Newb Question On Watering Super Soil!

• Thread starter bankcee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bankcee

bankcee

So I've ran through several somewhat successful runs using a super soil mix, I do run into defs and aiming to fix that this run im on now. But my question is about watering ever run I've had so far I've always watered like every 2-3 days and with these girls I've transplanted 6 from indoors to outdoors in to 3 gallon smarties. and watered in about a half a gallon each of some beautiful smelling compost tea. bus blend ewc fish hydrolysate seaweed and molasses.

they drastically stretched the first week outside. but I think they're done stretching til flower and I've also topped them.

now since the 30th of June I haven't watered and the soil is some what moist and still kinda heavy. the top layer is crusted over but right below that it's still moist. no sign of wilt at all yet. should I let it dry out all the way and then start a 2-3 day watering cycle regardless if the top has crusted over. or if there is no wilt just let them go til they're thirsty or should it always remain moist for the purpose of the microbial life?

I've read let there be a good wet and dry cycle and also that living soil need moisture always. I'm just afraid of over watering.

FreeRadical

FreeRadical

Well hmm... Watering can be pretty daunting even for the most experienced of us. Plants seem to live on their own schedule regardless of what I want lol. I read a great article on Watering correctly I'll copy and paste it for ya. there's the first knuckle technique where you wait until you can stick your finger in to your first knuckle and feel no moisture. Also checking the weight if they are in pots helps. I always try to let my soil dry out as far as I can before I water again and that's for oxygen roots love the stuff and when your soil is most dry Watering seems to transfer more oxygen but I don't know how.

How To Water Your Marijuana Plants Properly
While watering marijuana plants may seem like one of the simplest parts of caring for them, it can, in fact, get rather complicated. New growers often run into issues and questions that they never expected to have. One of those questions is simply when to water your marijuana plants. The answer to this question ties into tendencies to overwater as well as underwater your plants, so pay close attention.

Choosing the right container
One step that is often neglected among new marijuana growers who are trying to figure out everything for the first time is
simply using the right kind of container for your marijuana plants. This may seem like it has nothing to do with watering your plants, but it is actually surprisingly important.

First of all, if your marijuana plants are in containers that are too big for them, the tendency to overwater them will be much greater. While this can be a risk for your plants, it can also be used as a tool to compensate for your natural tendencies. For instance, if you generally are not watering your plants often enough, you can move them into bigger containers because they should be fed less often when living in such containers.

The same goes for small containers — but opposite. Because smaller pots don’t hold water for as long, plants living in these little containers will need to be fed water more often. Therefore, if you tend to water your plants more often than you need to, it’s better to have them growing in a smaller pot because it will lower the risk of overwatering your plants.

Of course, under no circumstance should you keep your marijuana plants growing in pots that are too small for them. If you do that, it is likely that the roots will become root bound, which means they will grow around the edges of the pot until they have formed a wall of sorts. This wall will keep water in for too long (leading to root rot or fungi development), or won’t allow the proper amount in to begin with.

An equally important aspect to consider when choosing a container for your marijuana plants is the holes at the bottom and the water runoff that will go through them. When you water your plants, you should see between 10% and 20% of the water put in trickle down and out of the bottom of the container. This is how you will know if the holes are draining properly as well as if you have given your marijuana plants enough water.

This water being flushed out is good for several reasons. First of all, it takes any of the salt that has been building up out with it. If these salts and fertilizers sit in the soil for too long, they will start building up and lead to the imbalance of the pH levels as well as difficulty for your plants’ roots in accessing the nutrients that they need.

If the water takes a long time to make it out of the bottom of the container, you will know that there are some sort of issues. There is either a problem in the soil (which needs to be a quality soil that drains well to begin with), in the pot, or in the roots of the plant. You should be especially concerned if you don’t see any water flushing out the bottom of the container at all.

When to water
You should water your marijuana plants when the soil is dry. That sounds simple enough, but of course, there are always times when you will end up asking, “does this qualify as dry enough?” So instead of wondering, there is a good rule of thumb you can follow to be relatively certain that it is safe to water your plants now without giving them too much.

First of all, simply poke your finger into the soil your plants are growing in. Push the finger down just to the first knuckle (about an inch deep), and then see if it is dry the whole way. If it is, it is safe to water your plants now. If there is still some moisture within that first inch-thick layer, it is better to wait a bit longer before you water your marijuana plants again. Remember, it is much easier to overwater your plants than underwater them.

Keep track of when you watered your plants last because that will help alert you to whether there are any problems with the soil that you can’t see. For instance, if the soil remains damp or moist for longer than five days without drying out, then you can be relatively sure that there is some sort of draining issue.

If you would prefer a different way of checking whether your plants need to be watered, you can do it by weight instead. The key is simply not to water your plants until you lift the pot and feel that it is light. To get acquainted with how light it should be, you can fill a container of the same size up with dry soil for comparison.

Once the pot with the plant feels like it is nearly as light as the other pot, you can water it.

What to do with a drainage problem
If you have identified a drainage problem in your marijuana plant containers, then the time has come to take action to fix the problem. One way is to put in some perlite so the soil will be loosened and will allow for better drainage.

