Nft vertical grow looking for anyone’s thoughts and recomendations

• Thread starter Checkler92
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Checkler92

Checkler92

Posted this on the introduce your self I think that might have been the wrong place sorry.
New to the site and relatively new to cannabis growing. Working on my vertical grow. Should be finished set up for plants early next week. room is 24x30. Racks are 20ft long and 4 ft wide there are 2 heights on each. 12 nft channels and are 9x3inches. 12 ft ceilings Completely sealed using frp and silicone walls and ceilings so running CO. 30- 6 bar 450watt led lights. 5 ton mini split. 150gal reservoir. Blue lab peri doser running lotus nutes. Have air purifier, Dehu and humidifier. Just in case the room wants to fluctuate either direction. 12 16 inch fans might need more not sure yet we will see. Have a hydrox pro controller and aqua x controlled to control just about everything in the room. Automatic water feed to res. Shooting for full automation except tending to plants. Not really looking for negative comments but would like constructive criticism. With that being said I am looking at running 18 hrs light till plants are approx 12-18 inches and flipping due to limiting height. This is just experimental for me. I wanted to do it this way and doesn’t seem like there is a lot of info out there for nft growing so I decided to post it here for others to see. If you think this is all stupid please move along. Hope to keep post updated daily And learn something from everyone along the way. Here are some pics of the progress.
Nft vertical grow looking for anyones thoughts and recomendations
Nft vertical grow looking for anyones thoughts and recomendations 2
Nft vertical grow looking for anyones thoughts and recomendations 3

Nft vertical grow looking for anyones thoughts and recomendations 4
Checkler92

Checkler92

It has been a min but got everything in and running smooth. Other than humidity I have to get that under control. Running around 35-40% rh when lights on with an 80 pint humidifier so I got a 300 pint and it keeps it right at 55 to 60. Once the lights go off it goes up to 75-80 so getting a bigger Dehu tomorrow to keep that in check. Res temps wouldn’t drop below 73% so had to get another chiller now holding steady at 66*. Have a few stunted plants I shouldn’t have pulled them from cloner but there was only 4 or 5 that are getting left behind but still growing. Being my first grow I have made some mistakes mixed up a 250 ppm n solution for getting them rooted but then the plants started turning bad fast. So I upped it to 500 and nothing after a day or so so I upped it to 750 and things started going bad. Nuke burn and toxicity’s. Probably should have just left it alon. The larger plants seemed to like it but the little ones did not a friend of mine come over to check it out and ended up with 250 with a little bit of cal/mag in it and things were going good till today. When I came in and they were all wilted. They all look like a way overwatered soil plant my co2 was out of propane and levels were under 200 wondering if that had something to do with it. So lots of learning going on. If anyone has grown in nft and wants to give there opinion on these roots it would be greatly appreciated. Had some light coming threw the pool noodles so I covered up with panda paper. Picture is from day 3 or 4 after transplant when I decided to give them stronger nutes. Anyways I am just wingin it trying to keep them Alive. Any tips would be helpful I will post some more pics soon. Keeping a journal of what not to do with nft and will be sure to post it towards the end of the grow! Hopefully it’s not within the next 10 weeks! Right after typing that I knocked on wood. It is really impressive to see such good plants in this site and all the help people give to those that are trying to learn along the way.

