News on latest bill

• Thread starter chickenman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
true grit

true grit

Already told ya Fish, different circumstances here. Make constitutional amendments in those states and it would likely be the same. This isn't some measure, its a state right in our constitution just as the medical was. No need to delve into again. Plus they prob got fingers invested in the future legal biz as is. :cool:

Dopegeist

Dopegeist

Just a couple thoughts after reading tex's links,
25% tax(15 excise/10 sales)+overhead of cost of doing biz will give the smaller "cash cropper" for lack of a better word a nice little advantage.
- that $4800 dollar pound that gets moved out the front door...

But you are right, must remember ancient teachings.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
The state is goin to decide the wholesale price charged by the cultivation facilities to the retail outlets and the tax must be paid prior to the transfer to the retail outlet..the state is goin to decide production rates and throttle it to suit consumption with limited plant counts and production quotas..

Natural

Natural

The state is goin to decide the wholesale price charged by the cultivation facilities to the retail outlets and the tax must be paid prior to the transfer to the retail outlet..the state is goin to decide production rates and throttle it to suit consumption with limited plant counts and production quotas..

holy shit..thumb prints..bar codes...and now this? Are they gonna have quality control too...hahahaha...I'll take that job!

true grit

true grit

How exactly do they plan to limit pricing in an open market? Again, not like alcohol at all and not free capitalism period. I could see limiting production quotas, i figure thats how they would tier licensing. How are they planning plant counts?

Not trying to come off bitchy, thats just pretty bogus. A tax can be applied by quota/volume sold completely seperate from wholesale price....unless they're gonna put like a $4k cap on wholesale :rolleyes:

M

mr duder

Hahaha I knew they would keep the price high. In order to receive the maximum tax dollars they need to keep the ticket as high as possible. If you go off of the Rand (bullshit) numbers of what weed could go for in an open market the tax revinew wouldn't be what it could be if higher prices are allowed to stay. Also the federal government was less likely to get involved when "medical" prices where that of the black market because it didn't make sense to take the risk of shipping it for the same price it could already be bought for in another state. If the wholesale price dropped to 1000 a pound it would still be extremely profitable for people to cross state lines and try to make money doing so. If this were to happen it would force the FED to get involved. Not saying they still won't but that would guarantee it in my opinion.

C

cctt

What's the source of this information about the price being set by the state? I have never heard of such a thing, and it seems implausible to me. I'd like to learn more.

Dopegeist

Dopegeist

it seems implausible to me.
After the last three years?

Anyhow, they got to keep it high, otherwise where's the profits for Pharma outfits if your Meds will only cost $5/pack. That's 'Marlboro Country' there.

And with their success at seed to sale, I see no reason for them not to shoot for the stars and beyond.

squiggly

squiggly

After the last three years?

Anyhow, they got to keep it high, otherwise where's the profits for Pharma outfits if your Meds will only cost $5/pack. That's 'Marlboro Country' there.

And with their success at seed to sale, I see no reason for them not to shoot for the stars and beyond.

You won't see pharma getting into this business initially. I can almost guarantee you that. You can't patent the plant and the margins aren't there for them. Totally different business models, totally different markets. Just because the stuff fills a pharmaceutical need for you doesn't mean it fits the bill of a pharmaceutical product for them.

Say 20 years down the line post federal legalization you might see pharma take over, but initially they'll actually fight it all tooth and nail. If they want the prices high they want them high to discourage sales, not to make higher profit.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Its not a free open market at all..its a highly regulated government controlled industry..

I posted links to the actual final bills that passed, ya'll should just read them, it will really trip you out some of what they passed and there is a ton of regulations they have to still write between now and July 1st, so there is still alot more to come

(3) A RETAIL MARIJUANA CULTIVATION FACILITY SHALL REMIT ANYAPPLICABLE EXCISE TAX DUE INACCORDANCEWITHARTICLE 28.8 OF ARTICLE 39,C.R.S., BASED ON THE AVERAGE WHOLESALE PRICES SET BY THE STATE LICENSING AUTHORITY.

true grit

true grit

You won't see pharma getting into this business initially. I can almost guarantee you that. You can't patent the plant and the margins aren't there for them. Totally different business models, totally different markets. Just because the stuff fills a pharmaceutical need for you doesn't mean it fits the bill of a pharmaceutical product for them.

Say 20 years down the line post federal legalization you might see pharma take over, but initially they'll actually fight it all tooth and nail. If they want the prices high they want them high to discourage sales, not to make higher profit.

Sorry bud, but ive def heard of pharma trying to get involved already over the last several years in some interesting ways. Heard they already hold some licensing that isn't much talked about as well.

