Newbie Seed Inquiries

• Thread starter Robert Gray
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Robert Gray

This is my first time sprouting from seeds. It's been roughly 48 hours since I germinated them. They have about an inch root tail. How long should I aim for the root to be before I pot them?

Also -- if the root tail is curled, when I do pot them, should I try to straighten the root out? Or will nature take its course and fix that?

Appreciate any help!

jipp

jipp

This is my first time sprouting from seeds. It's been roughly 48 hours since I germinated them. They have about an inch root tail. How long should I aim for the root to be before I pot them?

Also -- if the root tail is curled, when I do pot them, should I try to straighten the root out? Or will nature take its course and fix that?

Appreciate any help!
do you have a picture, when i think curled tail im thinking this:

IMG 1340   Copy

im sure what you are seeing is normal just plant it. :)

next time if you can catch them before they get that long you will want to put the seed with the white tap root facing up, about a 1/4" deep in the soil.. they need little water at this stage. about a shot glass worth is more than enough, put a plastic bag on top, mist the plastic bag with regular water every day till the first set of leafs show ( cotyledon ). blow a little air into the bag ( co2 ). you just do not want the top of the soil drying out before it can get established, that is the reason i use the bag. i live in the desert tho.

and wait.

these popped up the other day.

i let it get about 1/4" long before i planted.
this was at 24 hours.. just breaking the seed hull.
IMG 2038   Copy

1 day since breaking ground.
IMG 2335

chris.

Last edited:
Dewd

Dewd

Appreciate any help!
I've always had the best luck planting my seeds right in the soil. I use the clicker side of a Bic pen to make the hole. Pop the seed in and lightly cover. Then using a spray bottle and water keep the surface around the seed moist until the plant sprouts. Usually 2-3 days. I know that don't help for this time but maybe try that next time. It saves a step and a chance for problems. There are different ways to successfully sow a seed and that was the way that works best for me.

R

Robert Gray

I potted them, and they sprouted in about 24 hours, now onto my next newbie question, how often/how much water should I be giving them?

Latest posts

Top Bottom