A9473030 F21F 4755 8807 D3D391368901
tsukiman13

tsukiman13

It has been a min but got everything in and running smooth. Other than humidity I have to get that under control. Running around 35-40% rh when lights on with an 80 pint humidifier so I got a 300 pint and it keeps it right at 55 to 60. Once the lights go off it goes up to 75-80 so getting a bigger Dehu tomorrow to keep that in check. Res temps wouldn’t drop below 73% so had to get another chiller now holding steady at 66*. Have a few stunted plants I shouldn’t have pulled them from cloner but there was only 4 or 5 that are getting left behind but still growing. Being my first grow I have made some mistakes mixed up a 250 ppm n solution for getting them rooted but then the plants started turning bad fast. So I upped it to 500 and nothing after a day or so so I upped it to 750 and things started going bad. Nuke burn and toxicity’s. Probably should have just left it alon. The larger plants seemed to like it but the little ones did not a friend of mine come over to check it out and ended up with 250 with a little bit of cal/mag in it and things were going good till today. When I came in and they were all wilted. They all look like a way overwatered soil plant my co2 was out of propane and levels were under 200 wondering if that had something to do with it. So lots of learning going on. If anyone has grown in nft and wants to give there opinion on these roots it would be greatly appreciated. Had some light coming threw the pool noodles so I covered up with panda paper. Picture is from day 3 or 4 after transplant when I decided to give them stronger nutes. Anyways I am just wingin it trying to keep them Alive. Any tips would be helpful I will post some more pics soon. Keeping a journal of what not to do with nft and will be sure to post it towards the end of the grow! Hopefully it’s not within the next 10 weeks! Right after typing that I knocked on wood. It is really impressive to see such good plants in this site and all the help people give to those that are trying to learn along the way.
Very nice set up you did here. I’m very curious as to how it working out for you. Maybe do a journal on this set up and grow. That way we all could learn a long the way.
also what did you used to make that nft?

Checkler92

Checkler92

Very nice set up you did here. I’m very curious as to how it working out for you. Maybe do a journal on this set up and grow. That way we all could learn a long the way.
also what did you used to make that nft?
They are 9 inch nft channels from farm tek. So I have been having an issue with the wilting of these plants all of them seem to be doing this. I had a ph issue two days ago were it got down to 4.7 for about 6 hrs because my doser Jose was not at bottom of ph up bottle. they seem to be getting better but the wilting has been there from before but the ph issue just made it worse. I know they start to droop at end of the light cycle and they do more so during that time but they don’t really get the praying hand effect often. My ppms are 800-900 on the 500 scale. Temps hold steady at 75 humidity holds steady at 60% they are getting on average canopy height 600 ppfd. Co2 hangs right around 750 There are no signs of root rot roots look healthy there is a ton of new growth every day. I have adjusted the water flow from about half a gallon a min to 6 gallons a min threw channels and seems to make no difference. My slope on channels is 4 inches over 20 ft. Any help would be appreciated

5508C2C5 AAC9 4A04 9AAA 0253528A83C3
0C12E45E EAF4 48B5 81F8 AA29FB62C64D
Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
This is so way beyond the scope of anything I've ever done but just on intuition they look like they're fighting PH issues to get the nutrients they need when they need them.. and like they have "wet feet" or something but I know its NFT so... 🤔 Hopefully someone with real experience will chime in to help. That's an impressive grow set up! ❤🌱

Checkler92

Checkler92

Thanks for checking out the thread. I really think I got it narrowed down to the very regretful ph fluctuation that I had. The nutes that I have are weird it’s lotus and it’s powdery but A wet powder when I got to the bottom of a jug it was like mud consistency so I called their customer service and said it was normal and it was ok to use so I did and that’s when what what I’m callin the great ph swing of 2020 happened. Talked to a few experienced growers and they said to get away for these nutes if they are inconsistent well my nutrient water will be also. Thinking I’m going to flush and go with advanced

tsukiman13

tsukiman13

Thanks for checking out the thread. I really think I got it narrowed down to the very regretful ph fluctuation that I had. The nutes that I have are weird it’s lotus and it’s powdery but A wet powder when I got to the bottom of a jug it was like mud consistency so I called their customer service and said it was normal and it was ok to use so I did and that’s when what what I’m callin the great ph swing of 2020 happened. Talked to a few experienced growers and they said to get away for these nutes if they are inconsistent well my nutrient water will be also. Thinking I’m going to flush and go with advanced
I’m no expert either and I really admired your grow set up. Also since you’re using co2 and i see that your res is open top... could that be the reason why ph went down so quick? A quick ph fluctuate search came up with “Carbon dioxide is the most common cause of acidity” and from what i know co2 tends to falls down. Idk 🤷‍♂️ maybe?

Checkler92

Checkler92

So I was wondering the same thing but wouldn’t it be doing it all the time? Not just out of the blue almost three weeks in?

