humidity.

If he meant an atomizer, yeah that'll raise humidity. But they're awesome for getting the "cides" into every nook and cranny.

JJJones215

JJJones215

I’m talking about an atomizer, I do have a silver burner but we only used that after we cut down and we’re cleaning the rooms. I don’t ever remember running it with plants in the room. But the plants are doing better so far! Thanks for the input everyone

m8ty

m8ty

600 watt light six feet up in the air gives you 100 Watts of light at the floor which is more than the tiny plants need at this point. So if you have it 4 feet up then they are getting 200 Watts, and btw too much light will show up as a Mag. Deficient (purple stems and yellowing leafs that fold downward trying to hide from the light.

Another thing is the over watering, and over feeding, I'm wondering why you decided to water and feed every day and water with out nutes on the 7th day. As mentioned before if you are in the right size pot you only need to water w/o nutes once per week by then the pot should be nice and light when you lift it to feel how heavy it is.

And feeding nutes is only required once the plant has filled the pot with roots so the plant can eat all the plant food in that O.F. soil which typically last two months when vegging small plants and repotting as needed into new soil.

So now just stop over watering, stop over feeding and stop giving them too much light. 😂

JJJones215

JJJones215

600 watt light six feet up in the air gives you 100 Watts of light at the floor which is more than the tiny plants need at this point. So if you have it 4 feet up then they are getting 200 Watts, and btw too much light will show up as a Mag. Deficient (purple stems and yellowing leafs that fold downward trying to hide from the light.

Another thing is the over watering, and over feeding, I'm wondering why you decided to water and feed every day and water with out nutes on the 7th day. As mentioned before if you are in the right size pot you only need to water w/o nutes once per week by then the pot should be nice and light when you lift it to feel how heavy it is.

And feeding nutes is only required once the plant has filled the pot with roots so the plant can eat all the plant food in that O.F. soil which typically last two months when vegging small plants and repotting as needed into new soil.

So now just stop over watering, stop over feeding and stop giving them too much light. 😂
Your a little late to the party, it’s day 3 of no water or food , lights have been swapped out and they are living life with temps at 75-80 and humidity at 50-60% thanks tho 😂😂

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Do not run your plants 24/7 You are overstressing them unnessasaraley for no gain and a bigger light bill, plants like people need a period of darkness, do you walk around 24/7 and never sleep? Run them 18 on 6 off max, if I understand your question you want to know what light to run your plants in veg, you can run cold blue (mh) or full spec (led) these lights are mostly blue and white incandescent (You can't see that spectrum) and to bloom you want red, the light spectrum goes from cold blue thru full spec and on to red at the other end, you want your plants leaves pointing up to the light not shying away from it I run 600w led and it's a min of 2 feet, do not let your temp go over 80f max keep your dew point between 40 and 50% max, and do not unnessasaraley sress your plants put them on an 18/6 light cycle max.

JJJones215

JJJones215

Do not run your plants 24/7 You are overstressing them unnessasaraley for no gain and a bigger light bill, plants like people need a period of darkness, do you walk around 24/7 and never sleep? Run them 18 on 6 off max, if I understand your question you want to know what light to run your plants in veg, you can run cold blue (mh) or full spec (led) these lights are mostly blue and white incandescent (You can't see that spectrum) and to bloom you want red, the light spectrum goes from cold blue thru full spec and on to red at the other end, you want your plants leaves pointing up to the light not shying away from it I run 600w led and it's a min of 2 feet, do not let your temp go over 80f max keep your dew point between 40 and 50% max, and do not unnessasaraley sress your plants put them on an 18/6 light cycle max.
I’ve had no issues with running lights 24 hours and the grows I’ve been apart of have ran there lights 24 hours

JJJones215

JJJones215

I’ve had no issues with running lights 24 hours and the grows I’ve been apart of have ran there lights 24 hours
That plants look happy with The cycle they’re on right now so unless that changes I’m gonna continue with that. If you look at the replies I’ve gotten ,These guys have given me some good advice and it’s working well so I’m gonna stick with that until I see the need to change it up thanks for the imput

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm an 18/6 guy myself I will just give you my reasons. 24/7 works.

Plants perform different processes during day and night cycles. One if which is at night the plants release food for soil microbes from the roots. These microbes help break down nutrients and produce enzymes that are beneficial to the plant and help provide protection from disease as well as make nutrients available to the plants. If you are using synthetic nutrients the availability portion is not as significant to say organic since synthetic nutrients are immediately available to the plants. So the dark period indirectly is beneficial to plant health and nutrient availability. This does not mean you will have unhealthy plants if you don't have a dark period.

Also in high light setups plants may go into photorespiration in which growth is significantly reduced during this period. So I feel if this is happening and the extra growth provided by the extra 6 hrs of light has been significantly diminished why not take advantage of the benefits of a dark period.

Just my opinion.

JJJones215

JJJones215

Plants perform different processes during day and night cycles. One if which is at night the plants release food for soil microbes from the roots. These microbes help break down nutrients and produce enzymes that are beneficial to the plant and help provide protection from disease as well as make nutrients available to the plants. If you are using synthetic nutrients the availability portion is not as significant to say organic since synthetic nutrients are immediately available to the plants. So the dark period indirectly is beneficial to plant health and nutrient availability. This does not mean you will have unhealthy plants if you don't have a dark period.

Also in high light setups plants may go into photorespiration in which growth is significantly reduced during this period. So I feel if this is happening and the extra growth provided by the extra 6 hrs of light has been significantly diminished why not take advantage of the benefits of a dark period.

Just my opinion.

Just my opinion.
You sound like you know what your talking about my work schedule is kinda crazy so the 24 hour cycle has worked for me but I’ll give 18/6 a try and we’ll see if it makes a difference. I’d just hate to forget to turn it on off and mess with the cycle! Thanks for the info man it’s much appreciated

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You sound like you know what your talking about my work schedule is kinda crazy so the 24 hour cycle has worked for me but I’ll give 18/6 a try and we’ll see if it makes a difference. I’d just hate to forget to turn it on off and mess with the cycle! Thanks for the info man it’s much appreciated
I wouldn't just change it. Make changes slowly if you decide. Lots of people run 24 hr with great results. If your not running very high light it's not likely your will see any signs of photorespiration. Therefore you would see more growth with 24 hr light... If that is the case. I'm not saying you should change just something to consider.

JJJones215

JJJones215

I wouldn't just change it. Make changes slowly if you decide. Lots of people run 24 hr with great results. If your not running very high light it's not likely your will see any signs of photorespiration. Therefore you would see more growth with 24 hr light... If that is the case. I'm not saying you should change just something to consider.
Ahh okay yeah I changed out the solistek a1 for my 4 foot T5 to help keep temps and humidity stable at 75-80 degrees and 50-60% and it’s been working! Would I see any signs of photoresperation on the plants if it were happening other than slow growth? So far they have been really happy since I took the 600 watt out

Top Bottom