Night time temperature in my grow room gets down to 50 and 60 degrees good or bad

• Thread starter 420woods
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dizzyhart

dizzyhart

I'm with Jack, with the caveat that you should let the plants tell you.

I've been running 71 during the day and letting it get down to 59 at nights without anything herming. It's not the cold that is a stressor as much as the contrast between the min and max temps in a 24 hour period (aka diurnal shifts).

Genetics is also a huge factor in herming. If you're growing something with genetics from Hawaii or Jamaica, those are going to be less likely to react well to cold weather well than something from Nepal or Bhutan.

Humidity is also important. Lower temps can be run if you're operating in the right VPD area. When are you watering?
you are right I stay with warm blooded beans my self

420woods

420woods

I've been running 71 during the day and letting it get down to 59 at nights without anything herming. It's not the cold that is a stressor as much as the contrast between the min and max temps in a 24 hour period (aka diurnal shifts).

Genetics is also a huge factor in herming. If you're growing something with genetics from Hawaii or Jamaica, those are going to be less likely to react well to cold weather well than something from Nepal or Bhutan.

Humidity is also important. Lower temps can be run if you're operating in the right VPD area. When are you watering?
Every other day a gallon or half a gallon

umop apisdn

umop apisdn

So in Nepal, or another origin land where a certain strain may be from,supposedly those climates are best for those strains, right? But if that's the case, why do I always see those strains struggling to grow in the wild without human intervention? In those supposedly perfect climates, those strains don't always look so great. But then you get then under good artificial lights, with good nutrients, adjust their temps, schedules, everything.... and end up with a much better looking final product, right?

So then why are we trying to replicate nature if we see better results otherwise? I might guess those plants in Nepal could do better in many other climates.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Every other day a gallon or half a gallon
Also that's a lot of water unless you have a huge pot?

Edit: read through and I disagree with letting it get that cold, particularly with a 20° temp change. I find below 66°f my water uptake and growth rate nearly stops

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

ALL seeds originate in very warm climates try keeping your temp from dropping to much mine goes 85 to 81 I freak at 80 I've lost three girls to 78 degree when electricity went out when I was at work
I'm wondering if they're runnin diox. 80, wouldn't matter... if so.

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

So in Nepal, or another origin land where a certain strain may be from,supposedly those climates are best for those strains, right? But if that's the case, why do I always see those strains struggling to grow in the wild without human intervention? In those supposedly perfect climates, those strains don't always look so great. But then you get then under good artificial lights, with good nutrients, adjust their temps, schedules, everything.... and end up with a much better looking final product, right?

So then why are we trying to replicate nature if we see better results otherwise? I might guess those plants in Nepal could do better in many other climates.
someone's about to incite a riot. lmao. DOGPILE! ur gonna get the phonebook, with that question... n ones like it.
"get down, shut up..."... INCOMING! (forest gump- just pullin ur leg. keep reading...

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

whoever posted the pics:

the anomalies...
800+ppm? ...

Screenshot 20200103 123509 Chrome
Screenshot 20200103 123539 Chrome
Screenshot 20200103 123528 Chrome
SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

any article one might read, re. lighting... synthetic lighting... is likely to mention humans have yet, to create any light that can truly, replicate the sun, or do as well...
i.e.START, or please continue reading/with ur research.

no doubt, sum may read this n disagree... but they're not likely to b as correct as, "cannot yet replicate"... apologize to mother nature, before she bytch slaps u, with lighting karma.

it's an obsolete book, btw... hopefully, the pot schools, have more current, curriculum...
that's ed's mj growers handbook.

20200103 125359
20200103 125455
20200103 125450
20200103 125440
20200103 125406
Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Respectfully, I think you probably have a skewed idea of what "perfect" plants are supposed to be. You're looking at wild nightshade plants and wondering why they aren't black krim tomatoes, essentially.

Plants will always be more "perfect" indoors because the grower is in control of the stressors. So they're not getting hailed on, they're not getting eaten by the native animals, trampled, burned, peed on, etc.

You're also not taking into account how environment plays into phenotypic expression. Anyone can take an Afghan landrace and grow it indoors, but the final product will differ vastly from that same landrace grown where it naturally grows in things like leaf shape, aroma, anthocyanins, even the terp profile. The plant will evolve differently in different microclimates, so it's difficult to make any accurate generalizations about where it would grow "best" without actually testing it.

Just like perfect tomatoes and peppers don't really exist in the wild.

420woods

420woods

Also that's a lot of water unless you have a huge pot?

Edit: read through and I disagree with letting it get that cold, particularly with a 20° temp change. I find below 66°f my water uptake and growth rate nearly stops
10 gallon pots what I use

umop apisdn

umop apisdn

Respectfully, I think you probably have a skewed idea of what "perfect" plants are supposed to be. You're looking at wild nightshade plants and wondering why they aren't black krim tomatoes, essentially.

Plants will always be more "perfect" indoors because the grower is in control of the stressors. So they're not getting hailed on, they're not getting eaten by the native animals, trampled, burned, peed on, etc.

You're also not taking into account how environment plays into phenotypic expression. Anyone can take an Afghan landrace and grow it indoors, but the final product will differ vastly from that same landrace grown where it naturally grows in things like leaf shape, aroma, anthocyanins, even the terp profile. The plant will evolve differently in different microclimates, so it's difficult to make any accurate generalizations about where it would grow "best" without actually testing it.

Just like perfect tomatoes and peppers don't really exist in the wild.

Thank you for that explanation as I'm very new to this and have been learning so much, so thanks again!

So what do you think you could grow better with the exact same amount of care...

a. The Afghan landrace in it's own origin, outdoors, with protection from wildlife etc, with your choice of nutrients, total control...
b. The Afghan landrace indoors, with your choice of nutrients, lights, total control...

?

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Thank you for that explanation as I'm very new to this and have been learning so much, so thanks again!

So what do you think you could grow better with the exact same amount of care...

a. The Afghan landrace in it's own origin, outdoors, with protection from wildlife etc, with your choice of nutrients, total control...
b. The Afghan landrace indoors, with your choice of nutrients, lights, total control...

?

Sure thing. I'm a plant nerd, so nerding out is one of my favorite things.

There are so many factors that I wouldn't be able to say for sure either way. The quality of the sunlight outdoors is undeniably better than even the best led's now, but it would depend on the local microclimate, how many cloudy days there are per year, whether or not it hails there, the natural predators...

Remember that plant dna is not fixed from parent to offspring, it actually changes as the plant grows so that the plant's offspring have a better chance to survive in the climate that it was grown in. So the exact same genetics, treated in different ways over a few generations, can produce different offspring that are more suited to that environment. That's why landrace seeds are generally sold as IBL -to stabilize the genetics so they can be grown more easily indoors.

What I can say for sure is that I'd love to smoke both side by side and see the differences! 😄

Top Bottom