Its not a free open market at all..its a highly regulated government controlled industry..

I posted links to the actual final bills that passed, ya'll should just read them, it will really trip you out some of what they passed and there is a ton of regulations they have to still write between now and July 1st, so there is still alot more to come

(3) A RETAIL MARIJUANA CULTIVATION FACILITY SHALL REMIT ANYAPPLICABLE EXCISE TAX DUE INACCORDANCEWITHARTICLE 28.8 OF ARTICLE 39,C.R.S., BASED ON THE AVERAGE WHOLESALE PRICES SET BY THE STATE LICENSING AUTHORITY.

Hmm, based on average wholesale price sounds a bit different than them setting pricing. That makes it sound as though they will take a market average and set that as standard for taxation, no? Yeah I need to take a minute and read through all the links.

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

How exactly do they plan to limit pricing in an open market? Again, not like alcohol at all and not free capitalism period. I could see limiting production quotas, i figure thats how they would tier licensing. How are they planning plant counts?

Not trying to come off bitchy, thats just pretty bogus. A tax can be applied by quota/volume sold completely seperate from wholesale price....unless they're gonna put like a $4k cap on wholesale :rolleyes:
none of it's going to work bro, and anyone that truly believes this is goin to work has their head up their asses further then the guys pushin this shit......take it easy..........it's a plant...........you can't regulate plants...period.....thats just fucked up in every aspect

true grit

true grit

Its not to say they won't try! lol. I believe it will be a base for them to get sued over until things get hammered out and operating like any other business. but that will take years for sure.

squiggly

squiggly

Sorry bud, but ive def heard of pharma trying to get involved already over the last several years in some interesting ways. Heard they already hold some licensing that isn't much talked about as well.

Honestly I'm so positive that this doesn't fit their business model that I'm willing to put money on it that big pharma won't get involved heavily.

You might see some extremely marginal involvement from the pharma industry, but I'd expect to see only small players getting involved. You won't see the big boys sitting down at the table, not initially. You will see federal legalization before any of them even consider it. Even after that I'm pretty sure you won't see any of the big stakeholders getting involved. Smaller niche companies will definitely get involved, but this is very different from worrying about big pharma throwing around their political clout.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
The Top Five Special Interest Groups Lobbying To Keep Marijuana Illegal
POSTED AT 9:04 AM BY LEE FANG

Last year, over 850,000 people in America were arrested for marijuana-related crimes. Despite public opinion, the medical community, and human rights experts all moving in favor of relaxing marijuana prohibition laws, little has changed in terms of policy.

There have been many great books and articles detailing the history of the drug war. Part of America’s fixation with keeping the leafy green plant illegal is rooted in cultural and political clashes from the past.

However, we at Republic Report think it’s worth showing that there are entrenched interest groups that are spending large sums of money to keep our broken drug laws on the books:
1.) Police Unions: Police departments across the country have become dependent on federal drug war grants to finance their budget. In March, wepublished a story revealing that a police union lobbyist in California coordinated the effort to defeat Prop 19, a ballot measure in 2010 to legalize marijuana, while helping his police department clients collect tens of millions in federal marijuana-eradication grants. And it’s not just in California. Federal lobbying disclosures show that other police union lobbyists have pushed for stiffer penalties for marijuana-related crimes nationwide.

2.) Private Prisons Corporations: Private prison corporations make millions by incarcerating people who have been imprisoned for drug crimes, including marijuana. As Republic Report’s Matt Stoller noted last year, Corrections Corporation of America, one of the largest for-profit prison companies, revealed in a regulatory filing that continuing the drug war is part in parcel to their business strategy. Prison companies have spent millions bankrolling pro-drug war politicians and have used secretive front groups, like the American Legislative Exchange Council, to pass harsh sentencing requirements for drug crimes.

3.) Alcohol and Beer Companies: Fearing competition for the dollars Americans spend on leisure, alcohol and tobacco interests have lobbied to keep marijuana out of reach. For instance, the California Beer & Beverage Distributors contributed campaign contributions to a committee set up to prevent marijuana from being legalized and taxed.

4.) Pharmaceutical Corporations: Like the sin industries listed above, pharmaceutical interests would like to keep marijuana illegal so American don’t have the option of cheap medical alternatives to their products. Howard Wooldridge, a retired police officer who now lobbies the government to relax marijuana prohibition laws, told Republic Report that next to police unions, the “second biggest opponent on Capitol Hill is big PhRMA” because marijuana can replace “everything from Advil to Vicodin and other expensive pills.”

