Newbie Needs Help!

• Thread starter growingnoob
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

growingnoob

Hey all, i'd like to start growing my own herb infact i actually have 2 seeds in the "germination" stage. And i fully understand the full process of growing exept for one part; nutrients, i have (Humboldt country's own crystal burst) and (Uncle john's blend) how often do i feed them to my babys? And can i mix the two? Thanks.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You don't feed seedlings in soil because the seedlings have nutrients stored and the soil, assuming it's really soil, has available nutrients.

I can't answer your other questions because I don't know anything about those fertilizers.

Gardenguy2.0

Gardenguy2.0

Just go with plain water for now. Until they get bigger they'll be okay with plain PH balanced water. Check your water for chlorine and contaminants if possible. I used to buy filtered water (not distilled) until I got my own R.O. Setup

When your plants start to get tall and healthy Follow the instructions on the bottle. but start small.

For example if it says "use a tablespoon of fertilizer to treat 1 gallon of water" start at a quarter tablespoon" try that for a few feeds.

Then bump it up very slowly. Half TBS-three quarters TBS...etc...

If the tips of the leaf start to turn yellow or "burn" it's too strong, feed with plain water until she greens up again. And then you know how strong she likes the nutes your using.

You water when she's thirsty, when the top soil starts to dry. If your soil is constantly soaked that's not good... she'll start to slump when she's thirsty, or over watered. Make a note of how much water you use and how long it takes her to slump and want more. Feed before she slumps. If you let it dry out a little before feeding the roots will expand in search of more water, and that's good!

Watch "ready set grow" on YouTube a few times to get the basics. That helped me when I was a newbie. I watched Jorge Cervantes ultimate grow DVD 1 & 2 which is available on YouTube but some of his methods and information is a little out of date. Nonetheless, it's where I started!

G

growingnoob

Thanks for the fast replys! You guys answered my questions and explained. I have one more question....how do i get dense buds instead of fluffy? And i am growing indoors with CFL's because im on a tight budget how would you recommend getting the biggest yield? Thanks in advance!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
That's a combination of genetics and lighting, I don't know if you can get it with CFLs. Have you been through the GrowFAQ section yet? TONS of information in there. Top left of the page.

Gardenguy2.0

Gardenguy2.0

Thanks for the fast replys! You guys answered my questions and explained. I have one more question....how do i get dense buds instead of fluffy? And i am growing indoors with CFL's because im on a tight budget how would you recommend getting the biggest yield? Thanks in advance!
Yeah, I agree with sea. You'll achieve tight buds with correct genetics and more intense light. Some buds just grow loosely. But they're more likely to flowering under cfl's

Look for a little used 400w high pressure sodium hood and ballast. Should be able to find one cheap. I killed it under a 400w my very first time growing.

A friend of mine is selling a 400w hood and electronic ballast with a 400w metal halide bulb and a 400w hps bulb plus a timer. Brand new 100$. If I didn't already have equipment I would've totally taken it, it's a rad little starter setup. I'm sure you can find something similar. It's worth it.

Top Bottom