NITROGEN TOXICITY... DID YOU EVER HAVE IT?

• Thread starter SnappyJack
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SnappyJack

SnappyJack

Please take a good look at the plant below:

Nitrogen toxicity did you ever have it

(okay... that's enough... merely a distraction.. read on)

If you never had nitrogen toxicity ... do not answer this post / questionnaire
Sorry.. but I / the future cannabis growers of the world really have no interest in textbook answers..
or those without actual experience..

Now for those who definitely know they had experienced that in one their grows ...please list every action taken...
1st signs.. treatments.. days to recovery ... their success with it or the worse aftermath...

More than just satisfying my curiosity... think of the
Generations Of Cannabis Farmers You Will Be Helping

(Remember your personal experiences only. why? because that is just the kind of guy I am)
(Part of the "Just for fun series")

Last edited:
Eledin

Eledin

Signs and all possible causes
Big leaves clawing. Sometimes but not always they can get a dark green colour, sometimes shiny. Usually starts randomly or from the bottom. Think how much nitrogen you have been using, sometimes the recommended doses can be too much for phenotypes or strains that are not very hungry.
If it happens only on the top canopy and the leaves dont show particularly any of the previous symptoms:
1. Light or heat stress: either the intensity of the light or the heat is making the leaves unhappy.
2. Wind stress: you most likely have the fan that you use to move air pointing towards the plants. Dont do that, the fan must be ABOVE the canopy and never pointing directly towards the plants in a small indoors.
3. Overwatering or underwatering.

Treatments
1. Nitrogen toxicity
1.1. If you are using synthetic nutrients, a quick flush might help you. If you flush, youre removing all the nutrients not just nitrogen so reintroduce them in a more moderate dose shortly after or the plant might show deficiencies.
1.2. If youre using organic liquid nutrients and microorganisms: organic should give you enough time to catch the symptoms early but if its already too late you will wanna flush heavily and restore nutrients and microorganisms with a light feeding. Organic is harder to remove from the soil hence why the heavy flush. It will take some time for your soil to go back to what it was, a week or two maybe, stunted or slow growth might happen during that time.
1.3. If youre using organic dry ammendments mixed with the soil: a heavy flush might help you, or make it worse, youre kinda screwed, pray for it to not make your buds ugly and unsmokable. If youre top dressing though, remove the top layer of the soil and reintroduce more moderate quantities, you can always add more later if the plant asks you to.
2. Light or heat stress: either dimm the lights a little bit or pull them higher. Dont go closer than what your retailer recommends to make sure youre not overwhelming the plant with light. For heat, even if you have a thermometer in the tent the temperature close to the LEDs is gonna be much higher, place your hand where your top canopy is, if the temperature is noticeable hoter (by noticeable I mean that you can tell the difference, doesnt need to be a lot) then you might have a problem. If you wanna test the temperature; more than 80ºF or 30ºC can cause stress to the plant, less than 50ºF or 12ºC can cause stress to the plant (when its too cold sometimes the leaves might show blue colour, not to confuse with the natural blue that some strains have. In this case the blue is gonna come with the leaf looking "weird"). High temperature fluctuations between day and night cycle can also cause stress.
3. Wind stress: move your fan higher, if its still causing a lot of movement point it upwards. You want a gentle breeze so the leaves barely move and the thin stems stay mostly in place.
4. Overwatering or underwatering: if the soil is moist, let it dry, if the plant goes mostly to normal after a few days youre overwatering. If the soil is dry and the pot doesnt weight much, give it a good watering until you get some runoff, if it goes mostly back to normal then that was the problem. If youre using textile pots you will notice that when you underwater dry pockets form making the water come from the sides of the pot instead of going down. That can also happen if you water very fast, preventing the water to reach the bottom. When in doubt, you can do a light bottom watering after you water the plant from the top. Try to avoid the medium from going too dry so you dont have to keep bottom watering your plants or watering very slowly because of the dry pockets.

