Newb Electrical Question

• Thread starter gooey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

gooey

Hey i just got a new rental...having trouble figuring out how many amps it is set up for...the main breaker panel has breakers which total over 200 amps...6 wires coming into the top of the main breaker...it also has an generator hooke up which will come on if power goes out...i know most say right on the breaker how many amps but i was unable to locate the number...house has a barn in back with a sub panel in it as well...im not sure what other info other than the pic of it which i can get in a bit...thanks for any help guys...peace n puffs

R

RMCG

What does the 'top' breaker say? That is your main and will tell you the service you have.

F

Farmer Jon

Premium Member
Supporter
What size wire feeds the panel (it should say on the wire)?
FJ

convex

convex

..the main breaker panel has fuses which total over 200 amps...

Attached to the fuse panel there should be a large disconnect - this is the main disconnect

Large cartridge like fuses found within, should have amperage marked on them - BE CAREFUL LIVE WIRES INSIDE.

G

gooey

thanks for the help guys...going back soon to look at top breaker an wire size...have not got the keys yet so i cant go right now...peace n puffs

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
If the BREAKERS (I hope you have BREAKERS and NOT FUSES) total over 200 amps then you have 200 amp service, or I guess MAYBE only 150, but I'd guess 200. It is normal to have total amps on breakers be more than the sum of the panel, the assumption is that you won't have every single thing in the house running at the same time at maximum load, if you do you will flip the main breaker.

Top Bottom