Newish to Indoor, would love advice

• Thread starter mustang_14282
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mustang_14282

mustang_14282

Hey Everyone,

Like in the title, I'm pretty new at indoor growing but not a total newbie. I've grown outdoors a half dozen times.

When I grew outdoors, it was in Northern Ontario, Canada with an older friend who taught me the little I know. We would germinate our seeds under fluorescent bulbs starting them in April, putting them outside on May 2-4 weekend and tend to them once a week all summer long.(100 regular seeds, hope for the best, removing males along the way) giving them lake water and miracle grow and no training methods. As most would call it guerilla gardening/farming.

Obviously throughout my time, I've come to learn how terrible everything Miracle Grow is for your plants hence why I bought everything mentioned below.

I've also done a lot of reading and research but sometimes it feels like it leaves me with more questions than answers. Due to my limited skills and experience, hydro feels a little out of my comfort zone so I am going with soil.

So I got a 24"x48"x60" grow tent with a 190 CFM inline fan with speed controller & carbon filter. The light I have, I bought slightly used from a friend, it has 4 Cree CXB3590 COB's with a 250w LED driver at 1400mA without a dimmer. Setup on 4"x 42" rail about 8" apart. I also have three 18" T5 fluorescent lights with a cheap plastic propagator for seedlings. I have some small pots (solo cup size) for seedlings, some 1/2 or 3/4 gallon (not sure) square pots and some 3 gallon pots that are deeper than they are wide. (all pots are plastic, I bought them before I started my research and saw fabric pots are better) I bought some seedling mix soil, some Fox Farm Happy Frog soil and some perlite to mix into the soil. I've got a timer, hygrometer, soil PH tester, water PH tester & water TDS/EC tester. I'm going to be using Reverse Osmosis water from Water Depot. I've also bought Remo Nutrients Supercharged kit. I've bought some feminized seeds but not auto flower as it somehow feels out of my comfort zone. I unfortunately didn't do a whole lot of research on the strains I bought so that's a bad decision on my part. I've spent a fair amount of money now and don't want to screw it up completely.

I haven't setup my tent, ventilation and light, I don't know how warm it will get in there yet. I'm waiting for the wife to finish clearing the space for it. So this is why I'm here.

So onto the questions... (I plan on only growing 1-2 plants to start so I don't waste seeds and too much soil etc. and practice training methods)

1.Are these lights not strong enough/too strong for that size tent? should I get a dimmer for them?
2.What distance should I have the light from the plants during veg and flower? My biggest worry!!!
3.Should I start them under the fluorescent for seedling and move them under the stronger lights after or should I do it all under the stronger lights?
4.Should I transplant them from the small to medium to larger pots or start with the large pots right away? I've read so many different opinions but usually with auto flowering plants.
5.Should the ventilation be on 24/7 or should it be on the timer with the lights?
6.With the tent only being 60" tall, how many weeks should I veg and which training technique should I use?
7.Are 3 gallon pots big enough for them or should I go bigger?
8.Are the plastic pots good enough or should I invest in fabric pots?
9.I've read with LED you will water less and use less nutes since they don't get as hot. If not watering as often and using less nutes, won't they grow smaller and less potent buds?
10.What happens if the lights make it too hot in the tent? is my ventilation system not strong enough?
11.Other than a small/medium oscillating fan and maybe a small humidifier, how else can I control heat & humidity?

I think I've got all the questions I can come up with. (I will edit if I think of any)

Sorry if it's a little long winded and if there are too many questions.

Thanks in advance for any advice and help that may come!

mustang_14282

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Hey Everyone,

Like in the title, I'm pretty new at indoor growing but not a total newbie. I've grown outdoors a half dozen times.

When I grew outdoors, it was in Northern Ontario, Canada with an older friend who taught me the little I know. We would germinate our seeds under fluorescent bulbs starting them in April, putting them outside on May 2-4 weekend and tend to them once a week all summer long.(100 regular seeds, hope for the best, removing males along the way) giving them lake water and miracle grow and no training methods. As most would call it guerilla gardening/farming.

Obviously throughout my time, I've come to learn how terrible everything Miracle Grow is for your plants hence why I bought everything mentioned below.

I've also done a lot of reading and research but sometimes it feels like it leaves me with more questions than answers. Due to my limited skills and experience, hydro feels a little out of my comfort zone so I am going with soil.

So I got a 24"x48"x60" grow tent with a 190 CFM inline fan with speed controller & carbon filter. The light I have, I bought slightly used from a friend, it has 4 Cree CXB3590 COB's with a 250w LED driver at 1400mA without a dimmer. Setup on 4"x 42" rail about 8" apart. I also have three 18" T5 fluorescent lights with a cheap plastic propagator for seedlings. I have some small pots (solo cup size) for seedlings, some 1/2 or 3/4 gallon (not sure) square pots and some 3 gallon pots that are deeper than they are wide. (all pots are plastic, I bought them before I started my research and saw fabric pots are better) I bought some seedling mix soil, some Fox Farm Happy Frog soil and some perlite to mix into the soil. I've got a timer, hygrometer, soil PH tester, water PH tester & water TDS/EC tester. I'm going to be using Reverse Osmosis water from Water Depot. I've also bought Remo Nutrients Supercharged kit. I've bought some feminized seeds but not auto flower as it somehow feels out of my comfort zone. I unfortunately didn't do a whole lot of research on the strains I bought so that's a bad decision on my part. I've spent a fair amount of money now and don't want to screw it up completely.