Another way is to use a smart pot instead of a regular one — these pots are made of fabric and help your roots access plenty of oxygen. Whatever you do, do not use bark or wood chips to loosen up the soil, as marijuana plants do not do well with these materials.

Identifying a watering problem
Sometimes the problem comes from you and your watering habits. If you have been under watering your plants, you will notice that they are wilting and starting to appear lifeless, their leaves limply hanging. Sometimes the plants will get to the point of looking and feeling crispy as if they are all dried up. If you don’t give them more water soon, the plant will certainly die. Luckily correcting this is simple — you just need to add more water or start watering more frequently.

Overwatered plants droop instead of wilt or their leaves begin to curl down. The leaves will remain firm rather than limp, and will slowly start to turn yellow in color.

Overwatering your plants is actually more about depriving the roots of getting enough oxygen.

Don’t water your plants for a while and then adjust your watering schedule to fix the problem.

Written by Robert Bergman, founder of ilovegrowinginvalid.com.
Robert has been growing cannabispassionately for over 20 years and shares this insight to educate growers avoid mistakes and to fully capitalize on a bud’s potential and get the most out of a marijuana plant.

Hope that helps.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

they drink more outside because of conditions ,wind ,heat and such,,growing in containers outside can be challenging,,keep in mind the conditions,here were im at triple digit for 3 months,,here is a tip that could benifit you,,your pots make sure they arent in direct sunlight,,i use home depot buckets they are orange,even orange that plastic get hot as hell and fry the roots along the side of bucket,so to account for this,i just put empty buckets around it,keeping my plant bucket cool and still gets wind,,on top of soil put a layer of mulch or cover crop,,this keeps soil from direct sunlight and sun goes were it belongs on the plant,,i have 1/2 in hole s all around bottom of my buckets too,,best way to water is the leaning method,take empty bucket same size as your,dry weight,lean it towards you,and get that feel, do the same as your plant,,keeps from over watering and you have the tester bucket to you get use to the method,,but outside they do drink more,,if you do all these i mention buckets wont get hot and give you false reading of went water,,on my inside grow i do the same and about every 3 days i have to water,outside every other day,,so hope this helps friend

bankcee

bankcee

you think because they haven't filled the pot with root yet is why they're not wilting yet from being under watered? they're barely establishing in their new homes so I'm assuming as the container is slowly frying the root just keep reaching and reaching. eventually they'll start to slightly wilt and at that point I'm sure they've hit the dry spot or the soil is fully dry and time for a watering. after that they should be on a consistent cycle if the roots have reached the bottom of the pots.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

you think because they haven't filled the pot with root yet is why they're not wilting yet from being under watered? they're barely establishing in their new homes so I'm assuming as the container is slowly frying the root just keep reaching and reaching. eventually they'll start to slightly wilt and at that point I'm sure they've hit the dry spot or the soil is fully dry and time for a watering. after that they should be on a consistent cycle if the roots have reached the bottom of the pots.
if you just transplanted them ,well ther you go just a little shock,,did you harden them off to the sunlight

bankcee

bankcee

if you just transplanted them ,well ther you go just a little shock,,did you harden them off to the sunlight

yeah put they didn't seem to get any shock. no signs of that either. they stretched crazy when I put them outside. they stretched like at least 4 to 6 inches over a couple days then they stopped and I topped like a week after they've been outside. and yeah I've just finally put them under full sun. they were hardened odd for about a week.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

yeah put they didn't seem to get any shock. no signs of that either. they stretched crazy when I put them outside. they stretched like at least 4 to 6 inches over a couple days then they stopped and I topped like a week after they've been outside. and yeah I've just finally put them under full sun. they were hardened odd for about a week.
cool friends sounds good,just put something to block sun on the pots itself and some mulch on top let it go,probally still stretching them legs,,give a week or so,,,hope you know that little bit of stretch wasnt what it going to do when i starts to flower,lmao gonna get more and outside you cant control light like you can inside to slow it,,it gonna take off and never look back,could have a damn tree out there in no time,,outdoors is so much better and natural,they blow up,,so if you under cover keep that in mind for security porpuses,just saying

bankcee

bankcee

cool friends sounds good,just put something to block sun on the pots itself and some mulch on top let it go,probally still stretching them legs,,give a week or so,,,hope you know that little bit of stretch wasnt what it going to do when i starts to flower,lmao gonna get more and outside you cant control light like you can inside to slow it,,it gonna take off and never look back,could have a damn tree out there in no time,,outdoors is so much better and natural,they blow up,,so if you under cover keep that in mind for security porpuses,just saying

I'm gonna supercrop them when they start their stretch in flower. I know I've had girl literally triple in height over the first 2-2-3 weeks of bloom.

I'm hoping I pull some quality shit off these.. we'll first hope they're all females lol

FreeRadical

FreeRadical

Gotta love it. I love supersoil. Though I have never had a great outdoor grow. Mostly because my garden lacks rain protection and we'll it sure rains allot where I live for some darn reason. Here's hoping you don't face what we face in our area. And yes I hope they are all girls too. Damn it could happen. I got 8 of 10 females with subcools qleaner here's hoping I didn't get hermies they are outside now.

Top Bottom