nitrogen levels & cloning

• Thread starter tenacious
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

tenacious

Supporter
my mother plant[chronic by serious seeds] is quite large & now just-over a year old. i am thinking of taking clones from the original seed plant now to make new mothers. they should be about 6 weeks rooted by the 1st of april. which should give me enough plant material to collect the nesesary dna needed.
i had been trying[oct-jan] to leach out most nitrogen by feeding flower nutrient or by feeding pure h20 only. this has left me w/ a sickly [yellowish]looking plant, so i gave up on that tech & returned w/ a high nitrogen gro-nutrient solution.
is this something anyone else has experience with???? should the diet of the mother be changed at all prior to taking cuttings?!?!? i have also sprayed [plain h20]the under-sides of the leaves as well in an attempt to lech-out nitrogen. is this a waste of time & effort? what do you advise???

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
The mother should be as healthy as possible if you're looking to take cuttings.

mace

mace

agreed, i dont understand why you would want to try and leech the nitrogen out before taking cuttings.

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Probably read something about bumping P to induce rooting faster.

T: Clones closest to the bottom generally root faster and more consistently. When you clone them soak their medium in a solution that has a drop or two of bloom nutrient to bump up the P.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Low nitrogen levels at cloning is one of those old gardening myth's that's been around for as long as I've been surfing grow forums. Never seen any proof of it so it's still a myth in my book.

jj

T

tenacious

Supporter
i was under the impresion that nitrogen[w/in the plant] inhibited rooting. i certainly prefer to keep my mother in full health at all times. leaching just before taking cuttings always seemed counter productive, but the info came directly from experienced growers in amsterdam.

B

been

I get bad results with soft cuttings that are uber-green. I know that new growth has the most nitrogen so IMHO there is something to this. It's easier in water and perhaps aero, but rockwool/Oasis hortis/Rapid Rooters make it tough.

B

Bud Garret

What hererisssh said; A healthy mom will produce the best clones.

D

d-storecowboy

You only give plain water for 24 hours before and spray the plants leaves with plain water. That is all you need to do to leech the nitrogen and that is not long enough to give the plant a deficiency. It doesn't have to be done, but it definately speeds up rooting. I was taking 50- 75 per mother every week doing this followed by giving a high nitrogen fert after taking them and I never developed nute problems.

Latest posts

Top Bottom