Newbie indoor grower

• Thread starter Bib4tuna
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Im doing a grow inside my garage. Its pretty safe as far secure. I live in a place where no one will bother so thats not a worry. As far as ventilation goes tho im new to all this. Im using a 250 watt hps.light which ive read doesnt give off as much heat so am i good with just fans or do i need to set up some kind of duct ventilation system?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Im doing a grow inside my garage. Its pretty safe as far secure. I live in a place where no one will bother so thats not a worry. As far as ventilation goes tho im new to all this. Im using a 250 watt hps.light which ive read doesnt give off as much heat so am i good with just fans or do i need to set up some kind of duct ventilation system?
Welcome to the Farm @Bib4tuna

How many plants are you planning?
What size is the garage?

growsince79

growsince79

Just a good fan will work, unless it's in a closet or tent. That light will cover 2.5 x 2.5 perfect. But you will have better results using fluorescent or mh the first 3 weeks.

Last edited:
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Heat is usually only a problem if you are using a tent or something that is enclosed. A 250w HPS gives off considerable heat, but not much more than an old school 100 watt light bulb. As mentioned earlier, you will probably have better results using a MH bulb for vegging... you can usually find conversion bulbs so you don't need a different ballast, if you have a HPS only ballast.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Heat is usually only a problem if you are using a tent or something that is enclosed. A 250w HPS gives off considerable heat, but not much more than an old school 100 watt light bulb. As mentioned earlier, you will probably have better results using a MH bulb for vegging... you can usually find conversion bulbs so you don't need a different ballast, if you have a HPS only ballast.
Ok,thx. As far as Mh goes I have a switchable ballast to switch between mh\hps so I'll just order an mh bulb. Thx for the info!

growsince79

growsince79

I was thinking four plants. The garage is roughly 20'x16'x10'.
That light can grow 4 very small plants. You will need to start flowering after 3 or 4 weeks. Or you could veg one plant 6 weeks then flower.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

That light can grow 4 very small plants. You will need to start flowering after 3 or 4 weeks. Or you could veg one plant 6 weeks then flower.
This ^^^ and with a room that size for a few plants air exchange won't be as crucial but some would be good

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

K,thx. I was thinking of keeping small anyways since its my 1st indoor grow & I'm venturing into the unknown.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
If you have a huge room but a not so huge light source, I would recommend putting mylar sheets or something similar to sectionoff a part of the room. This will concentrate the light and put it where it's needed and not lighting up the whole room. You probably already have something like this, but it will help a lot to maximize your light. If it isn't a small sealed place, like a tent, ventilation isn't as critical but you might still want to have some sort of exhaust system as things can get pretty stinky towards the end. Good Luck!!
Personally, if I had an large area like that with a relativly high cieling, I would grow some bigger plants since you have the room. Maybe next grow, upgrade to a 1000w bulb/ballast and grow some monsters indoors. I sometimes get 7 ft indoors with huge colas, but it depends on the strain, since a lot of new strains are pretty short, along with autos. A few 6 ft indoor plants are pretty impressive.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

If you have a huge room but a not so huge light source, I would recommend putting mylar sheets or something similar to sectionoff a part of the room. This will concentrate the light and put it where it's needed and not lighting up the whole room. You probably already have something like this, but it will help a lot to maximize your light. If it isn't a small sealed place, like a tent, ventilation isn't as critical but you might still want to have some sort of exhaust system as things can get pretty stinky towards the end. Good Luck!!
Personally, if I had an large area like that with a relativly high cieling, I would grow some bigger plants since you have the room. Maybe next grow, upgrade to a 1000w bulb/ballast and grow some monsters indoors. I sometimes get 7 ft indoors with huge colas, but it depends on the strain, since a lot of new strains are pretty short, along with autos. A few 6 ft indoor plants are pretty impressive.
Was definitely planning on putting up Mylar. As far venting for smell I wasn't to worried about neighbors but maybe that might not be a bad idea. I'm definitely planning on upgrading,I just had the 250 watt lying around collecting dust & figured what hell,might as well use it.

Top Bottom