Newbie grower (first grow) -- Is this seedling OK?

• Thread starter NotTooShabby
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NotTooShabby

NotTooShabby

Hello growers!

I have long been a Cannabis consumer (15+ years) and dabbled quite a bit with post processing for several years. I have finally decided to start off with a budget grow... my primary goal is to pick out strong females with good genetics. I am working with a North African landrace cultivar (Moses' burning bush) that could have some (although not too much) foreign influence due to recent importation of foreign cultivars where I live. Due to heavy penalties for cannabis related importation, I went on a trip to the mountains and collected two sets of bag seeds from cultivars that I enjoyed. I was able to germinate 12 plants in soil which were then transplanted into a DWC 140 liter plastic tub with 12 holes on the lid. My goals are as follows

1) Vegetate for 6 weeks at a 24/0 light schedule
2) Take two clones from each plant and begin the rooting process
3) Begin flowering on the 12 plants to determine sex
4) Kill off all the males and/or hermies and their rooting clones
5) Examine remaining plants under magnifying glass for signs of nanners
6) Harvest/Kill any plants that show nanners along with their clones
7) Veg female clones that remained after the filtering
8) Take clone from each plant before flowering
9) During flowering cycle apply extreme stress to the now flowering clones by irregular photo period, unstable temperature and fluctuating humidity
10) Observe plants for signs of hermaphrodites or bisexual flowers
11) Filter out the plants that flip and leave only the true females that withstand the added stress without growing male flowers or stamens
12) Take the strong rooted female clones and only grow them from here on out

I would love to hear your opinion on this strategy...

back to the title of this post... The image that you see attached is my least healthy seedling... does it look OK? if not how can I proceed from here?

Thanks
NotTooShabby

Newbie grower first grow    is this seedling ok
Brofessor

Brofessor

I had the same issue with one plant.I'm also new to growing. What it appears to have been is a fungus do to that plant not having the proper ventilation and or its immune system was compromised.I did grow it out as I wanted to see if I could resolve issue and if it would jump to other plants.
Its possible a nutrient lock out but if the plants all are being grown with the same materiel I'd 1st check waters ph then work from there.
I was able to tame it with proper ventilation and 1 teaspoon baking soda and distilled then sprayed the leafs in question. I also used some minced garlic in distilled water soaking for 24hrs then sprayed.
Plant right now is the runt but its basically 2 massive buds and its cool as F.

chemistry

chemistry

You need to raise the seedling so the base of the stem is level with the top of the pot, and back fill with your chosen medium.

NotTooShabby

NotTooShabby

I had the same issue with one plant.I'm also new to growing. What it appears to have been is a fungus do to that plant not having the proper ventilation and or its immune system was compromised.I did grow it out as I wanted to see if I could resolve issue and if it would jump to other plants.
Its possible a nutrient lock out but if the plants all are being grown with the same materiel I'd 1st check waters ph then work from there.
I was able to tame it with proper ventilation and 1 teaspoon baking soda and distilled then sprayed the leafs in question. I also used some minced garlic in distilled water soaking for 24hrs then sprayed.
Plant right now is the runt but its basically 2 massive buds and its cool as F.
HI,

Thanks for your prompt response. I followed your advise and checked the pH which came out fine.. I too thought it may be a phosphorous deficiency due to lockout since it does look quite similar to it. I then went ahead and checked the temperature of the water which came back at 72.6F which is close to ideal. In regards to your fungus diagnosis I think that is the most likely scenario considering that, as @chemistry suggested the plant is deep into the pot hence it is not getting good ventilation down there... not much air exchange. This could be the reason why the new leaves look healthier than the old ones since they are getting more air being closer to the top of the pot.

Thanks for both of your inputs and will report back on how good/bad the grow is going

PS I do like the backing soda idea for fungus control but I am not sure when can I start spraying... is it OK to spray at this stage or should I wait and see how things progress.... Seedlings are a couple of weeks old only.

Thanks
NotTooShabby

NotTooShabby

NotTooShabby

If you look at the pic of the plant, you can see a bare root, this needs to be buried or it cant take up what it needs to grow properly.
Hi @chemistry

Thanks for pointing that out... I went ahead and covered it properly. The growing medium is gravel and I am a little worried about raising the seedlings which could lead to unintentional root damage. Another one of the 12 plants has a genetic abnormality (Figure 2) which looks super weird I will let it grow though but will not clone it for further use. Another plant of the 12 has two fused leaflets (Figure 1) which looks kind of weird... Anything you would like to point out?

WhatsApp Image 2020 07 20 at 65222 PM

Fused leaflet (Figure 1)

WhatsApp Image 2020 07 20 at 65207 PM

Genetic abnormality (Figure 2)

WhatsApp Image 2020 07 20 at 65148 PM

Fully covered root system (Figure 3)

Thanks
NotTooShabby

NotTooShabby

NotTooShabby

@chemistry @Brofessor
Recall the sick seedling?

Attached is what has become of it!
I am not sure about the taxonamy but looks like a Sativa Dominant.

Thanks for your help guys

Top Bottom