I haven't setup my tent, ventilation and light, I don't know how warm it will get in there yet. I'm waiting for the wife to finish clearing the space for it. So this is why I'm here.

So onto the questions... (I plan on only growing 1-2 plants to start so I don't waste seeds and too much soil etc. and practice training methods)

1.Are these lights not strong enough/too strong for that size tent? should I get a dimmer for them?
2.What distance should I have the light from the plants during veg and flower? My biggest worry!!!
3.Should I start them under the fluorescent for seedling and move them under the stronger lights after or should I do it all under the stronger lights?
4.Should I transplant them from the small to medium to larger pots or start with the large pots right away? I've read so many different opinions but usually with auto flowering plants.
5.Should the ventilation be on 24/7 or should it be on the timer with the lights?
6.With the tent only being 60" tall, how many weeks should I veg and which training technique should I use?
9.I've read with LED you will water less and use less nutes since they don't get as hot. If not watering as often and using less nutes, won't they grow smaller and less potent buds?
10.What happens if the lights make it too hot in the tent? is my ventilation system not strong enough?
11.Other than a small/medium oscillating fan and maybe a small humidifier, how else can I control heat & humidity?

I think I've got all the questions I can come up with. (I will edit if I think of any)

mustang_14282
ok, c’mon you already know the answer to some of those, like ventilation on 24 hrs? of course, does it stop outside? sorry, but...

N00BGR0WER

N00BGR0WER

im a noob to indoors also. setup my kit about a month ago. it does get pretty humid in there. seedling stage is great didnt use the extractor during that phase. im in early veg now and humidity goes up pretty high if i dont use the extractor. its now on 24/7. theyre not dead yet. 😅

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
im a noob to indoors also. setup my kit about a month ago. it does get pretty humid in there. seedling stage is great didnt use the extractor during that phase. im in early veg now and humidity goes up pretty high if i dont use the extractor. its now on 24/7. theyre not dead yet. 😅
just watch a bit after lights go out if your humidity jumps up..
you may have to adjust.,

mustang_14282

mustang_14282

ok, c’mon you already know the answer to some of those, like ventilation on 24 hrs? of course, does it stop outside? sorry, but...

you're right, i was really high when i wrote these questions... reading it back now, most of these questions didn't need asking..

since i don't see a lot about COB lights on google, they are my only real concern. to be honest, i haven't searched through this forum to see if there is any info about COB lighting. For that i apologize

so the only questions i was hoping to get an answer to are these,

are these lights not strong enough/too strong for that size tent?
should I get a dimmer for them?
what distance should I have the light from the plants during veg and flower?

Cypress66

Cypress66

The light you have i would say is probably more than strong enough as long as it covers the area i haven’t used them myself but Cree has a good reputation as for height ask your man you got it from or im sure you will be able to get info on the web

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
Hey Everyone,

mustang_14282

you can look online and see the height chart for that light. i suggest transplant from solo cup size to 1 gal to 3 gal. (or 5 gal). she will tell you when.

i understand the questions, it is like the wedding jitters, it is close, you made the plans and now... you have doubts...

so, sounds like you did the work, you are prepared. i would suggest the cloth pots, minimal cost and good benefits.

you will figure out the best way to control their environment, but i suggest get a smart plug for lights, fans and all other appliances you might add. with the smart plug (about $6-8 bucks each here) you can set schedules for things and turn them on and off from your phone.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hey Everyone,

mustang_14282
I can only tell you what I do and have success with
1. I use 6 - T5's 2 " - 8 " away they can get within 2" but will burn if they touch the lamp.
3. I veg for up to 3 months under the T5's but as they grow I add a t5 side light and some led pot lights if I need more through the canopy. I go to a 1000w hps when I turn to 12/12
5. I go from solo cups 2 weeks to 3/4 gallon 2 weeks- 3 gallon - 5 gallon if I'm vegging over 2.5 months
7. Plastic with holes burned in are great an you can use ( with cleaning) forever
9. At 78f my pots dry in 3-4 days ( 5 days for 5 gallon) with good all around air flow
11. More than one osculating fan will be needed with a full tent.
A dehumidifier is a must for me along with humidifiers and exhaust & fans running 24/7
a Ph tester, ppm meter, humidity & temp gauges

mustang_14282

mustang_14282

My second indoor grow. Anyone got advice to get buds bigger?
you look like you are still weeks away (4-6 more to go). keep feeding nutrients and flush for last 2 weeks and you should get decent buds

Latest posts

Top Bottom