5.) Prison Guard Unions: Prison guard unions have a vested interest in keeping people behind bars just like for-profit prison companies. In 2008, the California Correctional Peace Officers Association spent a whopping $1 million to defeat a measure that would have “reduced sentences and parole times for nonviolent drug offenders while emphasizing drug treatment over prison.”

F

fadetoblack1

POSTED AT 9:04 AM BYLEE FANG

Last year, over850,000 people in America were arrested for marijuana-related crimes. Despite public opinion, themedical community, andhuman rightsexperts all moving in favor of relaxing marijuana prohibition laws, little has changed in terms of policy.

There have been many greatbooksand articles detailing the history of the drug war. Part of America’s fixation with keeping the leafy green plant illegal is rooted in cultural and political clashes from the past.

However, we at Republic Report think it’s worth showing that there are entrenched interest groups that are spending large sums of money to keep our broken drug laws on the books:
1.) Police Unions: Police departments across the country have become dependent on federal drug war grants to finance their budget. In March, wepublished a story revealing that a police union lobbyist in California coordinated the effort to defeat Prop 19, a ballot measure in 2010 to legalize marijuana, while helping his police department clients collect tens of millions in federal marijuana-eradication grants. And it’s not just in California. Federal lobbying disclosures show that other police union lobbyists have pushed for stiffer penalties for marijuana-related crimes nationwide.

2.) Private Prisons Corporations: Private prison corporations make millions by incarcerating people who have been imprisoned for drug crimes, including marijuana. As Republic Report’s Matt Stoller noted last year, Corrections Corporation of America, one of the largest for-profit prison companies, revealed in a regulatory filing that continuing the drug war is part in parcel to their business strategy. Prison companies have spent millions bankrolling pro-drug war politicians and have used secretive front groups, like the American Legislative Exchange Council, to pass harsh sentencing requirements for drug crimes.

3.) Alcohol and Beer Companies: Fearing competition for the dollars Americans spend on leisure, alcohol and tobacco interests have lobbied to keep marijuana out of reach. For instance, the California Beer & Beverage Distributors contributed campaign contributions to a committee set up to prevent marijuana from being legalized and taxed.

4.) Pharmaceutical Corporations: Like the sin industries listed above, pharmaceutical interests would like to keep marijuana illegal so American don’t have the option of cheap medical alternatives to their products. Howard Wooldridge, a retired police officer who now lobbies the government to relax marijuana prohibition laws, told Republic Report that next to police unions, the “second biggest opponent on Capitol Hill is big PhRMA” because marijuana can replace “everything from Advil to Vicodin and other expensive pills.”

5.) Prison Guard Unions: Prison guard unions have a vested interest in keeping people behind bars just like for-profit prison companies. In 2008, the California Correctional Peace Officers Association spent a whopping $1 million to defeat a measure that would have “reduced sentences and parole times for nonviolent drug offenders while emphasizing drug treatment over prison.”

Until the pro legalization lobby dollars exceed these ^ anti legalization dollars it will not be federally legalized.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
POSTED AT 9:04 AM BY LEE FANG

Last year, over 850,000 people in America were arrested for marijuana-related crimes. Despite public opinion, the medical community, and human rights experts all moving in favor of relaxing marijuana prohibition laws, little has changed in terms of policy.

There have been many great books and articles detailing the history of the drug war. Part of America’s fixation with keeping the leafy green plant illegal is rooted in cultural and political clashes from the past.

Amazing, once again, follow the money....

true grit

true grit

Honestly I'm so positive that this doesn't fit their business model that I'm willing to put money on it that big pharma won't get involved heavily.

You might see some extremely marginal involvement from the pharma industry, but I'd expect to see only small players getting involved. You won't see the big boys sitting down at the table, not initially. You will see federal legalization before any of them even consider it. Even after that I'm pretty sure you won't see any of the big stakeholders getting involved. Smaller niche companies will definitely get involved, but this is very different from worrying about big pharma throwing around their political clout.

Sorry but regardless of how you feel, thats still not the case. they have already been granted grow licenses and much of that won't be talked about until they are ready for rescheduling- which until they get what they want ready why would it be brought to public attention. They have also been looking into other avenues of cornering the market. So believe what ya want, but they are ready to get involved.

Even as far as alcohol and tobacco- just because they have their bread and butter and lobby with big pharma to keep things where they are at does not mean they are not preparing for the future as well. I mean big tobacco has been buying land for growing in emerald triangle (and who knows where else) for years now. When i was with Norml, i "believe" (if memory serves me correct) that big pharma, alcohol and tobacco put in/lobbied over 100 billion a year cumulatively to ONDCP/DEA to keep things rolling. pretty nuts. but anyone who thinks they put all their eggs in one basket is just naive.

Top Bottom