Newbie could use some help

• Thread starter bowman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bowman

Newbie could use some help
Newbie could use some help 2
Hi everybody, me and my wife have been dabbling with growing a few plants here in the Northeast. The few that we have are animal tree, and member Berry. The plants you see are outdoors and a garden that has some of the best soil imaginable, but I definitely have some questions that I'm having a hard time getting answered locally. The biggest one is fan leafs, someone else mentioned that these bushes are way too thick and they need to be pruned up as far as the fan leaves, I have already lollipoped the bottoms. But sure could use some more advice. They're about seven and a half feet tall.

MisterHelix

MisterHelix

your garden looks great.

Inside the bush, there’s all sorts of foliage and small branches that restrict airflow. Not only is a lot of that growth unproductive, but When the rains come, mold can develop in the humid canopy.

Many people (myself included) spend a lot of time training and pruning the bushes to develop an open interior structure.

I’ll see if I have a photo to illustrate.

Also, scrog. Or trellis. I see a bit of netting, but you may be surprised how much all those branches weight when they get wet.

Anyway, good luck. Nice looking trees.

B

bowman

Thanks for replying, yes I have two tiers of netting because of the weight. But they're quite strong right now and there's budding pretty good. I just responded to somebody else My questions about getting all the fan leaves off to open it up and let some light in

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Cannabis plants sure can grow large. I think they'd be hard to prune at this point, but I would try to open the center for air flow. Buds in there won't grow or ripen well. My growing style is to avoid extensive removal of fan leaves. The plants use nutrients from them as they near the end of their life. I mostly remove them to let light reach lower buds and for air flow. I grow under lights that don't change position as the Earth does in relationship with the sun. Shaping the plant is different for outside growers.

Top Bottom