Checkler92

Checkler92

So I was wondering the same thing but wouldn’t it be doing it all the time? Not just out of the blue almost three weeks in?
Also I’m getting a top put on it this weekend to make sure that is not the case and running the air hose to outside so I know it’s fresh air going to the aero mixer

Checkler92

Checkler92

Don’t smoke actually was a business adventure that partner went rouge and I was already to far in to just back out so taking a Swag at it. What’s the worst that could happen I loose money in clones and nutes and electric. That’s a lot less than I got into just the ac. Maybe it works out maybe it doesn’t. 😕 I really am enjoying the learning process of it all and I am enjoying the tending also it’s a nice change of pace from working a 9 to 5

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
Don’t smoke actually was a business adventure that partner went rouge and I was already to far in to just back out so taking a Swag at it. What’s the worst that could happen I loose money in clones and nutes and electric. That’s a lot less than I got into just the ac. Maybe it works out maybe it doesn’t. 😕
I was only joking 😁
But you are obviously not a quitter so I think it will work out for you, best of luck with it 😎

Checkler92

Checkler92

So I think I narrowed the wilting down to my co2 burner. When I hooked it up it was burning a nice blue now it looks like in the picture. I think since I had my ph issue it threw me off as to why the plants were wilting. Was looking at it as a res problem when I think it was all the carbon monoxide being pumped into room. So I let the room air out and the burner off for a day now and they seem to be overcoming the wilting. And recovering nicely to the ph issue. There are some pictures of the wilting down below so if anyone has a wilting problem they can compare because I’m pretty sure that’s what it was. May sound silly but the only reason I noticed was that I had to remove my chillers out of the room and I drilled two holes to outside for the lines to run but haven’t gotten to sealing them up yet I knew there was always a slight draft not much but a little and the plant right next to that seemed to never had an issue. And well after being in there for a few hours I got this killer headache. Which made me check the burner. I’m going to get an air monitor that will show all of the gasses in the air for 80$ off amazon so this doesn’t happen again. Also getting a carbon monoxide alarm too. Will let y’all know if the wilting continues just in case I’m wrong

3B40D035 143F 402B 9A49 6C02AB15C9D9
3792320B 64E4 4368 93D5 9009C0135AD2
B3F27D7F 9B09 493D AA5B 9FC2AC999A08
2AA1D107 321B 41C0 B046 8F413AAD21FF
Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Excellent detective work there mate! Looks like you've got a lot on the line so it’s great to see you working it out.

🌱

tsukiman13

tsukiman13

So were you able to get it back to normal? Update some pics please 😁 i wanna see it.

Checkler92

Checkler92

A Lot has happened since I last posted. The day after I got the burner situation handled somehow (or someone) my pump became unplugged. That was a bad deal plants went 18 hrs without water! Not good I thought for sure I was gonna loose all of them! But somehow they came back. These plants really surprise me. But with what I would say is dead roots in the channels I am now taking care of a mild case of root rot. Hydro guard seems to be handling it very well as they are getting better every day. The plants still seem a little droopy to me but not anything like they were. About 6 days after pump got unplugged I switched my nutes away from lotus to advanced 2 part sensi grow got some cal mag too and dialing that in over the last few days. Since then plant growth seems to be more uniform. With that lotus it was weird one plant would be growing like crazy and next day it would measure the same but have some yellow leaves... weird tho. here are some pics. If anyone knows what’s up with the single plant in the pic let me know I am at a loss with it can’t seem to match it to a problem with nutes or environment so guessing it is part of the root rot. But been like this since the pump went out. I thought it was the lights but raised them and no change.

39888E25 F5B0 4E34 BAA5 BF387C847A13
67E1E03A 4AFF 4DE9 8054 B57B988AE876
743B79E2 73CE 46DD A197 1D610605D4AE
C27F4ADB FABC 4BC9 A00E 16B77667C7DF
Checkler92

Checkler92

Those pics are from last Wednesday got a trellis up and plants are larger. Don’t really know what I’m doing on the defoliating but I have taken a lot of leaves and lower little stems off this past week. I have a friend coming out tomorrow to help me get them ready to flip to flower. And the stocks seem really big to me. the majority of the plants stock is starting to push against the bore of the pool noodle but the plants aren’t but 20-30 inches. I’ve seen plants 6 foot tall with smaller stocks than these. Seems odd

Latest posts

Top Bottom