nice substitute to pricey hydro specific fluorescents

• Thread starter 1971
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Home Depot has a Hi-Bay 6 light t-8 setup that looks a whole lot like the quantum bad boys but only $79.

Since I use fluor. for vegging, I'm not concerned about those overpriced 50+ wattt lamps.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

interesting question,id like to know if there is any difference also.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
t-8 is not as high output as t5 - which the bad boy is

I pulled stats off a bulb website for 4 footers

t-8
Light Output: 1800 Lumens
Energy Used: 32 watts
Type:T8

shop light
Light Output: 3550 Lumens
Energy Used: 40 Watts
Type: T10
clear1x1.gif

t-5
Light Output: 4450 Lumens
Energy Used: 54 watts
Bulb Type: T5
clear1x1.gif

20 dollar shop light would seem to be better then the t-8s

R

RareDanknessRep

I've been putting together cheapo shoplights for early veg for like 20 bucks each from Home Depot & Walmart - I kinda got nervous about spectrum, so I've been finishing under MHs, but if I can put those kilowatt hours towards the flower room, that'd be awesome! Does it matter what type of flourescent bulb you put in the fixture?

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
i do my clones under regular cool white bulbs man - works like a charm - once they get to about 4-5" or are in the way I throw them under t-5s

flowering might be a diferent story though and I have never used any flouros for flower

I have to say Im tempted to try and flower some short bushes under my 8 banger t5 - may happen in the future if I run out of room

mikeb437

mikeb437

what about the cfl's, do they give off a better light than the t5's?

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
never tried cfls - but honestly I have never seen anything veg so nice as t5s and Im a big mh fan

the thing to remember is that you don't need high output lamps for vegging clones nor do you need fancy plant specific lamps. i have clones that are now 12" under my t-8's and they are bushing and compact :)

now if you flower with fluorescents, well, you shouldn't be doing that.

I guess what I wanted to show was that their is a much cheaper solution to the high priced fluor. options at hydro stores. if you look in my gallery, you'll see a couple pics of my clones and they look pretty decent at a fraction of the quantums

R

recreationaluse

imo for vegging ive had just as good luck with t5, t8, or even t12. they will all do really good if you stay under 12-16" plant heigth. t5 is REALLY GOOD if u want to get taller or if you want the luxury of being able to put some distance between tops and lights

exactly... the bottom line is that you don't need pricey hydro specific units and this hibay light from HD is really good value for the price.

Latest posts

Top Bottom