Newbie used neem oil on big buds, still has caterpillars

• Thread starter werifesteria
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
werifesteria

werifesteria

This is my first time growing. The guy who gave me the baby plant (who has only grown indoors) advised I use neem oil for bugs every two weeks. A couple days ago I saw a bunch of webs with what looked like spider mites so I blasted the whole plant with neem oil. Now I've read it's bad for the plant (and me). I'm disabled and desperately need the flower to make edibles to manage my pain. I may smoke some of it if it's smokeable but I mainly want it for edibles and possibly concentrate.

If not neem oil, what, if anything, can I use to keep bugs off her? As I mentioned, I'm on disability so I have a tiny income - please don't suggest wicked expensive stuff. If I've ruined the flower for smoking, can I still use it for edibles?

Newbie used neem oil on big buds still has caterpillars
Newbie used neem oil on big buds still has caterpillars 2
Newbie used neem oil on big buds still has caterpillars 3
3cats

3cats

Thanks - bought some. And it's fine to spray right on the flower?
You sprayed your flowing plants with neem oi? Oh man I think you are fuked sorry to say but that shit doesn't wash off and I think you've ruined your smoke. Its not eatable and will taint the buds with its taste and smell. Did you emulsify it with baby soap? I'd try and soak it in Dr. Bronner's baby soap and water with a fine mist spray from a pressure washer followed with a straight water spray down then let dry 100% so you're not keeping the buds you have already developed wet ( mould potential ) Then repeat multiple times until the smell from it is gone then hope and pray you get some untainted smoke/ eatables

werifesteria

werifesteria

You sprayed your flowing plants with neem oi? Oh man I think you are fuked sorry to say but that shit doesn't wash off and I think you've ruined your smoke.
Effffffff. I'll give it a try. It doesn't smell like neem oil at all. We've had a lot of rain and I know rain doesn't wash oil off but. Would Dawn be bad to use in the same way as Dr Bronner's? I'm just real limited on cash. F*ck. F***********ck.

3cats

3cats

Effffffff. I'll give it a try. It doesn't smell like neem oil at all. We've had a lot of rain and I know rain doesn't wash oil off but. Would Dawn be bad to use in the same way as Dr Bronner's? I'm just real limited on cash. F*ck. F***********ck.
You've done Neem, how bad can Dawn be? It may even be better with stronger detergent action but we're really grasping at straws here. I know the feeling man. I too used to be disabled and couldn't walk then I had both hips replaced and I'm walking normal again. I had an outdoor crop mould on me that I was counting on for my years supply. A 50 year old man in tears when I realized all my smoke was lost. I don't grow outside anymore

I hope you can save it somewhat, Thoughts of cutting off the worst effected? its big enough to have lots inside that's not too badly contaminated

werifesteria

werifesteria

You've done Neem, how bad can Dawn be? It may even be better with stronger detergent action but we're really grasping at straws here. I know the feeling man. I too used to be disabled and couldn't walk then I had both hips replaced and I'm walking normal again. I had an outdoor crop mould on me that I was counting on for my years supply. A 50 year old man in tears when I realized all my smoke was lost. I don't grow outside anymore

I hope you can save it somewhat, Thoughts of cutting off the worst effected? its big enough to have lots inside that's not too badly contaminated
I mean I went through about 1/3 of the plant and picked out bugs, webs, poop, and any kind of rot or drying or just anything weird.

Also a 50 year old here but with fibro, lumbar herniations, arthritis, and both knees are f*cked. Some days it's all I can do to stand up. I'll see what I can do w her. Thanks mate.

MisterHelix

MisterHelix

You sprayed your flowing plants with neem oi? Oh man I think you are fuked sorry to say but that shit doesn't wash off and I think you've ruined your smoke.
No. No need to panic. I spray pure neem cut with dr bronners and protekt silica up until a month before harvest. I try to keep the spray on the leaves, not the buds. Neem, properly applied, is not bad for your buds or you. No need to panic.

Thuricide btk I spray directly on the buds and undersides of the leaves weekly from the start of flower until about a month out, for caterpillars.