TO CONSIDER
Damaged leaves will never go back to normal, the only time you will see leaves recovering is when theyre thirsty and you water them or had too much water and you let them recover, and even then you can cause permanet damage if not adressed in time. Ex: you can cause root rot if you overwater a lot, in which case youre gonna cause irreversible damage to the plant, not only the leaves but leaves are the ones that speak (let you know something is wrong). You will know that the problem is over when it stops getting worse, if its not getting better after adressing all these points, your plant is most likely damaged beyond repair.

There are countless sites that will give you similar information, thats because they cant diagnose your plants because they dont know what youre feeding them, how often you water, what lights and what distance and a long etc... many times you will see people like me using such links because honestly, writing a post like this every time someone asks if they have nitrogen toxicity or whats happening to their plants is tiring. Hopefully this post will kill a few birds with one stone but new posts about it will keep appearing.

Last edited:
Eledin

Eledin

Those "textbook" answers are written by people who have experienced those problems. Theyre cannabis growers like me and many in this site that happen to write in a website thats all. There's no easy answer to "whats wrong with my plants" unless its your grow and youre an experienced grower. Sometimes we can literally see the problem because is in the picture like advanced botrytis, oidium, trips if we get a close up of the leaves from top and bottom... but most times is not that easy and even then we require the poster to give us pictures and information if they havent done it in the initial post.

SnappyJack

SnappyJack

As always a multitude of input... with some very good information in their... thanks!

This thread was my intention to push the boundaries.. I wanted to see / find growers who actually experienced Nitrogen toxicity and could / would contributed their individual solutions or actions
for them to tell their story.

In my current thread I make an effort to list all the details of my 2nd grow.. the soil medium.. the fertilizers.. the amendments.. light watts.. distance.. temperature..thoughts and much more.. all with the intent to document my process... possibly to help some future growers.. for them to see what he/she could experience and how issues could be handled if they follow on a similar path.. I don't have any reserves in showing my mistakes and corrections.

I know that if I take a break from growing.. I can comeback here a year later and refresh my memory on a grow I did and repeat it with success...

I think it's time for a different way of telling a story.. learning a lesson...
showing... making content.. not repeating it.

(last wishes of a dying old man)

Last edited:
figolus

figolus

An excess of nitrogen to catch up is not easy. It all depends on excess.
Too rich soil? As I could see in a photo of Budsofgeorgia ...
Replace the plant in a light soil and watering with clear water ... Maybe it can work.

If it is too full of soup nutrients, perhaps rinse with clear water, several times while checking the EC of excess water in the drain, until the drain EC is the same that the water with which we have watering....maybe it Can work

🤣 Fuck (excuse My English) ... Divide the dosage of nitrogen in two and you will have no problem.

It's easier to catch up with a deficiency than excess ...

Last edited:
Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
I mean, if you were new once, and decided to get into the weeds with nutrition, damn right you have had it, imo it’s also a necessity to run into it, if you ever felt the need to share knowledge on growing, which is all of us, get any grower talking about cultivation, best of luck shutting the dude up, as you slowly but surely make your way to the door, then your car door, then your ignition, then to the key jingle and the “I really have to go now man” as you amost run a hippy over 🤣kinda hard to call a spade a spade, when you don’t know what a spade is. but yeah, I’ve had nitrogen toxicity 😂😂😂😂

budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

I mean, if you were new once, and decided to get into the weeds with nutrition, damn right you have had it, imo it’s also a necessity to run into it, if you ever felt the need to share knowledge on growing, which is all of us, get any grower talking about cultivation, best of luck shutting the dude up, as you slowly but surely make your way to the door, then your car door, then your ignition, then to the key jingle and the “I really have to go now man” as you amost run a hippy over 🤣kinda hard to call a spade a spade, when you don’t know what a spade is. but yeah, I’ve had nitrogen toxicity 😂😂😂😂
who you trying to shut up ?

