Newbie breeder

• Thread starter Palindrome
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Palindrome

Palindrome

Hi community,

Palindrome here. Intro: I'm a classically trained commercial plant breeder with decades of experience (hybrids) outside the Cannabis world. I started dabbling in Cannabis about two years ago after legalization took place in Canada. I have approx. 3yr growing experience with Cannabis now (in and out) and find the crop very intriguing. I'm hoping to learn from people's hands-on experience and perhaps share some knowledge based on genetics and practical plant breeding methods. Hi everyone! ....looking forward to making some virtual hobby-friends.

R

redshift75

I'm hoping to learn from people's hands-on experience and perhaps share some knowledge based on genetics and practical plant breeding methods.

Welcome to the farm. You may already be leaps and bounds over your peers. But lots of information is here and there and a little everywhere.

Palindrome

Palindrome

Welcome to the farm. You may already be leaps and bounds over your peers. But lots of information is here and there and a little everywhere.
thanks for the compliment and I'm sure I'll learn lots from the community here.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
thanks for the compliment and I'm sure I'll learn lots from the community here.
Do you have any book recommendations for breeding? I am currently loving Simmonds. The best cannabis specific book I have seen in this realm is Marijuana Botany by Clarke.

Palindrome

Palindrome

Do you have any book recommendations for breeding? I am currently loving Simmonds. The best cannabis specific book I have seen in this realm is Marijuana Botany by Clarke.
For a starter (background on plant breeding) I would go with Dr. Walter Fehr's two volume set on Principles of Plant Breeding. Fehr is a breeder/professor from Iowa State. Simmonds is OK. The really old text on Plant Breeding from Allard (UC, Davis) is still one of the best basic books but obviously both books I'm recommending won't delve much into DNA technology based breeding (Marker assisted selection (MAS), accelerating marker-assisted backcorossing, use of quatitative trait loci (QTLs), let alone the modern gene editing technologies...). That's OK - most hobby breeders won't be going that route (although the ability to do so is getting rapidly affordable in my opinion).

Top Bottom