You’re fine. Relax.

Don’t do anything weird trying to “fix” it.

werifesteria

werifesteria

@MisterHelix Bless and thanks. I've been reading online and there's a bit consensus of "up to 3 weeks before harvest" which I'm definitely on the outside of. How do I know when to harvest?

I bought some thuricide so I'll be using that come tomorrow.

MisterHelix

MisterHelix

@MisterHelix Bless and thanks. I've been reading online and there's a bit consensus of "up to 3 weeks before harvest" which I'm definitely on the outside of. How do I know when to harvest?

I bought some thuricide so I'll be using that come tomorrow.
Opinions vary, but generally You’ll know when to harvest when most of the white pistils (“hairs”) have turned red/brown, and the trichomes will be opaque with maybe 10% Amber in color under the loupe or magnifying glass. Leaves will become yellow and senescent, it will be autumn.

Or, as long as you can let it go before the caterpillars, rains and damp mornings force your hand.

I don’t wash my bud. I’m not trying to get ‘em wet.

3cats

3cats

No. No need to panic. I spray pure neem cut with dr bronners and protekt silica up until a month before harvest. I try to keep the spray on the leaves, not the buds. Neem, properly applied, is not bad for your buds or you. No need to panic.

Thuricide btk I spray directly on the buds and undersides of the leaves weekly from the start of flower until about a month out, for caterpillars.

You’re fine. Relax.

Don’t do anything weird trying to “fix” it.
Hey I hope your right but that stuff stinks and sticks like a glue. I didn't hear if it was emulsified prior to spraying onto the plant if not I really don't think it'll wash off

werifesteria

werifesteria

Hey I hope your right but that stuff stinks and sticks like a glue. I didn't hear if it was emulsified prior to spraying onto the plant if not I really don't think it'll wash off
I did not emulsify it. I had no idea. Damn it.

3cats

3cats

Opinions vary, but generally You’ll know when to harvest when most of the white pistils (“hairs”) have turned red/brown, and the trichomes will be opaque with maybe 10% Amber in color under the loupe or magnifying glass. Leaves will become yellow and senescent, it will be autumn.

Or, as long as you can let it go before the caterpillars, rains and damp mornings force your hand.

I don’t wash my bud. I’m not trying to get ‘em wet.
I don't like the snap crackle and pop & sizzle of bug carcasses & their sht when smoking. Washing gets rid of most of it. its not worse than a good rainfall with cleaning ingredients when done gently. You can wash away trics with a rough hand though.

Dip, gently swish, shake, repeat in 3 tubs with 1st tub 500ml peroxide / 5 gal tub 4 gal full/ a plastic lemon 1 cup baking soda, in 2nd tub & plane cold clean water in the 3rd. Hang with an osculating fan blowing on the plants / branches for close to 2 hrs. when all the wet is off the plants dry as normal

MisterHelix

MisterHelix

I did not emulsify it. I had no idea. Damn it.
Real neem comes as a thick syrup and has to be emulsified and diluted. I have to warm the jug up in a water bath before measuring out an ounce. First two teaspoons of Real Liquid Soap like Dr B’s goes in a mason jar with a bit of hot water, then the neem and half a jar full of very warm water. Shake well, it turns yellow white and opaque. Then into the pressure sprayer with the rest of the gallon. Shake well occasionally during use.

My main use is as a fungicide against Leaf Septoria
7EEBA277 D086 491F 8B65 24ABC496F869

Madbud

Madbud

What i can’t figure out about btk is that Thuricide is 15%, Monterey is 98.5%. I think thuricide includes nutes for the bacteria and surfactants so it spreads but not sure. Haven’t seen a reason to use any this year, probably innoculated the whole yard over the past few seasons☠️🐛

werifesteria

werifesteria

@Madbud @MisterHelix is BT as hazardous as the label makes it out to be? I got some on my finger and some blowback misting when the sprayer came undone under pressure, and I ran to take a long hot shower. Do I need to Walter White-up to use this stuff or are the printed warnings out of an abundance of caution?

Top Bottom