Newish Plants Even Newer Farmer

• Thread starter ozarkgrey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
Greetings,

I got some clones going on in my tent and all is well so far as i can tell, long road ahead but one i'm sure will continue to be rewarding for years to come, and thanks for having me!!

So my question is when or if i should top the plants i have that are in the stage as the one shown in the picture, which happens to be Big Bud BC. I also have some healthy branches at the bottom that i'm unsure of as well. for now some advise on the ones shown would be great. many thanks in advance

OG

Newish plants even newer farmer
Newish plants even newer farmer 2
Newish plants even newer farmer 3
Newish plants even newer farmer 4
Newish plants even newer farmer 5
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I usually let them get their 2nd set of new leaves and then clip/pinch/top. Its a matter of choice and depends on your preferences and available room, since you get the largest buds from the largest branches/stems. FWIW, some will give you grief for posting pics using the purple light, especially id asking questions about problems that you are having.
Anyhow, I would let the next set of leaves come in and then top it, but it is really a matter of preference and technique. Things are looking good, just don't overfeed them and go easy on the water and you will do well!

ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
Hey Brother thanks for the G2 on taking pics with the lights on, i will avoid doing so in the future. on topic, to be clear i'm waiting on 'opposite sets of leafs' so to speak before taking the top? makes sense as i'm waiting on the same with my seedling i popped. many thanks for the feedback.

OG

ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
I usually let them get their 2nd set of new leaves and then clip/pinch/top. Its a matter of choice and depends on your preferences and available room, since you get the largest buds from the largest branches/stems. FWIW, some will give you grief for posting pics using the purple light, especially id asking questions about problems that you are having.
Anyhow, I would let the next set of leaves come in and then top it, but it is really a matter of preference and technique. Things are looking good, just don't overfeed them and go easy on the water and you will do well!

Hey Jimster when you get a chance can you look at this pic i mocked up for reference on where to watch for growth before topping.

Thanks

OG

IMG 09971
Last edited:
ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
I'd top that Big Bud. You already have some nice shoots coming off it. That should branch out nicely.
Yes sir I did that one and two others of about the same age and height. Fingers crossed. If anything I think I left one to long?
thanks for the input

OF

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
You will get another set of opposite leave that is identical to the ones already on there, it will already be starting to develop. I try to push the new leave downwad, exposing the very top of the growing stem. I make my cut on this main stem, making sure to get all of the stem and not the leaves... if you leave some leaves or don't make a clean cut, it might try to continue growing with the damaged leaves instead of sprouting new branches. Cutting the main stem cleanly is the main issue.
****UPDATE***
I took another look at your earlier pics and didn't realize how tall and developed they were already... I only saw the one with the top view and I assumed it was much smaller. It is certainly ready for topping. I grow my plants much taller than most indoor growers and I typically top mine after the 2nd set of alternate true leaves develops.

Top Bottom