Eledin

Eledin

It’s a joke dude! No one really, just the grower who never shuts up, which is every grower I’ve ever met. 👊🏻🤡
My best friend is a grower and disagrees with you, apparently I talk too much about weed, can you believe it? There's no such thing! 😅
No but thats accurate to be honest.
I should have added a warning, I didnt clarify that you shouldnt flush unless the problem is serious, a few leaves with nitrogen toxicity is fine just correct the problem before it gets worse. Flushing the plant is a very serious decision specially if youre growing organic. Im honestly surprised that no one called me out about me recomending to flush without clarifying that the problem should be just more than a couple of clawed leaves. Probably because my post is super long... I wanted to cover problems that might look like nitrogen toxicity but are not.

Last edited:
B

BuffNuts

View attachment 2144367

That's not nitrogen toxicity. Nitrogen toxicity isn't a thing. As long as you are processing nitrogen it's creating proteins. Show me one life form suffering from excess protein. It's a boron phosphorus deficiency. Many aminos antagonize calcium.

If you aren't processing nitrate/nitrite/urea/ammonia, that's a deficiency. People call it nitrogen deficiency but it's usually molybdenum. No one who talks about this shit weed forums graduated high school and therefore doesn't know what they are talking about. They can't do basic math or chemistry.

SnappyJack

SnappyJack

BuffNuts... Jimmy wants to ask you.. what U smoking?

He's asking me... " WHATS THAT MUTHA TALKING ABOUT"

So I'll have to ask you
(other wise he won't stop bugging me) .... can you go into bit more detail?

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter

View attachment 2144367

Sorry.. but I / the future cannabis growers of the world really have no interest in textbook answers..
or those without actual experience..

Now for those who definitely know they had experienced that in one their grows ...please list every action taken...
1st signs.. treatments.. days to recovery ... their success with it or the worse aftermath...

More than just satisfying my curiosity... think of the
Generations Of Cannabis Farmers You Will Be Helping

(Remember your personal experiences only. why? because that is just the kind of guy I am)
(Part of the "Just for fun series")

Nitrogen clawing builds character as long as it's not in flower 🤷‍♂️

Eledin

Eledin

That's not nitrogen toxicity. Nitrogen toxicity isn't a thing. As long as you are processing nitrogen it's creating proteins. Show me one life form suffering from excess protein. It's a boron phosphorus deficiency. Many aminos antagonize calcium.

If you aren't processing nitrate/nitrite/urea/ammonia, that's a deficiency. People call it nitrogen deficiency but it's usually molybdenum. No one who talks about this shit weed forums graduated high school and therefore doesn't know what they are talking about. They can't do basic math or chemistry.
Have you ever grown your own plants? If you are doing it right now I invite you to give 3 times the dosage of nitrogen addapting the other nutrients accordingly or by itself, in either case youre gonna get nitrogen toxicity, doesnt matter if you add more boron or phophorus, in fact if you keep adding to keep the ratios according to nitrogen youre gonna get nute burn 100% also. EVERYTHING in too much quantities is bad, every-single-chemical-no-matter-how-good-for-you-or-your-plants. Who are you to call people here uneducated? I dont care if you have a degree in chemistry or plant biology, you clearly have no clue what youre talking about right now. Drop your books and do a grow, you will see that knowledge is great, but there are things that you will ony see/understand when they happen to you and you have to fix them. Many people here have decades of experience with growing weed, how about you? I cant see anything in your profile from your "non undeducated" ass. I think your approach also makes people ignore your posts and you in general, you have a bad attitude, who hurted you?
"Show me one life form suffering from excess protein"

So your degree is not in nutrition, that much is clear.

Last edited:
Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter

I wrote out a longer reply and erased it last night, woke up and read this again, I’m just going to say this……

STFU.

please.

Do it.

Someone named “buffnuts” is slurping too much of his own sauce….yeah, that sauce…..

Top Bottom