Newbie to Coco / Auto pots

• Thread starter hazemaster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

hazemaster

Hi there folks I’m new to the forum and I’m just after some general advice regarding growing in coco coir in auto pots, I’m not a novice to cannabis horticulture and have had numerous previous successful grows in both soil and DWC hydroponics using clay pebbles as the growth medium, but there are a few questions I have / relating to the use of coco specifically in auto pots, the set up I’ll be running will be 6-8 auto pots with a 100 litre reservoir, the auto pots will be housed in a home box ambient grow tent 120cm x 240cm x 200cm (tall) the lights I’ll be using will be an Adjustawing 630w DE ceramic metal halide and an Adjustwing 600w - 750w DE HPS to provide spectral mixing, I’ll be running a 150mm intake fan, 150mm extractor fan with filter and 2 x 6” vivosun oscillating fans for additional air movement, I’ll be using all canna products including coco A+B, Rhizotonic, cal mag, and PK 13-14 as well as a bloom booster during flowering, the varieties I’ll be initially growing are Ace seeds feminised Panamanian x Malawi and Zamadelica which I intend to manifold train prior to initiating flowering, both varieties can handle moderate levels of nutrients through the grow according to information provided by Ace so the questions I have really relate to run off, and EC and PH management through the grow. My questions are as follows

1 - firstly as mentioned I intend to manifold train the plants so I will need to germinate and plant initially in smaller pots and gradually re-pot until I finally transplant to the 15 litre auto pots and turning the system on, during this period I understand I’ll be top watering the plants and have read I’ll need to allow for 10-20% run off which I’ll need to PH and EC check to identify what my girls are using, when I do switch to the using the auto pots though obviously at this point the plants will be bottom feeding directly from the reservoir so I won’t be able to check in / out PH / EC, what EC levels and PH range would you recommend based on my set up described above and how would you recommend managing these parameters in the reservoir ?

2 - As far as the reservoir is concerned do you top up as the levels fall and adjust PH and EC accordingly or do you periodically completely empty the reservoir and refill with fresh water and PH adjust with new nutrients ? Also at what point would you recommend starting to add the Calmag / Rhizotnic ?

3 - When top feeding obviously allowing for 10-20% run off will leach out any build up of salts in the growing medium but as the auto puts supply the nutrients at the bottom of the root system do I need to flush with ph adjusted water in any way either by running water through the top of the plant or just running plain ph adjusted water through the reservoir ? if this is the case how often would you recommend doing this and for what duration before refilling the reservoir and resetting the nutrient levels ?

4 - The water in my reservoir will be rain water from a tank do I need to worry about considering background EC when setting my nutrient levels ?

Thanks in advance for any advice to the questions above I’d also appreciate any comments / input on the set up I’ll be using and if there is anything anyone would suggest changing up what I’ve described, cheers 👍.

Top Bottom